Cozumel Covid concerns when returning to USA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2022, 04:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan to vacation in Cozumel within a month. We are vaccinated and boosted, but know catching a variant is possible. If we test positive within the 24hour test needed to return to USA what is quarantine time to remain in Mexico? We must leave condo on specific date, so worry about where we will be able to stay. Should we purchase travelers insurance? We have traveled in USA recently, but the return home was not a concern. Very hesitant…. Thanks
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 08:35 AM

Check local government travel sites in Mexico for quarantine rules or US travel guidelines for helpful links. I know someone who recently was put into isolation in a hotel room for 10 days in Costa Rica, but it certainly varies place to place.
Travel insurance is a good idea, I use World Nomads. Good luck and stay safe!
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 02:47 PM

Here's a link to official information: https://mx.usembassy.gov/covid-19-in...ens-in-mexico/

I think that anybody who travels right now should be prepared for the possibility of having to extend the trip if you test positive for COVID - just a fact of life right now. I would definitely purchase travel insurance that includes coverage to extend the trip due to COVID - otherwise you'll need to be prepared to pay out of pocket for any additional costs for staying longer. I think the isolation period is 10 or 14 days. The costs of a 2 week stay can really add up.

As for where you would stay if you test positive - you'll have to find a hotel, airbnb, condo, etc. You can stay anywhere that you can find, but it is the responsibility of the traveler to make their own arrangements. There aren't any COVID quarantine hotels or anything. And it is my understanding that you must let the hotel/landlord/owner of the property know that you are COVID positive and isolating. I would make a list of potential places to stay if you do test positive so that you have an idea of where you might go ahead of time.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by november_moon
Here's a link to official information: https://mx.usembassy.gov/covid-19-in...ens-in-mexico/

I think that anybody who travels right now should be prepared for the possibility of having to extend the trip if you test positive for COVID - just a fact of life right now. I would definitely purchase travel insurance that includes coverage to extend the trip due to COVID -t otherwise you'll need to be prepared to pay out of pocket for any additional costs for staying longer. I think the isolation period is 10 or 14 days. The costs of a 2 week stay can really add up.

As for where you would stay if you test positive - you'll have to find a hotel, airbnb, condo, etc. You can stay anywhere that you can find, but it is the responsibility of the traveler to make their own arrangements. There aren't any COVID quarantine hotels or anything. And it is my understanding that you must let the hotel/landlord/owner of the property know that you are COVID positive and isolating. I would make a list of potential places to stay if you do test positive so that you have an idea of where you might go ahead of time.

Thank you! We already decided to not risk having Covid possibly ruin our return back to USA. Just to much effort, time and wasted money if we would have to quarantine. We will go to Cozumel as soon as the USA eliminates return testing…. Whenever that might happen.