Need help! Exploring Lakes District, Northern Patagonia, Tierra del Fuego

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2016, 09:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an upcoming trip to Chile in mid-November. I will be traveling solo. My itinerary so far is shaping to be divided into 3 chunks. I am having trouble picking where to go. Your input will be much appreciated!
I will be flying in to Santiago. How easy is transportation from Santiago to somewhere in the Lakes District? Or from Santiago to Northern Patagonia?

1. Spend the first 5-6 days in the Lakes district. Not sure if I should divide this time between Lakes District and Northern Patagonia. Or if I should skip Lakes District altogether and head to Northern Patagonia instead.

2. 5-6 days on the W Trek

3. And finally 5-6 days in Tierra del Fuego. Not sure if I should split this time between Tiera del Fuego and Easter Islands or do one or the other. How does one get to Tierra del Fuego from Puerto Natales? What are some of the things to see and do in the area?
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 04:50 AM

First things first, You say you are going to Chile but Northern Patagonia is in Argentina and the Lakes District is in Chile. If you are planning on 5-6 days and trying to divide it between the Lakes District and N Patagonia it will be an extremely rushed trip if even possible.

Your next consideration is how are you going to get to TdP? From where to where are you flying? Have you booked accommodations yet?

You can not possibly split 5-6 days between TdF and Easter Island. You will need to choose one or the other. To get to TdF you will need to go by bus because the only flights in are from Argentina cities or Santiago.

We did a three week trip to Southern Patagonia (including the Chilean part) and are returning this Dec for a two week trip to Northern and Southern Argentinean Patagonia. Traveling distances are long and can be complicated but you are being smart by spending 5-6 days in each location. Not too sure about the weather in TdP in mid November, so make sure you are very prepared.

Depending on what your desires to do are you may want to consider flying into Buenos Aires and out of Santiago. If you tell us exactly what you are looking to do or wanting to see, that might help.

Maybe do 5-6 days in Argentinean Patagonia either in the Northern part -Argentinean Lakes district (Bariloche, Villa Angostura, San Martine de los Andes), or Southern Argentinean Patagonia (El Calafate and El Chalten). Then take the bus to Puerto Natales where you can hike the W and then bus on to Punta Arenas where you can fly back to Santiago for Easter Island or continue on to TdF and eventually Ushuaia where you can also fly back to Santiago.

If you have interest you can read either my blog or Fodors trip report (they are one in the same it is just the blog has photos).

Trip Report:
http://www.fodors.com/community/sout...reath-away.cfm

Blog (scroll down for Patagonia):
http://www.travelpod.com/members/odie1

I am happy to help you out. There is not a lot of info or people that have traveled to this region on this site but there are a few of us. I always like to see that the OP actually returns to their initial inquiry and responds before I spend much of my time typing out logistics and itineraries.
Old Sep 28th, 2016, 06:31 AM

There is a ferry from PUNTA aRENAS TO pORVENIR IN tIERRA DEL FUEGO

tO GET TO USHUAIA THEERE MAY ALSO BE AN EXPENSIVE CRUISE EXCURSIION VIA THE BEQAGE CHANNEL.

SORRY ABOUT THE ALL CAPS I NEED A NEW KEYBOARD
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 11:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Odie1!
A little about what I'm looking to do... hiking, relaxing and taking in the views mostly.

Here's what I've come up with so far:

Day 1: Santiago - Pucon (Lakes District) by bus. It's a 9 hour bus ride and might be tiring since I would have landed in Santiago that morning
Day 2 - Day 5: Pucon and day trips around Pucon
Day 5 - Day 8: Huilo Huilo
Day 8 - Day 10: Puerto Varas
Day 10: Puerto Varas-to-Puerto Montt (by bus) and onward to Puerto Natales/Puento Arenas (not sure how)
Day 11 - Day 15: W Trek
Day 16: Puerto Natales to Punta Arenas
Day 17 - Day 20: TdF (not sure to where and how)
Day 21: Fly to Santiago
Day 22: Fly back home

I was planning to stick to the Chilean side for this trip unless Ushuaia is strongly recommended for TdF. Else I was going to leave Argentina for a whole other trip
Old Sep 29th, 2016, 11:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mlgb! And no worries about the ALL CAPS. IT GOT THE MESSAGE ACROSS
What are some of the things to do in and around Pouvenir? And can one explore atleast some of TdF without needing to cross-over to Argentina? Ushuaia looks lovely but I was thinking of leaving the Argentine-side for a whole other trip. Any thoughts?
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 05:36 AM

The only part of Chile we did was Patagonia so I can't comment on the Northern part.

I do not think you can get from Puerto Montt to Puerto Natales except for on the Navimag boat which I believe is three nights. Sky Airlines may fly from Puerto Montt to Punta Arenas but not to Puerto Natales. The bus from Punta Arenas to Puerto Natales is something like 4 hours and then a bus from Puerto Natales to TdP is like another 4 hours (to get to where the W starts). As I said, big distances...

We loved all of our trip there the hike up to the Torres (first leg of the W) was unbelievable), we even liked Punta Arenas. We had a car and drove down to Fort Bulnes which was a beautiful area and out to see the penguins at Otway penguin colony.
Old Sep 30th, 2016, 07:35 AM

There may not be too much to do other than walk around the town and along the bay. If spending the night I"d ask the hotel if there is a way to see the King Penguins.
Old Oct 16th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! The trip planning continues...
Old Nov 9th, 2016, 06:18 AM

In the Lake district will you move by public transport ??
In Puerto varas, it's a possible option for Petrohue and V Perez park, but very difficult to go elsewhere( Alerce andinos park, cabulco trek, cochamo valley,...).
Perhaps you can or find some local guide to trek or take a rental car ??).
If you are not a hiker(and in this region hiking is a great part of discover), plan+++ your public transport to not miss something..
Erik