ATM & Credit Card Usage Safe?

Old Apr 13th, 2017, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ATM & Credit Card Usage Safe?

Next month, we are visiting (via cruise ship) a very small and remote city in Russia. Do any of you experienced Russia travelers have any security reservations about using credit cards and/or ATM cards?

Old Apr 13th, 2017, 06:10 AM

Most credit card companies and banks offer protection if a credit or debit card is fraudulently hacked. Ask and set your mind at ease.

Otherwise, keep your valuables secure and be aware of your surroundings, the same way you would whether you're in Siberia or Manhattan.
Old Apr 13th, 2017, 09:33 PM

What is the name of the very small and remote city?
And, if you have reservations, why not get a prepaid Visa or MasterCard?
Old Apr 14th, 2017, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

We are visiting Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky. It's actually in Siberia and on the Kamchatka Peninsula.

"And, if you have reservations, why not get a prepaid Visa or MasterCard?"

Let me think about that.

Old Apr 14th, 2017, 11:18 AM

I suppose that would be an option for the ATM card, anyway. What difference does it make with the credit card, you aren't liable anyway. Just make sure you have more than one. Now even if you aren't liable for ATM fraud (although some of those terms are a bit trickier as to when you aren't), it is a lot more trouble as the money is taken out of your account.

So the prepaid card isn't a terrible idea if it works to take out cash, although it will cost you, of course. Some have much better terms than others so check around. I think Walmart's isn't bad, believe it or not, at least the fees are reasonable compared to many of those. It does charge 3 pct foreign transaction fee, though.
https://www.walmartmoneycard.com/acc...br&doc=feeplan

Depends how nervous you are about using your ATM card there, I guess. The only thing that isn't clear about that is how you close it out and if there is a fee for that. I notice it has a $5 monthly maintenance fee so if you just bought it for a trip and then didn't want it, so went home and took out all the money left at a Walmart ATM or whatever, how do you officially close the account? I have no idea.

If your question is not fraud but whether you will even be able to used a CC or ATM card in this remote place, I have no idea.