PETROPAVLOVSK, RUSSIA

Search

PETROPAVLOVSK, RUSSIA

Search this Thread

Old Sep 14th, 2015, 01:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PETROPAVLOVSK, RUSSIA

Has anyone been here? It is on the Kamchatka peninsula and is a scheduled port stop on a 2017 cruise we are taking. I'm just trying to find out more about the place and any options for shore excursions. TIA.
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 02:27 PM

Never been but would like to go there. Where else does this cruise go ? and what line is it ? You should google Kamchatka for more info. Lucky you !!
Old Sep 14th, 2015, 11:25 PM

A friend of mine (with some ancestral connections to the area) was recently booked on a cruise intended to stop at PP.

The stop was cancelled "due to unseasonal ice and Russian administrative formalities." Passengers assumed this was code for the brown envelope not being well enough stuffed, though this might have been just a malicious rumour.

It meant five uninterrupted and featureless days on the North Pacific between Korsakov and the US Aleutians. You have been warned.
Old Sep 15th, 2015, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

"Never been but would like to go there. Where else does this cruise go ? and what line is it ?"

It's the Celebrity Millenium departing Tokyo (Yokohama) on May 7, 2017 and ending in Vancouver, B.C. on May 21st. There are three ports in Japan, one in Kamchatka and then across the Bering Sea to Vancouver.

Old Sep 19th, 2015, 12:48 AM

Hello there!

I am from PP in Kamchatka. Was born and raised there.

I have a friend working in PP port which accepts cruise ships. According to his words 2-3 times a year cruise ships doesn't stop there because of wrong paperwork delivered to them, russian authorities. Their job is very strict and if something is wrong with papers they will not allow to make a stop.

1 day is not enough there. The most beautiful paart of the peninsula is of course nature. You must go far from the city to experience untouched nature and its' beuties.

in the city center 2 hours is enough. You may climb the highest point in the city center and take some pictures from there. I would join any activity offered from the cruise becuase if you be by yourself you may find that you lost your time staying in PP.

I wish you a pleasent trip!
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 04:11 AM

Gosh, I love this forum! Ask and ye shall be answered! What are the odds in the pre-Internet world of ever getting an answer from an actual native of Kamchatka!

Has this cruise line done actual cruises across the Bering Sea in May before?
Old Sep 19th, 2015, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

"1 day is not enough there. The most beautiful paart of the peninsula is of course nature. You must go far from the city to experience untouched nature and its' beuties."

Unfortunately, that's all we have.

Do you have any opinions on this company and this city tour?
http://www.kamchatintour.ru/en/2011-...ghtseeing.html

"Has this cruise line done actual cruises across the Bering Sea in May before?"

That I don't know.
Old Sep 27th, 2015, 10:47 PM

Hello,

I called the company that you mentioned. They operate for a long time. They said that they work with cruise ship passengers and can calculate your city tour if you write them e-mail. I don't know how many in your party so they said it is common they do private tours as sometimes they don't collect enough people for the griup tour.
Old Sep 28th, 2015, 06:10 PM
Original Poster

That is good to hear. Picking a tour company on the internet is difficult.I have exchanged several emails with them already and will probably go with them as the time gets closer.