Search

Whale watching July/August

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21st, 2022, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whale watching July/August

HI all
Please forgive me if its the wrong place to post but after 3 blanks on whale watching trips im after some advice. I understand they are mammals and not tame but could anyone give any pointers of the best places to see Whales in Europe in July/August time please? Need to be that time of year as I work in education so fits in with the school holidays in the uk. Any advice would be great.
Many thanks
Andy
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 05:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The Azores are fantastic for this sort of thing

you may also find this organisation knows a bit about it

https://wwhandbook.iwc.int/en/country-profiles/portugal

Last edited by bilboburgler; Aug 21st, 2022 at 06:06 AM.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 05:45 AM

You need to be where whales are migrating that time of year. I can’t help with Europe, but if you were willing to travel to the Western Cape of South Africa you would be almost guaranteed to see whales in July/August. It’s a long way to travel, but might be better than the three blanks you have already had.
https://insideguide.co.za/cape-town/whale-watching/
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 07:36 AM

What sort of whales are you hoping to see?

https://www.whalewatching.com/where-to-watch/europe/

https://www.wildsea.eu/blog-en/the-1...-watching.html

Tarifa in Spain fits your school holiday needs.
If you choose to go on a boat tour for Whale watching please make sure they obey the recommendations regarding distance and interaction with the animals. Find one with a marine biologist on board if you can. Not all do and they can cause real problems. They are not cheap but can be worth it. Some offer a second go if you don't see whales/orcas/dolphins on your first trip.

There again you can see them off Ireland and northern Scotland too, and maybe get to see a basking shark too.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 07:48 AM

I’ve spent most of life by the water - last February was the first time at our house near Bordeaux that we actually had a holiday without being by the sea.

The posts so far sum up things really well. You need to understand their movements and their food sources before you look for them - I’ve had idiots on the quayside in Reykjavik trying to sell me trips when I (and they) know damn well there will be no whales around.

I’ve seen a Southern Right Whale being born 200 metres off the beach in the Western Cale - comes about number 3 of our lifetime experiences - the whales were everywhere that Autumn.

in summer, I agree - Tarifa is a good starting point - there are 3 pods of very active Orca which are currently attacking sailing yachts In the area for some inexplicable reason.

The Ligurian sea between San Remo, Corsica and Genoa is deep and rich in krill - there are resident populations of sperm and fin whales. P

I think Norway is out as the Blue, Orca and Humpbacks are usually winter visitors.

The Sea between the Inner and Outer Hebrides are very rich food sources and a good place to sea pilot, minke and fin whales. The warming waters have been extremely good for the basking sharks (combined with the fact that we don’t bash them over the head for their oil any more).

I agree with Bilbo - The Azores has an incredible food chain and is one of the few places left that I want to visit.

Simple question - where are you based ?

Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Hi all
Thats all really helpful thank you.
Sorry not replied sooner but is only 5 posts per 24hrs that I didnt realise
We're looking at any types of Whales to be honest. I also have threads in Canada, USA and MId Americas as we want to up our chances of seeing them next year.
We've always gone with reputable tours with scientists on board so is more than just a tourist attraction.
We are based in the UK but are happy to travel wherever to increase our chances.
Thanks all
Really helpful so far!
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 11:24 AM

Alaska is the place to view humpbacks, we’ve been three times and have seen hundreds of whales. July/August would be prime viewing time, we saw them from the beach and the cruise ship, apart from dedicated whale watching tours.

We were in Mexico in Cabo san Lucas this January and again saw humpbacks, many mothers with calves.

Hawaii and South Africa come to mind, as some have suggested. Haven’t been to the Azores, but that sounds wonderful, need to research…
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 11:53 AM

Andy , some of the trips we are all suggesting will cost you £5k plus at least - from the U.K.

I would call Seafari in The Hebrides , they are very professional and have been around for years - their trips usually cost £100 to £200. They will certainly be able to advise as to the best options.

Also sign up for any British whale watching groups - we do have rogue individuals who hang around for weeks - 3 years ago there was a Humpback in the Cylde for weeks.

Last edited by BritishCaicos; Aug 22nd, 2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by BritishCaicos
Andy , some of the trips we are all suggesting will cost you £5k plus at least - from the U.K.

I would call Seafari in The Hebrides , they are very professional and have been around for years - their trips usually cost £100 to £200. They will certainly be able to advise as to the best options.

Also sign up for any British whale watching groups - we do have rogue individuals who hang around for weeks - 3 years ago there was a Humpback in the Cylde for weeks.
You’re right BC, these trips will definitely cost $$$. For someone in the US you can find a relatively cheap last minute cruise to Alaska, Cabo too can be quite inexpensive. Which isn’t the case for someone flying across the pond.

Portugal is one of the less expensive EU countries, though I have no idea about costs in the Azores.

But since the OP mentioned next summer, perhaps he could explore the different possibilities.

Last edited by geetika; Aug 22nd, 2022 at 01:19 PM.
Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 01:06 PM

Geetika

You are so right - the current exchange rate for Brits is just terrible …nothing will be cheap in the dollar based economies.

Old Aug 22nd, 2022, 11:50 PM

South Africa is inexpensive, and Cape Town, where my in-laws live, is a world class city with many things to see along with whale watching. At several locations along the coast within 1-3 hours drive from Cape Town it is possible to see the whales from shore as well as by boat. Hermanus, for example, is only 1hr 30min drive from Cape Town Int’l Airport, and would be a good base for whale watching in De Hoop or Gansbaai along with Hermanus itself.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 03:22 AM

I totally agree Heimdall

it’s one of my favourite places and living expenses are still cheap - we had a Michelin 1 star meal in Constantia - 4 years ago for £45 a head including wine - which wouldn’t get you the starter France.

The real problem now is the airfares for long haul - many prices seem to have doubled post Covid.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 10:18 AM

BC, you are right about air fares, although last time to Cape Town I returned just at the start of Covid. I prefer the BA non-stop overnight flights, but it’s possible to get a better fare with stopovers in Joburg or with Emirates at Dubai, for example. Other choices include direct flights with Virgin Atlantic from London to Cape Town, and one passenger I sat next to said he usually flies from the UK to Amsterdam for a KLM flight from there to Cape Town.
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your advice all.
Your right,, exchange rate is horrific at the moment.
We are planning for next summer so are ware of costs but iver the years I've tried to book our flights about 10 months before hand to get the best deals. Got 2 of us to New Zealand the year before covid for under £1k.
We flew to Scotland in June for a few days for my wifes 50th birthday gift and booked with Seafari and the weather was that bad we never got off shore. lol
Did think about South Africa has one of her dearest friends in Cape Town so could tie it in with a visit.
And thanks again for your input all, it really is appreciated
Old Aug 23rd, 2022, 12:28 PM

Andy

Have you been to Norway ?

Norwegian offer reasonably priced flights - The whales in February have been very unpredictable over the past 10 years, probably due to the food sources moving with the change in water temperatures.

we are going to The Lofotens in February - it’s usually a great time - much more light than December, lots of Aurora activity, usually plenty of snow - I think the whales were around Tromso last year. The fjords usually offer good protection from swell so the sightings are easier.

if you don’t see whales , the odds are you’ll see The Aurora.