Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Was just gifted a trip to Dublin, Prague, and Vienna for the first week of April!

Search

Was just gifted a trip to Dublin, Prague, and Vienna for the first week of April!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25th, 2019, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My stocking held an AMAZING gift from my husband. A trip to Dublin, Prague, and Vienna!

We are leaving Toronto on Friday, March 27, fly to Prague on Sunday, March 29, drive around Prague and Vienna, fly back to Dublin on Saturday, April 4, and fly back to Toronto on Easter Sunday, April 5.

I've been to Dublin before and am excited to show it to my husband. That was over a decade ago, so anything new please let me know.

And then Prague and Vienna are new to both of us! I need an itinerary from Sunday to Saturday. We LOVE medieval towns and I know there is a UNESCO town we will stay in I assume? I want to do some hiking and nature stuff. I love rivers. I love castles. I like to book the hotels and I love cool old places.

I am super excited! Life is just better if you know your name is on an airline reservation somewhere!!!
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What does "drive around Prague and Vienna" mean? Are you not going to explore the cities themselves? The two cities (and a train ride between) could easily fill 6 days.

Have you investigated the cost of renting a car in Czechia and dropping it in Austria? There is usually a significant one-way surcharge. Not sure, but I think you would also need to buy vignettes to drive in both countries.

There are several UNESCO World Heritage sites in both Czechia and Austria.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...Czech_Republic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...tes_in_Austria

I don't travel to Europe at that time of year, so I can't speak from experience regarding the weather. You might want to check historical records to see if it's realistic to consider hiking.
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 09:30 AM

Arriving to Prague on Sunday and leaving Vienna next Saturday means only 5 full days for the 2 cities.

The historic centers of both cities are UNESCO listed with plenty of medieval parts, but the architecture from later periods is also very impressive.

If you love castles you may want to make a short daytrip(or half day trip) to one of these castles near Prague and Vienna respectively.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl%C5%A1tejn

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burg_Kreuzenstein

As already mentioned driving makes no sense for this trip. Both cities are made for walking and have some of the best public transit in the world.

For getting from Prague to Vienna taking a train(4 hours) is the best way to travel.

https://www.seat61.com/trains-and-ro...a-by-train.htm

I'd book 3 nights in Prague and 3 nights in Vienna. I would not book the train in advance so that you can decide on the spot whether to spend an extra day in Prague on Wednesday and take an evening train to Vienna or in case you had enough of Prague take a morning train and spend the rest of the day in Vienna.

Given you short time I'd just focus on the urban delights and leave hiking and nature stuff for other trips. I mean if you're living in Toronto you can escape to amazing nature on any weekend, but you can't get to Prague and Vienna so easily.
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 09:41 AM

Merry Xmas-and what a wonderful gift. I agree you should check into taking trains between Prague and Vienna and then just renting a car in one or both places to see things outside the city if necessary because the cost of the rental drop off could be high.

Also, just as an aside I think Easter Sunday is the 12th of April in 2020 unless I am missing something? I say that because we have been date-planning around it in Spain to make sure we don't hit busy places.
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Oops, push the trip forward a week. I got my dates mixed up

We will stay several days in both cities, but we are going to drive between them. We are stopping for a night in Cesky Krumlov?

We live in Detroit, so any type of natural elevation I appreciate.

We love driving in Europe.

Old Dec 25th, 2019, 10:17 AM

"We will stay several days in both cities, but we are going to drive between them. We are stopping for a night in Cesky Krumlov?"

That would mean you could spend only 1 full day in one city and 2 days in the other.

You should seriously reconsider adding Cesky Krumlov or anything else between Prague and Vienna. 5 days is way too short for that.

"any type of natural elevation I appreciate."

Both cities are located at the foot of hills.

"We love driving in Europe."

I see, but it just doesn't fit in with going to see Prague and Vienna. I mean if I would love to drive in the USA I wouldn't go to New York City and Boston. Leave your European driving holiday for the next time(I recommend Norway for amazing driving).
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 12:45 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
IMHO driving makes almost no sense. Trains are a much better option. - again IMHO
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 02:45 PM

What a great Christmas present. While I agree that you could spend a lot more time in both Prague and Vienna, your time frame is set and you need to decide how to make it work for you. In that time frame and locations, I also wouldn’t bother with hiring a car. Nor do I think you have time for hiking even if weather allowed.

As part of a longer trip, I recently (re)visited Vienna and Salzburg, both cities I really like and have visited a number of times. While there are regular direct trains, I decided to see Cesky Krumlov en route. For this I used a shuttle service - CK Shuttle. (My brother used an alternative service Shuttle CK to travel from Prague to CK and there are other options available). We were both happy with the service and ease of travel and can recommend it as an option to visit Cesky Krumlov. I travelled solo so was in a shared shuttle, my brother had a private shuttle for his family of 4.

So while you need to decide ( and limit) what you see, I think you you can get a taste of those cities in the short time you have. A possible itinerary might be:
5 April arrive Prague - remainder of day in Prague
6 April Prague
7 April half day Prague and take afternoon shuttle ( you may have options of early or late afternoon) to CK. It takes 3-3.5 hrs
8 April CK then late afternoon shuttle to Vienna ( 3- 3.5 hrs)
9 April Vienna
10 April Vienna
11 April travel Vienna to Dublin. Morning or afternoon depends or what you want to do in Dublin
12 April Dublin. Flight home

With this fast paced itinerary you will need to prioritise what you want to see in both Prague and Vienna. I would also suggest researching possible impacts that the Easter period may have in those cities as well as a Dublin. I did a quick google search and the VisitVienna.com site gave a good overview.

