Zurich in December

Search

Zurich in December

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13th, 2022, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zurich in December

Hello, Curious to know if anyone has traveled to Zurich and beyond in Switzerland in early December and what it is like? Would you recommend it and where would you recommend outside of Zurich? This would be a non-skiing trip. Always wanted to visit Switzerland and travel plans are allowing a layover for a few days there right at the beginning of December.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 09:45 AM

Zurich is amazing in December! The main train station, which is a beautiful stone and glass building is transformed into a Christmas market. The year I was there Swarovski decorated the 50+ foot Christmas tree spectacularly with hundreds of crystal ornaments. Awe inspiring! Throughout the old section of town are vendor stalls with arts and crafts and delicious food and the Bahnhofstrasse is lit with thousands of lights.

We stayed the Hotel Adler which is a lovely hotel in the old section of town with a fantastic European breakfast and in the evening is a fondue and raclette restaurant.

If you want a truly unique experience, there is a restaurant called The Blind Cow. Located in an old church and staffed by sight impaired servers and chefs! You dine completely in the dark and there is no menu, just an amazing 3 course dinner that your blind server expertly leads you through. Your senses of touch and taste are heightened and it truly was one of my most favorite dining experiences of my life.

Walking around the lake dotted with beautiful parks and ducking into a small cafe for an espresso kept us warm. I love how the Europeans utilize every season to be outside with nature.

Luceren, majestically framed by beautiful mountains is a quick train ride or drive and is dressed up with Christmas decorations. The pedestrian bridge across the lake has wonderful photo opportunities and we found a shop with authentic Steinbach Nut crackers that made for fabulous Christmas gifts.

Zurich is a beautiful city and I am sure whatever time you spend there will be memorable.

Have fun!
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 10:24 AM

We always enjoy our trips to Zurich, whether day trips from Basel or overnights. We plan to spend a night there in December to just take in the sights, do a bit of shopping. Of the Advent festivities, we particularly like the singing Christmas tree. https://www.singingchristmastree.ch/ We don't spend much time at the actual Christmas market as we think the one here in Basel is better (plus we have December overnight trips planned to Baden-Baden and Freiburg im Breisgau in Germany), but to each his own. While you are in Zurich you could easily fit in a day trip to Rapperswil, roughly 40 minutes away and with very frequent mass transit connections.https://www.rapperswil-zuerichsee.ch...istkindlimaert

When we overnight in Zurich during the colder months, we tend to stay at the Motel One, a short walk from a tram stop and in a nice area.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can always take a day trip to a mountain if the weather tempts you. Go to Arth/Goldau - Rigi mountain for easiest accessibility to a mountain peak but Pilatus isn't too complicated either.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 11:14 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Hello, Curious to know if anyone has traveled to Zurich and beyond in Switzerland in early December and what it is like?

Yes, more times than I can count, but more of the 'and beyond' than Zurich, which we usually just fly into and out of.

In my experience, Zurich (and other lake areas) can be dreary in the winter due to the low fog hanging over the lakes.

Whereas if you head UP into the mountains, you'll often find vibrant blue skies.

Keep in mind that winter days are very short, and the sun disappears behind mountains and city buildings by about 3 pm, plunging the valleys into gloom and cold.

I have about a dozen reports posted here for winter trips to Switzerland. If interested, just click on my name and scroll through my trip reports. And FWIW - I'm in Switzerland now - we've been here for four weeks. As much as we enjoy Switzerland in December, we like Sept/October even more.
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 11:27 AM

I have to respectfully disagree with Melnq8. We have enjoyed our many trips to Zurich no matter what the weather. That includes December. (fwiw, the weather is not always perfectly clear in the mountains.). And I can say that we too have spent a great deal of time here in Switzerland -- 14 straight years and counting
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zürich has certainly changed for the better in the last twenty years. There are many things to see and do. I would heartily recommend joining a walking tour of the city or getting a map with directions that show some of the best areas to see. Since my hairdresser has moved to Wiedikon, I now take the train to the Hauptbahnhof, get on my (manual) scooter and push my way through the alleys and areas of Wiedikon, which has become quite trendy. But there are so many other areas to explore as well such as Zürich West, Lindenhof, along the banks of the Limmat river and Niederdorf.

Here's a link to a self-guided tour that explains some of the highlights of the city. Have fun!

Zurich Self-Guided Walking Tour - Jetsetting Fools

And here's Zürich's website for things to do and see: The Event Highlights in Zurich | zuerich.com
Old Oct 13th, 2022, 09:21 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WeisserTee
I have to respectfully disagree with Melnq8. We have enjoyed our many trips to Zurich no matter what the weather. That includes December. (fwiw, the weather is not always perfectly clear in the mountains.). And I can say that we too have spent a great deal of time here in Switzerland -- 14 straight years and counting
Disagree away. We all have different experiences.