ID's Traveling to St Thomas

Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ID's Traveling to St Thomas

Hello everyone! So im trying to plan a trip from NYC to St. Thomas with my boyfriend and as many of you know they say its ok to have just your drivers license. I have my drivers license and passport and the possible birth certificate but my boyfriend just has a NYC temp visitor drivers license and his passport from Guatamala.

Will that be ok enough to travel there or is it too risky?
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 06:42 AM

IF he legally entered the US and is still here legally ( I don't know rules for Gutamala citizens entering US) there should be no issue since St. Thomas is part of the US.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 07:17 AM

Just to be on the safe side I would call the airline you are traveling on and ask - I think they will be able to tell you.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 07:29 AM

The NYC license is useless. Requirements for Guatemalans are requirements for Guatemalans and he needs to investigate that. He also needs to be able to return to NYC and therefore must ensure that whatever status he has in the US has appropriate documentation.

And for future reference, he's from GuatEmala, not GuatAmala - this could avoid causing offense if he's sensitive about . . . say, his girlfriend being able to ID where he's from.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 09:22 AM

Good point BigRuss about returning to the US (NYC) with proper identification.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 10:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
"Returning to the US"....from a US Territory? You're the one splittng the hairs, Russ, so have at it.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
What sort of visa does he have? Has he overstayed or otherwise violated its terms? Although St Thomas is part of the U.S. he will go through Immigration before he boards his plane.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 01:52 PM

Stop being a dishonest troll, Dukey. I did not say returning to the US, although you put that phrase in quotes. I said returning to NYC.

There's a difference between travel between a territory and a state and travel between two states...
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 02:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As long as he is legally in the US and his home passport is current, that is valid.
Old Nov 2nd, 2016, 05:11 PM

Not if he doesn't have a valid visa for the US (that is within the 90 day tourist visa - or does he have another form of visa that is valid).

St Thomas is NOT a state of the US.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 03:47 AM
Original Poster

My boyfriend only has work authorization that allows him to remain in the US. He does have his Guatemalan passport. As long as he is working he is allowed to remain in the US, but he doesnt have citizenship or naturalization as they would say. We have gone to Puerto Rico just fine but dont know if these are similar situations.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 05:35 AM

Puerto Rico is different from the Virgin Islands. The Virgin Islands are a US territory, unlike Puerto Rico, which is a US Commonwealth.

Flights to Puerto Rico are strictly domestic (though you still do an agricultural inspection in PR on departure).

In the USVI, you pass through immigration and customs on your return, and you have to demonstrate US citizenship by showing your driver's license AND birth certificate or passport. He will similarly have to demonstrate his legal status in the US (that should be on his visa in his Guatemala passport). That should allow him to travel to the USVI. However, I'm not sure, so you'll definitely want to verify that.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 07:24 AM

" you have to demonstrate US citizenship by showing your driver's license AND birth certificate or passport."

I don't think that is true for US citizens.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...s.-territories

Though it certainly makes sense to bring your passport along anyway due to your traveling companion's status.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 08:57 AM

It's not true that you need a driver's license to prove you are a citizen as it doesn't prove any such thing. It can be used for ID, but if you had a passport anyway, you don't need a driver's license in addition to a passport to prove you are a citizen. I've never once been asked for my driver's license at US airports when I've shown them my passport.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 12:39 PM

You have to show a driver's license and a birth certificate, or you have to show a passport. The driver's license alone is not sufficient. That's the point (and the crucial difference between Puerto Rico and the USVI).
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 01:51 PM

"You have to show a driver's license and a birth certificate, or you have to show a passport."

Not according to U.S. Customs and Border Protection (see link above). There is no requirement for a birth certificate or passport for U.S. citizens traveling between the U.S. and the USVI.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 02:28 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
From the Link:

"However, it is recommended that travelers bring a government issued photo ID and copy of birth certificate."

Plus, the inspectors can give you a hard time. A few years ago my adult son had to surrender his passport to the Peace Corps prior to his assignment. Since we were stuck in the US, we decided to take a trip to St John. My wife and I had our passports, but our son had only his NY Drivers License and Birth Certificate. The inspector took the opportunity to lecture us about never leaving the US without a passport -- say our son really should have had his, etc. Having some experience with petty bureaucrats, we knew enough to politely listen and say "yes sir." Of course, he got in, suffering only that minor annoyance.
Old Nov 3rd, 2016, 04:48 PM

The key is the government issued official picture ID. You said he doesn't have a drivers license. Everyone getting on the plan will have to prove who they are with a passport or driver license and possible birth certificate if they are US citizens.

But you said he doesn't have driver's license so can only show his passport from Guatemala. Does it indicate on the passport that he is in the US legally - with a visa or does he have some other supporting document. Or will it appear that he has overstayed and cause some potential problem.

Have never been in this situation - can only suggest you double check with the department of state since you know the details of his status.
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 08:15 AM

The key is not the government ID. The actual requirement to exit the USVI is that you must prove US citizenship to reenter the US. You can only do that with a passport or a birth certificate+ID. I can think of no other way.

As the USVI Tourism Board itself writes: "If you are a U.S. citizen a passport is not required, but it still serves as the best identification when traveling. Otherwise, you must be prepared to show evidence of citizenship when departing the islands, such as a raised-seal birth certificate and government-issued photo ID."
Old Nov 4th, 2016, 08:47 AM

The USVI Tourism Board's website contradicts the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website which clearly states that U.S. citizens do not need to provide proof of citizenship upon returning to the U.S. from a U.S. territory, only that having such evidence in the form of a passport or birth certificate can "expedite your customs processing".

Here's a quote from the CBP's Q&A:

"Q: Do travelers from U.S. territories need to present a passport to enter the United States?

A: No. These territories are a part of the United States. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the U.S. and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands. If the traveler also visited non-U.S. territories, he/she is required to present a passport.

Although U.S. citizens are not required to present a passport when departing U.S. territories and traveling to the mainland, having evidence of citizenship (e.g., U.S. passport, birth certificate, Trusted Traveler Program card) or lawful permanent residence (e.g., green card) available will help CBP expedite your customs processing."

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/whti-air-faq

I'd trust the info from U.S. Customs and Border Protection over the USVI Tourism Board. And even the USVI Tourism Board's website has a "No Passport Required" logo at the top of it.

As mentioned above, if you have a passport, it's a good idea to take it, but the info posted above about it being required is simply untrue.