Search

Where to go between Paris and Barcelona

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where to go between Paris and Barcelona

Hi
I’m traveling for my honeymoon on mid August. I’m planning to go to Paris and take the train from Paris to Barcelona and then fly back home.

I need a third destination between the two cities. My total vacation is about 16 days. We plan to spend it like this:

5/6 days in Paris
5/6 days in Barcelona

Can you recommend me where to spend the other 4/5 days in between? Should I go to southern France or somewhere in Spain.

This is my second trip to Europe so I’m no expert. I would appreciate it much if you can give me suggestions with details such as taking a train vs renting a car, which cities are best, and where to stay.

Thanks a lot.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 08:14 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Collioure! North of Barcelona, across the border into France. It is a beautiful seaside town with charm, art history, a castle and good hotels and restaurants. A gem.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 08:41 AM

France is the big gap in my Mediterranean travel experience, but I love honeymoon questions (congrats!). This is how I would approach it:
1) Consider if you want another city or a village or seaside, etc.
2) Look at the train maps to see the options that would maximize your time. You don't want to plan a big drive, because picking up in one country and dropping in another incurs a big fee. You can get around this by dropping the car somewhere in France and then continuing to Barcelona by train or bus.
3) Just to throw out some ideas for you to investigate--and because the sea always scream romance to me--you could go to Marseille and explore a bit of the riviera before heading to Barcelona. Or, head to Bordeaux and explore a bit of Basque country before heading to Barcelona.

Old Jul 15th, 2021, 09:09 AM

I would definitely go to Toulouse and Clermont Ferrand if i were you, OR i would go a bit off way to see the Alps (Annecy). Yeah, that's off the route but I would definitely try it
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 09:19 AM

While you are considering Collioure, also check out Monpellier. I think you can take a fast train from Paris to there. It is a nice college town. We actually trained from Barcelona to Montpellier so you could do that in reverse. Enjoy!
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 10:24 AM

Don't miss Gerona!

A short train ride (60-90 minutes?) north of Barcelona is the small, medieval town of Gerona. We loved it. There's so much to see, and I've read more recently about all the good restaurants and cafes. It was the highlight of our trip. And, an even shorter train ride north of there (30 minutes) is the Dali Museum in Figueres. Definitely worth a visit.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 11:47 AM

Hi Ali!

Congrats on your nuptials! You will have a fabulous time on your first visit to Europe. Thanks for giving us some parameters to help lead you in the right direction!

I have been to Paris and Barcelona numerous times and love them equally. Right now I am planning a trip from Paris to Lyon to Barcelona and then to the south of Spain so I would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. Depending on your interests I think Lyon may be a great place for you to make a stop.

The first thing I do when planning is to figure modes of transportation. Attached below is the high speed train map.

Factor in the day that you are traveling from place to place is really a lost day of vacation. By the time you get to the station, ride the train, get to your hotel/apt at your stop, rest and clean up a bit, walk around to get your bearings it is probably time for dinner. We try on shorter trips with multiple stops to be as direct as possible with our transportation. Changing trains numerous times with baggage isn't as fun or time conscience as one may think.

So the second thing I do after picking which way I want to travel (you via train) is to look at the map for direct routes. I usually pull up Google maps just to see the topography of the area I have yet to visit. We usually drive so this isn't as important for you with the train.

Once I find a route I may like I then use the Fodor's Destinations pages to get an idea of the things to do in the area. I may get a tongue lashing but I also go on to Tripadvisor (GASP! Yes, I don't like to admit it! lol) and I look at their top 10 attractions list for the area. TA does give you direct website links, reviews and visitors personal pictures which is helpful while planning.

While considering your destination ask yourself "What is a perfect day for me?"

Do you like to walk around and like to see the unique architecture?
Are you a Foodie that wants to experience the cuisine of the area?
Do you want to shop for gifts for yourself or family?
Do you want to visit museums and art?
I always go to the local market (Barcelona is amazing for that!) and I always go to the public park with a picnic from the market to people watch and be part of the local scene, not everyone's cup of tea but one of my favorite things to do.

I also use Google maps to make sure my hotel or apartment is near the Metro. A very great way to get around town, inexpensive and safe. Always be aware and carry a purse with a zippered top, hung sideways across your chest (others on this site have great suggestions regarding that topic. In my 16 years of European travels I have never had a problem.) I plan my day routes around walking to the destinations and using the Metro.

