Rancho Naturalista and Savegre and 8 day help

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2022, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are bird photographers and have 6 nights to spend at Rancho Naturalista and Savegre. I want to see the quetzals and other birds from the San Gerardo de Dota region but maybe I should just take the tour there offered by Rancho Naturalista? Or I could spend 3 nights in each or 4 in Rancho Naturalista and 2 in Savegre.
I just wonder if 2 nights is enough in Savegre and if driving to both is too much in such a short time. Any advice on how to split the itinerary and best diversity of birding would be highly appreciated. We are leaving 12 February
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 10:48 AM

I probably would split the time and perhaps take a tour offered by Savegre. With two nights there you increase your odds of better sightings. Also you can walk along the road to Savegre and possibly see some quetzales on you own. Their location is dependent on where their favorite avocados might be fruiting, or setting up nesting territories. I saw two males squabbling along that road, but the time of year was November-December. They also had a plum orchard with some great looks at the Chlorophonia, lots of feeders and different hummingbirds there than Naturalista.
Old Jan 10th, 2022, 05:29 PM

We really enjoyed Savegre. Marino Chacon is an excellent birding guide there. His family helped found the area, and he contributed to the Birds of Costa Rica book. He found about ten quetzals for us down by the road. Also saw an emerald toucanet and tons of hummingbirds. We also went hiking with him, did a night tour with him, and then another birding tour. Gets very chilly at night so be sure to take something warm to wear. I think we stayed three nights when we went.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 01:42 PM

There is a special bird photography set up now, called Batsu which is apparently associated with Marino. There are some reviews on Tripadvisor.

I visited before it was created. However I do not think it is the place for Quetzal photography but might be a nice addition for serious bird photographers.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 11:48 PM

We went to it right as they were building it. It was wonderful. Thanks for the name - it wasn't named yet when we went. I'd highly recommend it. Beautiful views and loads of birds.