Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

What is best way to get from Ravenna to Slovenia/Croatia?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 31st, 2023, 05:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

We are getting off a cruise from Ravenna and are planning on spending time in Slovenia/Croatia and then departing from ZAG (Zagreb) Croatia. What is best way to get over to Slovenia/Croatia. Ferry/Train? Seems one way car rental is to expensive.

You help is appreciated.

Thank You

Last edited by clogman; May 31st, 2023 at 05:14 AM.
Old May 31st, 2023, 07:08 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Ferry.
Old May 31st, 2023, 07:56 AM

I usually start off with using the Rome2Rio website as it will suggest several options. Venezia Lines used to run a ferry from Ravenna to Croatia but they have cancelled that service.

Last edited by KTtravel; May 31st, 2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old May 31st, 2023, 10:49 AM

There are ferries from Venice to various ports in Northern Croatia, such as Rovinj. A train to Venice would take about 3 1/2 hours, with a change in,, Bologna, and the ferry would take about 4 hours. You might have to spend the night in Venice to get a morning departure.

There are overnight ferries from Ancona to Split. A train from Ravenna to Ancona, again with a change in Bologna, takes about 2 1/2 hours, and you could easily get there in time for an evening departure. We travelled to Split this way last year, and it was a pleasant trip.

You could also go by train from Ravenna to Trieste, taking about 5 1/2 to 6 hours. You usually have to change in Ferrara and in Venice, but there are a few direct trains from Ferrara to Trieste. Once you are in Trieste, you can take a bus to various places in Slovenia.

I know that cruise passengers often have a lot of luggage, and all of these trips seem tedious to me with luggage, because at least the first leg of the train journey would be on a regional train, much like a commuter train in the US. Of the three, I think the overnight ferry from Ancona would be the least troublesome.

However, if you mostly want to visit northern Croatia and Slovenia, it might be best to take the train to Trieste. If you do that, I would try to connect to one of the direct Intercity trains from Ferrara to Trieste, to avoid having to change trains a second time.
Old May 31st, 2023, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bvlenci
There are ferries from Venice to various ports in Northern Croatia, such as Rovinj. A train to Venice would take about 3 1/2 hours, with a change in,, Bologna, and the ferry would take about 4 hours. You might have to spend the night in Venice to get a morning departure.

There are overnight ferries from Ancona to Split. A train from Ravenna to Ancona, again with a change in Bologna, takes about 2 1/2 hours, and you could easily get there in time for an evening departure. We travelled to Split this way last year, and it was a pleasant trip.

You could also go by train from Ravenna to Trieste, taking about 5 1/2 to 6 hours. You usually have to change in Ferrara and in Venice, but there are a few direct trains from Ferrara to Trieste. Once you are in Trieste, you can take a bus to various places in Slovenia.

I know that cruise passengers often have a lot of luggage, and all of these trips seem tedious to me with luggage, because at least the first leg of the train journey would be on a regional train, much like a commuter train in the US. Of the three, I think the overnight ferry from Ancona would be the least troublesome.

However, if you mostly want to visit northern Croatia and Slovenia, it might be best to take the train to Trieste. If you do that, I would try to connect to one of the direct Intercity trains from Ferrara to Trieste, to avoid having to change trains a second time.
Thank you for the information, this was very helpful. I appreciate it.
Old May 31st, 2023, 01:35 PM

It would help to know a little more about the areas of both countries you are intending to travel to.

With that having been said, I have taken the Venezia Lines ferry from Venice to Piran (goes down to Pula) but is not really a "passenger" ferry but marketed more as a "tourist day trip" from Istra to Venice. It arrived over an hour late and was incredibly noisy - which is not a deal breaker per se, but was a bit much for me personally. I also found it to be a bit overpriced - 75 Euro for a one way trip. While yes, it ferries passengers, there seems to be a bit of a tourist "mark up" given it's operation model.

If you're planning on heading to Slovenia and Croatia from the Istran Peninsula, I'd personally take the train to Trieste and bus or car from there.

But again, if you're heading to other areas (such as Split) the answer might change to either fly (which I rarely recommend) or the Ancona line as suggested up thread.