Side note; If you like handmade leather purses (my weakness) you must visit Calpa in Barcelona. The owner is a doll and after all the years buying myself and my family leather goods she actually recognizes me which is a huge honor being in a tourist location. Her craftsman ship is excellent and they are my go to purses while traveling. I probably have a dozen from over the years.

Here are a few bad photos of the Barcelona Market prior to Covid. A must do when there. It is off the Ramblas a place you should visit anyway.

Barcelona market

The market

The market has a section of hot food stalls (little restaurants) to have a meal. This is our favorite, Clemen's and that is the precious owner that took over for his father and now he and his adult children run the place. Awesome!

My father slurping a fresh oyster!

Saturdays and Sunday mornings when you walk the Ramblas, at the bottom of the street before the Columbus Statue there is a craftsman market with jewelry and such. (Plaza Reail off the Ramblas has a craftsman's market too) I always find a beautiful piece or two of jewlery there. Sundays are the Catalans day of family so you will find many people walking the marina area and beach promenade, frolickingly in the waves and hitting up one of the cool beachside restaurants. We always have Sunday lunch around 2 or 3pm at Agua. Reviews say it's touristy but the view is awesome and we are like family there now so I don't notice the slower service and we love to take our time, dine and drink copious amounts of wine. I still dream of their mussels. Oh still my beating heart!! How I miss traveling during these crazy covid times.

The other thing we always do in Barcelona is I believe on Friday night called the "magic fountain" in Plaza Espana. We get a takeaway snack and wine, head down right before dark and find a place to watch the free show.

Thousands of people come and gather at the base of the fountain to listen and watch the choreographed lights, water and music. They always start the show off with the song Barcelona by Freddie Mercury and operatic soprano Montserrat Caballé. It is so wonderful to sit in the warm evening air, watching the local kids play while enjoying the free show. Afterwards we head across the street to the old Bull Arena that has been converted to a shopping center and take the elevator to the top observatory deck for a view of the city. There are 6 or so restaurants on the observatory deck that are open late into the evening so we always have dinner there. May not be the best meal of our visit but beautiful and unique.

I know this was a long winded post but I would love to share any information with you to help make your trip as memorable as possible. I have been in the hospitality industry for 25 years and own a tiny Air Bnb in the States so travel is my passion and your honeymoon is a time for special memories.

Part of the fun is researching new places, so while tedious with all of your wedding plans, it will get you excited for your new married life and a new adventure overseas!!

Take care, congrats and have fun regardless of where you go. We live in a big, beautiful world with so many wonderful people and different cultures. Take the time to go off the beaten track, exude kindness and respect and you will have the time of your life!!!

Keep us posted!

With love,
Francefling
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 11:48 AM

We really enjoyed Sarlat and the Dordogne area (cave paintings and terrific cuisine.) You could also explore the Loire Valley. So many good choices!
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 12:20 PM

Colliure is justifiably famous as a gorgeous beach village, but most folks would not spend 4/5 days there unless they plan to see the whole area.

Chateau de Peyrepertuse is one of the Cathar Castles in the region and could be considered a highlight of France. Combine that with a drive down the Gorge de Galamus and that is an amazing one-two punch. So many great things to see in the Catalan Pyrenees. From Prats-de-Mollo to Villefranche-de-Conflent to Vernet-les-Bains and Molitg-les-Bains, an astounding string of beautiful villages.

BTW, Perpignan in France ad Barcelona in Spain are the twin capitals of Catalonia. Le Palais des Rois de Mallorca is located in Perpignan.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 01:59 PM
mjs

Any particular reasons for taking the train between Paris and Barcelona? Flying would be much faster and generally inexpensive. If you fly you can than expand your third destination to almost anywhere you can get a reasonable nonstop flight from Paris as long as that destination also has a similar flight to Barcelona.
I should also point out that August is prime holiday time in Europe so the seaside and mountains will be booked up and crowded and expensive. Our hotel in San Sebastián for example doubled in price with the start of July this year.
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 03:00 PM

Ali,

There are so may options. I always get overwhelmed when I start planning a trip.

I agree flying is quicker, depending on where you stay in Paris. The time spent getting to CDG Airport, security and such is a huge factor for us when we take a trip. For your first trip to Europe I vote for at least a partial train route. The trains are fabulous!

Vueling is a wonderful, budget friendly airlines that services Barcelona. I have been researching my trip and I believe they have some non stop, one way flights around 100e that leave from Paris, Lyon or Marseille. Please don't quote me on that.

If 3 city destinations make each place you stay too hectic (I find that there is never enough time, lol) I would suggest splitting the difference and adding time in both Paris and Barcelona. Maybe a short trip by train from Paris to the Champagne region and another day trip out to Versailles.

I have only driven to Tarragona, south of Barcelona and a long drive from Paris to San Sebastian via Bordeaux but I am sure someone here could give you some suggestions regarding short trips out of Barcelona.

Regardless... enjoy!!
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 03:29 PM

My apologies. Just realized you posted this is your second trip to Europe. So sorry my reading comprehension is off today. Enjoy your second trip across the pond!
Old Jul 15th, 2021, 10:21 PM
mjs

A few questions. Are you flying into Europe from the USA? Direct or with a stop somewhere else in Europe? Where did you go on your first trip to Europe and what did you like best about that trip?
Has your future spouse to be been to Europe and if so where? There are lots of different options for a third place for you. I myself might choose Venice.
I should also note that COVID delta is spreading in Europe. Spain and Portugal just today went into red. Hard to tell what August will bring. Would recommend researching other options just in case and book hotel rooms that can be canceled on short notice. Our recent trip started with Cornwall as our destination and that changed to Lisbon and Porto, than to the Basque Country and Lisbon than finally to the Basque Country and Bordeaux due to COVID and the responses of various governments to the changing pandemic. Hopefully this won't happen to you but you might have to change plans with little notice.
Old Jul 16th, 2021, 04:51 AM

For a two week vacation, my standard recommendation is to rent a car for at least 3 days so you can experience the countryside without limitations. Cities are great, of course, but part of the glory of Europe is rural life. If your vacation is longer, then that gives you even more possibilities.
Old Jul 17th, 2021, 05:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Toulouse and/or Bordeaux would seem obvious to me. Bordeaux now has the added attraction of having the Bassins des Lumières, the new addition to the "Lumières" family (Carrières des Lumières in Les Baux or Atélier des Lumières in Paris, or if you stray a bit, the Bunker des Lumières in South Korea).

Here is the photo report that I made about it last year: Bassins de Lumières - Bordeaux | Any Port in a Storm (proboards.com)

But if you don't have time to waste on looking at that, here is just the little video:

Old Jul 17th, 2021, 01:21 PM

There are so many beautiful and interesting places, but I would keep logistics simple. Also, between two large, busy cities like Paris and Barcelona, I would definitely go for something much smaller and perhaps medieval with sea views. I have not been, but Collioure looks perfect!
Old Jul 19th, 2021, 02:32 AM

Train is definitely a greener option.

Girona and Figueres are great options. As they are not far from one another, you can base in either of them.

This region offers great food, art (Dali museum) and countryside option.
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 07:20 AM

You have lots of great information here. This is a popular podcast by a woman who lives in Toulouse. You can get it on any of the podcast apps; this is her website.

She explores lots of towns and has covered Toulouse, Montpellier and Sarlat, which all have been suggested here:

https://joinusinfrance.com/

Happy Planning!
Old Jul 20th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the great insight. I’m still not sure about where to go. I’m really worried about the heat, I thought about many places but when I read about them every one says they are unpleasant in August. I was thinking of doing Provence before heading to Barcelona but again it seems to be unbearable from what I read. I also thought of Loire valley as I hear it’s a good romanic spot but again the weather seems to be an issue as well. My trip is late August so I don’t know if it makes a difference weather wise.

Last edited by Ali91; Jul 20th, 2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old Jul 21st, 2021, 06:37 AM

I am weather sensitive, and I feel you are overthinking the heat situation. Go up into the Pyrennes if it's a big issue for you. You will find stunning places all around up there. If I never went to all the places I've been in August, I'd be so much sadder for it. For so many years I had no choice for the time of year I had to travel.

I understand avoiding high heat and high humidity. I was in Hong Kong in the summer and could hardly breathe the air, so thick and heavy. But the places you are looking at are all ok.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -