Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Three regions of Greece - Which to choose?

Old Nov 5th, 2016, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone,

After researching Greece as a summer destination for next June or July, we have the following three areas to choose from, all landing in Athens, where we will spend two nights, before continuing our vacation:

1. Driving west to the Ionian Islands, through the Peloponnese, spending 12 to 14 days in three of them, maybe even getting as far north as Corfu.

2. Driving northeast to the Macedonia region.

3. Flying to Crete where we would spend the whole two weeks.

We have asked about Macedonia in another post and received some very useful information and we have decided on the above three choices and need some help deciding.

Thank you very much.
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 09:53 AM

If you really want to see the best of Greece than start in Athens, explore Attica, make a loop around the Peloponnese, drive across the bridge of Patras to the mainland, see Delphi and Meteora and drive back to Athens.

And forget about the islands.

Or spend two weeks on Crete. But this is just a secondary option.
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 09:58 AM

This thread may be helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...wards-2016.cfm
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 10:10 AM
Original Poster

I did say we would drive through the Peloponnese, but I think we should stop there.
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 10:20 AM

You should stop there at about 15 places. You find them all in the thread mentioned above.

I will be happy to answer further questions (maybe tomorrow because it's evening here in Europe).
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 11:40 AM
kja

It might help if you clarify what information you need beyond that which you've gotten on the many threads you've already posted, e.g.,
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...nia-greece.cfm
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...in-15-days.cfm
Old Nov 5th, 2016, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

My post/question is very reasonable and clear and all I request is information like that offered by the other generous people that answered before you.

So, again, if you do not have anything to offer, please do not answer my posts (
by the way, only one of the links you mentioned is mine).

Thank you.
Old Nov 6th, 2016, 12:34 AM

You have three good trips planned there, so the question should be: "Which should I do first?"

For someone who has never been to Greece before, and is interested in history and ancient sites, then the Peloponnese would be my first choice, and not just as a way to reach the Ionian Islands. The beaches in the southern Peloponnese are better than those on the islands anyway.

Macedonia would be an interesting trip, especially if you've seen other parts of Greece before. Many people on this forum, including myself, tend to go to the same places each trip, and suggest them because that is all they know.

Crete would also be a good choice, and you could hedge your bets by spending a week there and another week in Athens and part of the Peloponnese, basing yourself in Nafplio.

There are no bad choices, so in the end it's what you want to do rather than what anyone else thinks.
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 08:00 AM

Hi sofaraway,

We were in Rhodes a few years ago and absolutely loved it. The mix of cultures, history, great beaches and its magnificent walled medieval town made our time there very special. Maybe you should consider a trip to both Crete and Rhodes.

Let me know if you need any information.

Andrea
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 08:55 AM
Original Poster

Hi Andrea,

Thank you for your suggestion. I will definitely look into a combination of both Crete and Rhodes, but my gut tells me to travel through the Peloponnese.

Where in Rhodes did you stay? Which hotel? For how long?

Let me know.
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 11:07 AM

The Peloponnese! I moved there in 2006 & we only sold our house there last year as I had to move to Athens for work. There is so much to see, take a look through these collections to give you some ideas,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yiassa...7625881425523/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yiassa...7624647870023/
Ask for any further details on particular places
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 11:17 AM
kja

Answering one's own questions under different names would, IMO, be quite pathetic.
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 11:42 AM

The Peloponnese! I moved there in 2006 & we only sold our house there last year as I had to move to Athens for work. There is so much to see, take a look through these collections to give you some ideas,
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yiassa...7625881425523/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/yiassa...7624647870023/
Ask for any further details on particular places
Old Nov 12th, 2016, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

Yes, it would, kja, if that were true. More pathetic than that, actually, is your obsession with me and my posts. Time for you to get a hobby or something else to occupy your time.

Thanks yiassas. We are really leaning towards the Peloponnese. Your photos are wonderful and we are starting to plan now and I will ask you for further advice, if you don't mind.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Hi yiassas or anyone else that can help,

Where would you recommend we stay for 4 or 5 days along the South Peloponnese coast?

We would want a gorgeous beach, of course, and be in or very close to a medieval town where we can walk and dine in the evenings.

Thank you.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 04:25 PM

Ideal place (if you promise not to tell another soul!!) is Hotel Zoe in Gialova, about 15 km north of Pylos. http://www.zoeresort.com/index.html the website was retitled Zoe Resort, but don't let that put you off ... it's a lovely family-owned place, NOT a Resort with spas & foot massage. It is on a DIVINE beach miles & miles long ... since I discovered it it has become my secret Eden. I've been there 2 or 3 x in June, which is the perfect month. I come on the bus, exhausted after an energetic trip with 4-5 newbies ... I lie on the sand for 3-4 days, hike, swim, dine and am reborn.

It has 2 buildings one is the original, directly on the sand, with a small group of shady palms in front, the other behind it, facing on their pool.... it has some larger apartments. But yo want the beachfront one, balconies have canvas awnings, where you can sit looking down thru the palms to the sea ... in the shade are deep woven basket chairs where dignified Englishmen sit, reading Dickens novels. The water is deep aquamarine. At 5 pm a few cars drive up and park on the empty pier; greek daddies pile out with kiddies, and cavort in the water befor going home to dinner. Under the palms, as the sun sets, lanterns light up. There are tables along gravel paths. A nice middle-aged greek lady approaches to discuss what's for dinner. at the desk in the lobby, you can chat with Zoe; her grandfather named the place for her when she was a baby. Now she's 30, grad of major university., fluent in English, manages the place.

Gialova is a tiny village maybe 6 blocks long, about 4 small hotels and about 10 nice tavernas & bars. Its a secret known to the stylish -- because expensive small yachts in Sailing vessels anchor beyond the pier, and people who look like EuroVIPs saunter ashort. It's in the middle of Fab area to explore -- medieval castles, the famous Vodokillia bay, wild-life refuge, the MAJOR ruin, Nestors Palace. Of an evening drive or taxi to Pylos... stunning & chic square overlooking the water (designed by the French 200 yrs ago) ..

20 miles north of this is a MAJOR super-luxe "resort" for international show-offs. So far, Gialova has escaped this. Go now, while you can. But remember, you are not supposed to tell anyone; promise?
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 07:12 PM

PS: Just went back to look at website... since I was there last 2 years ago, they've put in a lot more tables under the trees, and wooden walkways, plus more sunbrellas ... the room photos look very posh and huge, but I think they may be in the back building. I expect the rates are up as well, but since it's still a family-owned place, I feel confident the ambience is still wonderful. There's an aerial shot that shows very well the location & surroundings.