The ferry/catamarans that operate on the coast, Krilo or Jadrolinja (I think there is another that operates down to Zadar, but I do not have personal experience with them nor recall the operator name), if you need to take them, they are much more reliable and cheaper than Venezia Lines is, at least in my opinion.
Old May 31st, 2023, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Travel_Nerd
It would help to know a little more about the areas of both countries you are intending to travel to.

With that having been said, I have taken the Venezia Lines ferry from Venice to Piran (goes down to Pula) but is not really a "passenger" ferry but marketed more as a "tourist day trip" from Istra to Venice. It arrived over an hour late and was incredibly noisy - which is not a deal breaker per se, but was a bit much for me personally. I also found it to be a bit overpriced - 75 Euro for a one way trip. While yes, it ferries passengers, there seems to be a bit of a tourist "mark up" given it's operation model.

If you're planning on heading to Slovenia and Croatia from the Istran Peninsula, I'd personally take the train to Trieste and bus or car from there.

But again, if you're heading to other areas (such as Split) the answer might change to either fly (which I rarely recommend) or the Ancona line as suggested up thread.

The ferry/catamarans that operate on the coast, Krilo or Jadrolinja (I think there is another that operates down to Zadar, but I do not have personal experience with them nor recall the operator name), if you need to take them, they are much more reliable and cheaper than Venezia Lines is, at least in my opinion.
We are headed to Lake Bled area of Slovenia and remaining stay will be northern part of Croatia. We do plan on renting a car once in Slovenia/Croatia. (Seems one way car rental from Italy to ZAG is not possible.)
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 01:34 AM

There are also trains from Trieste to Ljubjana, operated by Austrian railways OBB. From there you can easily get to Bled.
Old Jun 1st, 2023, 01:50 AM

Ravenna - Bled:
By train: Ravenna dp 8.43 or 13.10,change at Ferrara (dp 10.44 or 15.00), Mestre (dp 12.14 or 16.14) and Gorizia. At Gorizia, you will have to move from the Italian to the Slovenian railway station (arrival 14.17 or 18.17, departure 15.55 or 19.55) in order to reach Bled Jezeero at 17.46 or 21.32.
You may also go by direct bus from Bologna (dp 12.45), Mestre (dp 9.30, 11.10, 13.50, 15.15) or Venice airport to Ljubljana.
Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd
Ravenna - Bled:
By train: Ravenna dp 8.43 or 13.10,change at Ferrara (dp 10.44 or 15.00), Mestre (dp 12.14 or 16.14) and Gorizia. At Gorizia, you will have to move from the Italian to the Slovenian railway station (arrival 14.17 or 18.17, departure 15.55 or 19.55) in order to reach Bled Jezeero at 17.46 or 21.32.
You may also go by direct bus from Bologna (dp 12.45), Mestre (dp 9.30, 11.10, 13.50, 15.15) or Venice airport to Ljubljana.
With a lot of luggage, this trip (with four changes of train) would be torture for me. The bus from Bologna sounds more manageable.
Old Jun 2nd, 2023, 11:59 AM

E una tortura, certo!
Nevertheless: train changes are often easier than a change from a train station to a bus terminal o vice versa.
At Gorizia, they would need a taxi anyway.
Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 12:27 AM

You could incorporate the shuttle service into your plans.
https://www.goopti.com/en/

Train to Trieste and maybe sleep for a night to break up the journey. You can book it all the way to Bled, but it might be easier to pick up the car at Ljubljana airport. You can also do goopti from Bologna airport but that is a pretty long day if you want to go in the cheapest shuttle.
Old Jun 3rd, 2023, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by neckervd
E una tortura, certo!
Nevertheless: train changes are often easier than a change from a train station to a bus terminal o vice versa.
At Gorizia, they would need a taxi anyway.
Fortunately, the bus station in Bologna is very near the train station. An easy walk with a reasonable amount of luggage, provided you take the right exit from the train station.

I don't have any recent experience with some of these train stations, but all of them are straight-through stations, which means there are usually stairs to negotiate. All of the tracks in Bologna are served by elevators now, but I don't know about the others.

Last edited by bvlenci; Jun 3rd, 2023 at 03:40 AM.