Mexico Safe for solo Female ?

Old May 25th, 2022, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mexico Safe for solo Female ?

I want to travel to Mexico s a solo female . I will be staying in Mex City how safe is it for solo female travellers ?
Old May 25th, 2022, 12:13 PM

I didn't have any problems at all. Use common sense, Uber instead of taxis. Have a cellphone that works overseas, Google Maps as needed to not get lost or summon an Uber.

If you click my user name there is a brief trip report.
Old May 26th, 2022, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you
Old May 26th, 2022, 03:02 PM

Much safer than many USA big cities.....
Old May 27th, 2022, 07:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Wiife and i have plenty of single women friends that travel the country even more than we do.
Old Jun 3rd, 2022, 09:03 AM

Just know that there are a number of locations in the country with no Uber so local taxis, feet and public transportation are the only options.

But in Mexico City, use Uber instead of taxis.

If you have traveled alone in other big cities, Mexico City is not much different as far as precautions when getting around.

If you are looking for a safe hotel, well located, I liked the Stanza in Roma Norte, which several other Fodorites have used and recommended.

Last edited by mlgb; Jun 3rd, 2022 at 09:06 AM.
Old Jun 4th, 2022, 11:27 AM

I am not female and don’t travel alone, but found Mexico to be safe. During our 2-3 months there we encountered no problems despite the countless warnings we saw online about cartel related violence etc. before departing. In Mexico City we used Ubers mostly but also the subway and walked wherever we could.

Contrast that with our time in Los Angeles earlier this year. Loved our time there but when we were out and about in downtown with mlgb, walking back to the rail station when I was accosted by a Viking helmeted, juggling cyclist who screamed abuse at me, convinced I was LAPD! Mlgb soon sent him on his way but it was touch and go Also had a few problems in San Francisco- maybe I just attract these people?

Old Jun 4th, 2022, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by crellston
I am not female and don’t travel alone, but found Mexico to be safe. During our 2-3 months there we encountered no problems despite the countless warnings we saw online about cartel related violence etc. before departing. In Mexico City we used Ubers mostly but also the subway and walked wherever we could.

Contrast that with our time in Los Angeles earlier this year. Loved our time there but when we were out and about in downtown with mlgb, walking back to the rail station when I was accosted by a Viking helmeted, juggling cyclist who screamed abuse at me, convinced I was LAPD! Mlgb soon sent him on his way but it was touch and go Also had a few problems in San Francisco- maybe I just attract these people?
) He is apparently quite famous crellston.
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 12:47 PM

It is fine...I take UBER and also regular taxis.....after about 50 visits, never had one problem as a solo female, in any part of Mexico and I have been to most regions....ha ha, only bad thing was meeting my ex in Zihuatenejo!! But I do not go to nightclubs or ramble around late at night but even going to Garibaldi in DF brought no problems..I do speak Spanish well so maybe that makes a difference but I am not sure about that..biggest issues might be ickpockets, like any other city from Lagos to Los Angeles..jusgt take care but that is not unique to Mexico......if I were younger I might even move there.. (not to DF but somewhere else in Mexico). I think the crime situation for tourists, considering the size and breath of this fabuloos country, are way overrated.....people tend to be so kind and helpful, far more that I have found in the US.