The many more experienced travellers on this board can perhaps give you more detailed advice.
Good luck and enjoy your trip
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Lizzie! That was very helpful!
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 11:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trains and planes will prove a better investment. Prague has a lot to do but is surrounded by some nice walks. If you do decide to go out of town maybe Melnik, nice little wine town just down the river.
Old Dec 25th, 2019, 11:53 PM

Trains and planes will prove a better investment. Prague has a lot to do but is surrounded by some nice walks. If you do decide to go out of town maybe Melnik, nice little wine town just down the river.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 01:02 PM
Original Poster

I found this! This is what I'm looking for:

https://littleholidays.net/blog/driving-prague-vienna/
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 02:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"I found this! This is what I'm looking for..."

It's a great itinerary... which would require 2+ weeks if you include the "quick stop-overs" and spend the suggested amount of time in each location. You don't have a full 7 days.
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by kelliebellie
I found this! This is what I'm looking for:

https://littleholidays.net/blog/driving-prague-vienna/
That sounds like an appealing and relaxing itinerary, provided that you have more time than you do for this trip. As others have said, driving is not practical given the short time that you have, especially if you have not visited Prague or Vienna before. Your autp drop off charges in a second country will likely be very high as well. Why not do as suggested and get a taste of each city and take a train in between?
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 03:13 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I found this! This is what I'm looking for:<<

If your allocation of days was accurate you have only 5.5 days on the ground between flights in to Prague and out of Vienna. How do you propose to use that itinerary in the link????
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Sunday and Monday nights in Prague with no car
Tuesday and Wednesday nights in the road
Thursday and Friday nights in Vienna with no car

I prefer countryside and villages to big cities. We drove through Spanish Extremadura last spring and had the best trip ever with only two days in Madrid.

I have to say that I've been using this forum for about two decades and have never asked a question to receive such negativity.

If you have a suggestion on a car company with the lowest drop off fee, that would be helpful. I've found one that isn't bad, looking for others.

If you have other helpful pieces of advice, other than don't go, please let me know!
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 06:55 AM

Positive advice, do go, consider reducing targets and less use of car

If you prefer going to countryside then go there and avoid cities, the Danube or Elbe are especially pretty, maybe go hiking in the saxon alps
Old Dec 27th, 2019, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by kelliebellie
Sunday and Monday nights in Prague with no car
Tuesday and Wednesday nights in the road
Thursday and Friday nights in Vienna with no car

I prefer countryside and villages to big cities. We drove through Spanish Extremadura last spring and had the best trip ever with only two days in Madrid.

I have to say that I've been using this forum for about two decades and have never asked a question to receive such negativity.
It's just that you give confusing input.
You state that you prefer the countryside to big cities, but you plan to spend most of your time in Prague and Vienna (both "big cities" with more than 1 or close to 2 million inhabitants). This is confusing like saying you like warm weather and plan to visit Toronto in January.
If you were using Prague airport just as a port of entry but then wanted to do the road trip you found on the web it would be more in line with the preferences you stated.

Anyway, the routing thru Bohemia and parts of Moravia on that blog is a bit weird from waypoint F to G. The motorway between Prague and Brno is not a scenic highway but trucks bumper to bumper on the right lane. From waypoint F you could head to Vienna (skip Brno and Valnice-Lednice) via Znojmo (and pay for cross-border drop-off). Or continue to Brno to drop off the car in CZ and train to Vienna from there.
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 05:07 AM
Original Poster

We like a mix of cities and country. I just want some ideas for two days in between the cities. I don't know why everyone is pooping on that.

But thank you. That is good to know about Brno. I was thinking of keeping it because the restaurants look fantastic. It looks like we could get a Michelin type meal for not Michelin price.

Hiking along the rivers sounds great. Maybe suggesting an actual specific hiking location?
Old Dec 28th, 2019, 06:44 AM

Ah, guess I "get it" now.

I wouldn't say that the itinerary you found was totally over the top for two days - if you plan to end in Brno.
The castles and gardens of Lednice-Valtice (waypoint H) are widespread - actually two locations, with a rather byzantine system of visiting different parts of the castles. If you're fine with skipping this site, the "rest" shouldn't be a problem.

In Brno, the Villa Tugendhat is a very popular (UNESCO) site, but I never managed to get tickets as I always forgot to buy way in advance.
OTOH, it's not that much of a loss unless you're seriously into 20th century architecture.

The suggested visit of Hluboka castle (waypoint B) could be "too much", depending on how much time you need, e.g. when it's a busy location where getting there and waiting for a tour could suck up more time than you have (never visited that castle, so this is just speculating).

Personally, I would focus on Cesky Krumlov and Telc. And spend time at the other locations as you please, or as there is time remaining.

From Telc to Brno I would use regional highway 23 east instead of the suggested route north to the motorway.
And take a look at Trebic or stop for a coffee or lunch if you can.

There a many trains per day from Brno to Vienna, both by Czech state railway CD or Austrian railway ÖBB as well as by private competitor Regiojet. If you can commit on a specific time, Regiojet usually offers the best fares (we're talking about fares in the vicinity of €10 or so).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -