Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

10 days in the Netherlands--help please

Search

10 days in the Netherlands--help please

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2017, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We just spent a few days in Amsterdam last summer. We did many of things things in the city you mentioned. Our favorite part of our stay was a half-day bike ride that went from downtown straight south along the Amstel River. There are roads on each side of the river with very little car traffic. We went under the A9 road almost down to the A10 where we crossed the river and made our way back on the west side. There are many bike tour places and we used Mike's Bike Tours and were really happy http://www.mikesbiketoursamsterdam.com/.

But if you can take the bike ride that isabel did I'd do that one...beautiful!
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 09:22 AM

Wekiva, I do a lot of cycling (training for endurance) to Amsterdam and back from Rotterdam, and one of the most beautiful routes for me is one that ends with taking me into the city along the Amstel.

PortiaLucy, I'm guessing your B&B is in Twello or in Stenen Kamer. If you're in Twello, consider paying a visit to Hof van Twello, a thriving permaculture farm, with a great shop, carrying food from artisanal local producers. You can explore the garden, and they have a place for coffee and cake. While you're there, ask them about their project to build a truly local economy and build a new commons.

http://www.hofvantwello.nl
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

The B&B (Deventer Bed & Breakfast Huize "De Worp") describes its location as being behind the dike and just across the river by ferry from the heart of Deventer. So I was assuming we could easily cross the river and explore whatever there is to explore, including dinner. But the Hof van Twello looks like a wonderful meal option as well. We prefer eating local and lean toward vegetarian. Like Wallace and Grommit, we love the idea of a cheese vacation but don't want to travel all the way to the moon. At least Twello is not that far.

I will keep everyone's suggested bike routes in mind. We will definitely try to cycle when we can. When in Rome--or in this case, the Netherlands...

Thanks again.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 10:31 AM

PortiaLucy, If you visit Haarlem try Brinkman's restaurant. It is right on the Grote Markt, has outdoor seating as most do there and best of all has fine vegetarian selections. DW and I particularly recommend the vegetarian pancake which is huge and delicious. We had several of our meals there. Along the side of the cathedral is a wonderful gelato shop with unusual flavors. I thought the pear gelato was particularly good. There are 4 trains/hour from A'dam to Haarlem for a 15 minute trip. The walk from the station to Grote Markt is about 10 minutes. Walking back beware of the hand painted arrow saying "Station" in the corner of the Grote Markt. Unless it has been fixed, it points in the wrong direction.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 10:34 AM

De Worp, very nice! That's such a good location. I guessed it would be near Stenen Kamer. Wasn't off by much. The ferry is lovely and you get to see Deventer at its most beautiful, fronting the IJssel river. A Bridge Too Far was shot there, because Arnhem was too much rebuilt after destruction during Market Garden.

Don't know which day of the week you'll be there: Tuesday - Thursday, HvT does dinner for groups only, Friday+Saturday it's everyone welcome in their greenhouse (Glazen Hof). Lunch is throughout the week.

Disclaimer: I've had something to do with the establishment of the first permaculture garden there. I also used to go there a lot for group gatherings at Sterrenland: a working farm where a majority of the workforce are people with learning disabilities. They have a shop, and - again - it's near HvT and where you're staying.

http://sterrenland.com

When you go to Kroller Muller, you can borrow bikes at the entrance to Park De Hoge Veluwe. In fact, you'll pay for entrance to the park and to the museum, they're two separate things. It would be nice if you had the time to cycle beyond K-M towards the Planken Wambuis entrance of the park, or to the St Hubertus Hunting Lodge (Berlage was its architect). I usually cross Hoge Veluwe coming from Arnhem, to the Otterlo entrance and I'm always awed at how beautiful it is, and how it packs such diversity into what isn't that large an area.

Have a great time.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 01:56 PM

<i>basingstoke2 on Mar 15, 17 at 2:31pm
PortiaLucy, If you visit Haarlem try Brinkman's restaurant. It is right on the Grote Markt, has outdoor seating as most do there and best of all has fine vegetarian selections.</i>

Nothing against eating vegan but Grand Café Brinkmann also has a fantastic burger. If the sky is dripping the interior is a well-lighted place thanks to south facing huge windows.

The service is slow. Did I say the service is VERY slow? It is VERY slow.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 02:15 PM

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. Brinkman's has a large menu with many entries appropriate for vegetarians.
Old Mar 15th, 2017, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

You are all fabulous! My only regret is that I won't have enough time or room in my stomach for all these great suggestions. We will indeed be in the area on Saturday, so Glazen Hof is still possible. And how did you know, basingstoke2, that ice cream/gelato is our #1 vice?

I thought I was done with most of our preparations, but now perhaps I should watch a Bridge Too Far.
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 04:22 PM

We will be in the Netherlands the end of April. Could anyone please recommend lodging in Zwolle?
Old Feb 21st, 2024, 10:03 PM

danen5: better start a new thread with your question, this one is from 2017.