Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

2-week Peru itinerary - any advice or recommended changes?

Old Aug 4th, 2014, 10:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be leaving for Peru in a week and have built out a rough itinerary. Everything from our arrival into Lima through our hike of Machu Picchu I'm fairly sure of, but everything afterward, I'm planning to figure out as we go, and am open to changing up our itinerary. Does this look like too much for a two-week trip, or would you recommend altering any of it? Thanks so much in advance!

Day 1- Lima (arrive at night)
Day 2- Bus from Lima to Ica (5 hrs) in the early morning (taxi to Huacachina upon arrival). Stay in Huacachina.
Day 3- Bus from Ica to Lima (5 hrs) in afternoon. Arrive Lima in evening.
Day 4- Flight from Lima to Cusco in afternoon.
Day 5- Cusco
Day 6- Cusco
Day 7- Machu Picchu hike
Day 8- Machu Picchu hike + Wayna Picchu hike. Back to Cusco by night.
Day 9- Bus from Cusco - Puno (5-8 hrs). Stay in Puno for night.
Day 10 - Tour of Lake Titicaca. Stay in Puno for the night.
Day 11 - Bus from Puno to Arequipa. Stay in Arequipa for the night.
Day 12- Arequipa or Colca Canyon day tour
Day 13- Bus from Arequipa to Nasca or Ica (not sure, just need to break up bus trip between Arequipa and Lima)
Day 15- Bus from Nasca/Ica to Lima
Day 16- Flight back home in morning
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 12:07 AM

I would probably get the overnight bus from Arequipa to Lima which would allow an extra day In Arequipa.
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

@crellston: Is there a lot to see and do in Arequipa? I know Colca Canyon may not be feasible since we have limited time there, but if we were to stay in the city of Arequipa, is there enough to occupy our time for two days, it sounds like?
Old Aug 5th, 2014, 10:36 AM

I would say yes. We spent a couple of weeks there. It is a really beautiful city, one of my favourite places in South America. I guess it depends on your interests, but there is some stunning architecture. The Monasteria de Santa Catalina is almost a city within a city and is definitely worth a visit. The. Catedral is also pretty spectacular as is the Plaza de Armas. Lots of great restaurants some more info @
http://www.fodors.com/world/south-am...caca/arequipa/

There seems to be a fiesta there every other day some photos of just one on our last visit

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blo...1365/tpod.html
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 08:31 AM

Have you looked at going directly from Puno to Chivay (Colca)? It's kind of a waste of time to go to Arequipa and back when on a short itinerary. Beside the "one day" tours from AQP leave at something like 3-4 am.

The 4-M Express bus leaves at 6:15am from Puno, then the next day at 1 Pm Chivay to Arequipa.

Day 11 Puno to Chivay, half day Colca Canyon (if you stay in Yanque you can hike down to the colcas on the river, and then up to Uyu Uyu and back.)

Day 12 Tour to the Condors in the morning, then bus 1pm to Arequipa. Night Arequipa

Day 13 Day in Arequipa, Cruz del Sur night bus to Nazca Ica, Paracas, or Lima. Decide based on what you'd like to do the following morning.

Day 14, Sightsee am, bus to Lima PM.

You might look at Paracas, if the 7:30 pm Cruz del Sur bus from Arequipa is on time, you will arrive in time for the morning tour to the Ballestas.
Old Aug 6th, 2014, 08:34 AM

ellsteh, if possible I would recommend booking in advance, this is a very busy time in Peru and you have a tight schedule.
Old Aug 22nd, 2014, 06:03 AM

I think you're short-changing Lima, and I also would opt for Arequipa rather than Colca.

Lima has quite a few interesting things to see and some of the best food on the planet. The colonial area around Plaza de Armas is quite interesting. There are three great archaeological museums to get some exposure of all the cultures of pre-conquest Peru. It's worth at least one full day, IMO.

FWIW, I was very disappointed with Huacachina and would spend my time in Lima, Paracas, or Nazca instead and certainly would not return to Ica on the same trip

Concur with stopping at Paracas or, if not, Nazca.