Relocation Discussion

Old Dec 30th, 2013, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relocation Discussion

My wife and I have lived in Maryland for our entire lives and are thinking of moving in 5-6 years. We live right outside Washington, DC in a not so great County (Prince George's). We have visited all but four states, so we have seen a good bit of the country. Since we have never moved before or lived in another state, thought I'd see what other Fodorite's have to say about where they live.

We are currently pregnant with our first and we are both in our late 30's. The schools around us are horrible and we do not want to pay for private school. We want something opposite of what the D.C. area is all about. Our area is overpopulated, traffic is ridiculous, people are rude, high crime, people care more about status, shopping and movies are considered weekend activities, high cost of living, people do nothing but complain, and no sense of community. I'd never recommend anyone move to this area. Quality of life is the pits.

We thought about checking out Charlotte, NC but the more I read in forums, the more it sounded like a smaller (but growing) version of the Washington, DC area.

We both love the Southwest.

We'd prefer warmer weather.

Just a discussion, give me your thoughts.....thanks.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 06:01 AM

Charleston, SC. My SD and her husband and toddler just moved there from RVA and it's is fabulous.

I am also partial to my hometown of Richmond, VA.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 06:25 AM

You might want to see one of the editions of a magazine's "best places to live". I think Money does one. Even if you don't choose one of those exact places the criteria to consider are nicely explained for all.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

JanetKMR,

What is SD and RVA?

I have seen some of those "best places" articles and many times, they always seem sort of incomplete too me with regards to full detail.

We did visit Charleston, SC about a year ago and it seemed nice. So did some of the outer areas. Richmond is changing and is up and coming, but not sure it is a place for us.

In our area, unless you live in a lower income or high crime area, housing is $300,000+. Most new housing in better areas and some not all that great areas are starting at $500,000 and even $800,000. My wife and I prefer to not sink our entire income into a mortgage so that we can enjoy life. We have plenty of friends up here that do nothing but work and pay a mortgage.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 07:38 AM

Do you have skills that you can take anywhere? I would check out employment options, then look for places that have the kind of community you want. Do you have family who want to be a part of your little one's life?

People you meet often reflect what you put at them, so keep a smile on your face and be polite.

There are good schools in many places. We live in a rural area of CT, that has wonderful public schools. People are friendly, but do not intrude on their neighbors uninvited. Traffic away from the cities and coast is fine. The cost of living here is high. Health care is good.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

We both have Federal jobs, so that is a must for at least my wife (she has much more time in service and is at a higher level).

When you smile at most people around our area or wave to them, you get looked at like a weirdo. Not many thank yous, your welcome, holding of doors, etc.

Since we have never moved beofre, it is just something really scary to think of regarding all the change. Once we get out of here, we do not intend on bouncing around.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 09:20 AM

With all due respect, your list of things you dislike about where you live is long and detailed, but you failed to say much about what you LIKE besides warmer weather. Sure, no one likes high crime, bad schools and rude people, but even once you factor those out and throw in warm weather, there are many, many places to choose from.

Do you have family or friends you'd like stay near? The Federal job thing is a big deal; have you looked into where your wife could transfer? Because I would think that list would be very short unless she is in some sort of law enforcement position.

Also, great public schools and low housing costs tend not to go together...

So, to be constructive, I'll say that we love the Southwest, too and have seriously considered living in Tucson. I don't think public schools are all that great there, but it's uncrowded and housing is much less pricy than in the DC area.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 09:23 AM

Another thought: why not move to another part of the DC area? Public schools in Northern Virginia are very good. It will still be densely populated, but if you get a bit more of what you want without the risk of moving a great distance, you might be happier.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 10:06 AM

At 30, career and jobs should probably decisions as to where to move. What are you options with current employment situation? Where are there government facilities that you can transfer to? Make a list of where transfers might be available and decide between those cities at the moment. Denver comes to mind with a major facility on the west side. And Denver could meet a lot of your earlier concerns.

And there are places where you can find great schools and moderate housing prices.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 10:27 AM

"What is SD and RVA?"

Most likely stepdaughter and Richmond, VA.

Under what circumstances do you wave at people?
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 10:32 AM

I would never equate Charlotte with DC--I have lived here for 50 years now and have seen the growth which is great, of course. But one thing has remained the same--the neighborhoods in Charlotte are quite amazing to me and remain so. Whether in more modest parts of town or higher end, they are beautiful and show great pride. The corporate structure in charlotte supports its arts and its charities to an incredible extent. I have long said, and still do--Charlotte is a largish city that feels small and accessible.
Our DD has just moved back to Charlotte, and the housing market is on fire--in all ranges and with all levels available. Your "level" of $300,000 is quite available in lovely parts of town--and even less.
I have no idea what the Federal job market looks like outside of DC!!
And I'd be glad to wave "hi" to you.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 11:14 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Move to southern California.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 11:15 AM

<Not many thank yous, your welcome, holding of doors, etc.>

I would never try to relocate based on that criteria. Good luck finding someplace where people will hold the door for you!
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 11:42 AM

Have you tried www.findyourspot.com? It might be helpful.

Lee Ann
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 11:48 AM

Well, I wouldn't necessarily have it as a criterion, but it happens in Charlotte several times a week to me.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

Since I have never lived anhywhere else, it is hard to figure out where to start. We want totally out of the D.C. area, so no Northern Virginia.

I know not everyone is going to hold the door and say thank you but I'd like to get it more often than our area where my wife has been laughed at for falling down steps at the Metro Station and people have a total disregard for others.

I started this forum just to get an idea of different places and waht people think of them.

No, no family will be near us if we move. All family is in the D.C. area except sister is in Oregon (no interest in that). Although, the Goonie house was on the market when she first moved out there, should have bought it and turned it into a bed and breakfast (missed on that one). And a sister-in-law in North Carolina.

I've thought about: Tampa area, Pensacola area, Jacksonville area, Albuquerque area, Colorado, Utah, Las Vegas area, and Charlotte area, Las Cruces, El Paso, and Austin.

New England states are nice, but really cold.

We've liked some other cities and states during our visits, but not sure we'd want to live there for various reasons. Oklahoma City was really nice (tornados), Green Bay was fun and small town (COLD!!).

Had a trip to Charlotte planned to check it out, but had to cancel because my wife got sick.

It is just a big step we would take and nothing either of us is familiar with.

What do you think, like, hate about where you live?
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

I know I am all over the place with some of this. I just want to hear from others about there city/state. I know I cannot have the perfect location.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 01:04 PM

I love virtually everything about Richmond. I am biased, but there is nowhere else I'd rather be.
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 01:11 PM

I absolutely adore Seattle. I moved here 20+ years ago to "try it out for a year" and never looked/went back. But it doesn't fit hardly any of your listed criteria.

For reference, I have lived in California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Vermont, and now Washington state, and plan/hope to retire in Hawaii. I've loved every one of them (except CT).
Old Dec 30th, 2013, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Have you always been in Richmond? We have stopped there a few times on the way to NC and spent the day/night. It seems like a decent area that is starting to make a turnaround. We enjoy breweries and I know there are many popping up around the area.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -