What to do between Nafplion and Delphi

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2022, 06:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! We're staying in Nafplion for three nights, during which I figure we can see some of the nearby historical sites like Mycenae and Epidavros.

Then we have 3 days / 2 nights where I'm not sure what we should do, before we want to get to Delphi for the following night, to see it in the morning. What would people recommend for those days? We'll have a car.

Mystras and Messene both look interesting, but both are kind of out of the way. Would it make sense to go to one of those for a night, then backtrack through Cornith and drive along the northern coast of Peloponesse to Delphi? Or would you drive along the western coast? In either case, that's a long drive....where would you break it up and spend the next night?

(I'm kind of eager to figure out where we'll stay, since there are a bunch of us and I'd like to book accommodation.)

(Side question, is it reasonable to see Delphi in the morning and get back to Athens airport by say 3pm? Or is that not enough time?)

Last edited by jacob12345; Jun 16th, 2022 at 06:41 PM.
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 02:42 PM

Hi Jacob! I am so jealous of your trip to Greece. It has been since 2010 when I visited and it was a wonderful trip!

We had more time to explore by car but this post may give you some ideas depending on your traveling crew and their interests. We love to drive the country roads which some don't but we have never had a problem and always find a great restaurant or unique attraction.

We left Athens in the morning and drove the east coast of the Peloponnese to Epidavros and saw the theatre, had a picnic lunch and then headed to Nafplion. Spent a few days in Nafplion with a day trip to Mycenae. We left Nafplion and headed to Mystras, hiked the cliff city and had a picnic lunch in the afternoon looking over the valley. Then we drove the mountain road down into Kalamata which was spectacular and made it to town before dark to stay for the night.

Had a wonderful dinner, woke up in the morning and drove the coastal roads to Olympia, stopping into a beautiful waterside town for an enjoyable lunch. We stayed in Olympia for a couple of nights which was great since the tourist crowds cleared out in the evening. The museum is amazing if you enjoy Greek history!

We left Olympia headed to Delphi for a couple of nights. It has been a while but I am pretty sure we left Delphi after checking out of the hotel and made it to the airport in Athens for an evening flight.

Whatever you do Greece is spectacular!
Have a wonderful time!
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Half_Step Thanks! That sounds pretty similar to what I'm thinking of. So maybe we'll just stay in Olympia one night to break up the drive, even if we don't have time to see much there. Does this sound too rushed — one day from Nafplion to Mystras to Kalamata, as you did, then one day from Kalamata to Messene to Olympia, then one day from Olympia to Delphi?
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 06:08 PM

You may shortchange Delphi if you arrive there one evening and need to be at Athens airport the next day in time to drop your rental car and check in for a late afternoon or early evening flight. Visiting Nemea might work as a substitute for Olympia and help you cut out some of the driving.
The Langada pass between Mystras and Kalamata is amazing, though, and a highlight of your road trip for sure.

In 2019 we stayed in the village of Mavromatti, overlooking Ancient Messene. Highly recommend it, if the guesthouse has room for all of you. This eliminates the drive in and out of Kalamata city, but also means missing Kalamata’s archeological museum.
Old Jun 17th, 2022, 06:44 PM

We returned from Greece on May 29. Mystras was our favorite of all the ruins we saw. It is stunning and beautiful, and I would love to return.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 10:19 AM

Hi Jacob. It's a terribly busy day for me but didn't want you to think I just did a drive by! lol Will ponder the questions and reply tonight. Enjoy researching... it's so much fun but overwhelming, I adore the Fodorite's wise wisdom. ( I look like a new member but forgot my password since not traveling during covid. greetings from Francefling!)
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Half_Step Haha, that's very thoughtful of you. No worries, drive-by or otherwise. I'm now actually thinking of just driving straight from Messene to Delphi, and skipping Olympia, to avoid rushing Delphi.
Old Jun 18th, 2022, 01:25 PM

jacob, if you do as said, Messene to Dellphi, you'll be going via the Corinth Canal, and ajust about 15 mile before the canal, exit left (west) at ANCIENT NEMEA for 5 miles and Guess what!! a greata "Olylmpia runner-up" .. sacred games site! Beautifully excavated and presented a stunning stadium... so compelling tht it has inspired a Scred games revival -- on July 22 I think, there will be the 5th running... contestants come from all over the world... authentic ceremonies... runners compete in tradtional garb.. what thrill. ANd you can a stop & and appreciate in n hour.. lucky you! https://nemeangames.org
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 05:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jacob12345
Half_Step Haha, that's very thoughtful of you. No worries, drive-by or otherwise. I'm now actually thinking of just driving straight from Messene to Delphi, and skipping Olympia, to avoid rushing Delphi.
Of all the sites I saw in Greece last month, Olympia was my least favorite. Mystras and Messene are fabulous as is Delphi. You could add a night onto Nafplion and see Mystras from there if you want. I have a TR with photos of the sites if you click on my name. Have a great trip!

Last edited by yestravel; Jun 20th, 2022 at 05:12 AM.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 09:09 AM

nothing like rushing it ... screaming from one side of the Peloponnese to the other!
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by patriciatbrogan
nothing like rushing it ... screaming from one side of the Peloponnese to the other!
Having just spent a month in Greece with 2+ weeks in the Peloponnese - the distances are not far at all. And the drives are spectacular with interesting sites along the way.
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

Just to follow up on my own question, we ended up going from Nafplio to Mystras one day, seeing Mystras, then driving to Messene that evening. We saw ancient Messene the next morning, then drove all the way up to Galaxidi that day. It was a long drive, but we didn't feel too rushed. Mystras was wonderful, although the heat meant that we had a little less energy for hiking than I would have liked. But Messene was my favorite -- we stayed in the small town right near the ruins, and had the ruins almost to ourselves the next day. As it happened, there was a choir rehearsing at the ancient stadium the night we stayed there, which was very cool to hear. We didn't end up stopping in Nemea or Olympia though...we'll have to save those for next time. Anyway, thanks for all the advice!
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by jacob12345
Just to follow up on my own question, we ended up going from Nafplio to Mystras one day, seeing Mystras, then driving to Messene that evening. We saw ancient Messene the next morning, then drove all the way up to Galaxidi that day. It was a long drive, but we didn't feel too rushed. Mystras was wonderful, although the heat meant that we had a little less energy for hiking than I would have liked. But Messene was my favorite -- we stayed in the small town right near the ruins, and had the ruins almost to ourselves the next day. As it happened, there was a choir rehearsing at the ancient stadium the night we stayed there, which was very cool to hear. We didn't end up stopping in Nemea or Olympia though...we'll have to save those for next time. Anyway, thanks for all the advice!
Glad it worked out for you -- too bad about the heat. Those little towns in the Pelopennese are wonderful places. I preferred Messene & Mystras to Olympia.

Last edited by yestravel; Aug 6th, 2022 at 03:20 PM.
Old Aug 6th, 2022, 03:13 PM

Oh my, how perfect an experience of Messene! Glad you enjoyed your trip.