Hungary - Budapest Eger Szentendre photo gallery and tourist attractions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to share with the community information and my experience of my trip to Hungary ( from 31 January to 3 February 2014 )

I visited: Budapest - Eger - Szentendre

To see my photo gallery click on the link below

http://www.flickr.com/photos/marcodi...7640591297783/

Budapest is a beautiful capital with many interesting places to visit; I had to choose what to see because I had little time available ( too much time spent visiting the other 2 cities ) I visited some of the attractions that interest me postponing to the next trip the other that I couldn't visit. I loved visiting the Parliament internally, the Dohány Street Synagogue and Fisherman's Bastion.

Szentendre is a pretty little town on the Danube famous for ceramics for its numerous art galleries and the many museums. Located about 20 km from the capital can be reached by suburban railway HÉV number 5 in 40 minutes from the station Batthyány Tér of Budapest.

Eger is a small and pleasant town famous for its wines and wineries in the area called the Valley of the Beautiful Woman ( Szépasszonyvölgy ) for the castle that dominates the city and to the typical alleys of old town. Located about 140 km from Budapest can be reached by coach from the bus station Autóbuszállomás Budapest Stadionok in about 2 hours or by train from the railway station Keleti Pályaudvar in about 1 hour and 50 minutes.

Below a list of tourist attractions of 3 citys that may be useful to plan better a trip ( names between parentheses are in the local language )

> Budapest what to visit :
---------------------------------
- Parliament ( Orszaghaz ) guided tour inside
- Hill of Buda also includes:
. Fisherman's Bastion ( Halaszbastya )
. Matthias Church ( Mátyás-Templom )
. Castle or former Royal Palace ( Budavári Palota )
. National Gallery ( Nemzeti Galéria )
. Palace Sandor
. Palace Várszínház
. National Library Széchényi ( Országos Széchényi Könyvtár )
. Church of St. Mary Magdalene ( Mária Magdolna-templom )
. Historical Museum of Budapest ( Budapesti Történeti Múzeum )
. Spy Museum
- Hill of Gellert Hegy also includes:
. Liberation Monument or Statue of Liberty ( Szabadság-Szobor )
. Fortress of the Citadel
. Church of the Cave or in the Rock
. Thermal Baths
. Museum Semmelweis of Medical History ( Orvostörténeti )
- St. Stephen's Basilica ( Szent Istvan Bazilika )
- Memento Park ( Open-air museum with statues of the communist era )
- Heroes' Square ( Hosök Tere ) with the Art Gallery Mucsarnok and the Monument of the Millenary
- Square Vorosmarty ( Vörösmarty Tér ) - Square Liszt Ferenc Tér - Freedom Square ( Szabadság Tér ) - Square Roosevelt Tér - Square 15 March ( Marcius 15 Tér ) - Square Clark Adam Tér - Square Vigado ( Vigadó Tér )
- Andrassy Avenue and Váci Utca are 2 main streets of the city
- Dohány Street Synagogue ( Dohány utcai Zsinagóga or Nagy Zsinagóga ) and Hebrew National Museum ( Nemzeti Zsidó )
- Orthodox Synagogue Kazinczy street - Synagogue of Frankel Leó utca - Synagogue Óbuda ( Óbudai Zsinagóga )
- Holocaust Memorial Museum and Synagogue
- Mausoleum of Gul Baba ( Gül Baba Türbéje )
- Park Városliget and Castle of Vajdahunyad ( Vajdahunyad Vára )
- Nineteenth-century covered passage Parisi Udvar
- Palace of Arts ( Muveszetek Palotaja ) - Palace Gresham - Academy of Sciences - Academy Franz Liszt - Twin buildings Klotild
- Metropolitan Library Ervin Szabó
- Western and Eastern Railway Stations
- Opera ( Magyar Allami Operahaz ) - Theater Erkel - Theater Madach - National Dance Theatre
- Chain Bridge ( Széchenyi Lánchíd ) - Liberty Bridge ( Szabadság Híd ) - Elizabeth Bridge ( Erzsébet Híd ) - Margit Híd Bridge
- Church of St. Michael ( Szent Mihály-Templom ) - Church of St. Anne ( Felsovízivárosi Szent Anna-Plébánia ) - Church of St. Francis - Parish Church of Central City ( Belvarosi Plebania Templom ) - Church of St. Joseph
- Aquarius Tropicarium and Oceanarium
- House Memorial Bela Bartok
- Botanical Garden - Park Orczy-kert - Park Nepliget
- Caving trip in the tunnels under the city of Budapest
- Zwack Unicum Heritage Visitor Center
- Cemetery Kerepesi
- Margaret Island and the Danube ( Margitsziget )
- National Museum ( Nemzeti ) - Ethnographic Museum ( Neprajzi ) - Hospital in the Rock Museum - Museum of South-East Asia Zelnik Istvan - Museum of Applied Arts ( Iparmuvészeti ) - Museum Szepmuveszeti - Railway Museum ( Vasúttörténeti ) - Museum Kozepkori Zsido Imahaz - Museum Victor Vasarely - Agricultural Museum ( Mezogazdasági ) - Museum of Trade and Tourism - Metro Museum - Museum of Transportation - Memorial Museum Liszt Ferenc ( Emlékmúzeum ) - Postal Stamp Museum ( Bélyegmúzeum ) - Post Office Museum ( Postamuzeum ) - Museum of Natural History ( Természettudományi ) - Museum Kassák - Museum Ludwig of Contemporary Art - Museo Kiscelli - Museum Ernst - Art Nouveau House Museum ( Magyar Szecesszió Háza ) - Telephone Museum - Museum of Music History ( Zenetörténeti ) - Museum of Arts of the Far East Ferenc Hopp - Literary Museum ( Petofi Irodalmi ) - Museum of Military History ( Hadtörténeti Intézet és )

> Szentendre what to visit :
------------------------------------
- Square Fo Tér is the center of the city and the Pinacotheca
- Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of Saborna - Serbian Orthodox Church ( Pozsarevascka Templom ) - Church of St. John the Baptist - Church Blagovestenska
- Roman Lapidary
- House of Folk Arts
- Szanto Memorial House
- Ethnographic Open Air Museum ( Szabadteri Neprajzi ) - Museum Szabo Marzipan - Museum Kmetty and Collection Kerényi - Museum of the Serbian Orthodox Diocese - Museum of Ceramics Margit Kovacs - Memorial Museum Vajda Lajos - Museum of Transportation - Museum Barcsay - Museum Amos and Anna - Museum Czóbel - Museum of Hungarian Jewelry - Museum Aquincum ( Aquincumi ) - Museum Mikró Csodák - Museum Károly Ferenczy
- Danube Bend nearby

> Eger what to visit :
---------------------------
- Castle of Eger ( Egri vár ) inside:
. Ruins of the Romanesque Basilica
. Castle Museum István Dobó
. Gallery and painting exhibition ( Egri Képtár )
. Museum Matyó
. Kazamaták is a system of cellars under the Castle
. Gothic Palace of Bishop of the Castle
. Wax Museum Panoptikum
. Exhibition of antique vases
. Hippolyt Gate is an access door of the Castle
- Minaret Torok Kori of 17th Century is the northernmost Turkish minaret in Europe is 40 meters high
- "city beneath the city" ( Város a város alatt ) is a system of cellars near the Cathedral
- Basilica ( Egri Foszékesegyház ) - Minorite Church - Serbian Orthodox Church - Church Cistercians - Church St. Bernát - Church Rác Templom
- House Birthplace of Sándor Bródy - Provost Minor's Palace
- Square Dobó ( Dobó Tér )
- Archbishop's Palace ( Érseki palotaegyüttes )
- College Eszterhazy Karoly
- Archbishop's Park ( Érsekkert )
- Fazola Gates are 2 ornamental doors wrought iron also called Grape Gate and Coat of Arms Gate
- Theater Géza Gárdonyi
- Turkish Bath
- Museum of Pharmacy Telekessy - Museum Történeti Tárház - Museum of Fire Fighting Egri Tuzoltó - Sports Museum of Eger and the Palace of the County Jail - National Museum of Wine
Old Feb 17th, 2014, 03:48 PM

Your pictures are amazing!!!
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 01:38 PM

Thank you for sharing your wonderful pictures and information. I'm heading to Hungary next month. How many hours would you say are needed in Eger if one is doing just a day trip? Based on train schedules, it looks like I need to decide between 4 hours and 6 hours.
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks. If you have time I think 6 hours is better, but 4 hours may be sufficient for visiting quickly Eger without museums. Have a nice trip !
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 05:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It took me back
Old Feb 20th, 2014, 05:59 AM
cd

What great information! We hope to do this this year, Thank you, we will print your info and take with!
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 02:37 AM

Wow. Thanks so much for this post. We love Budapest but now I want to see even more of it and other sights in Hungary. This is wonderful.
Old Mar 8th, 2014, 03:18 AM

Wonderful pics - I have long wanted to visit Budapest as it has the winning combination of architecture, cakes, cold war art and lazing about in spas. If you have any foodie photos I would love to see those too.
Old Nov 12th, 2019, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you very much everyone ! I have completely updated the photogallery with photos of my new journey