Visiting Venice in December?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2022, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone! i am planning my European trip this December, people helped me a lot in previous post, i am rethinking my itinerary (me and my GF want to visit multiple cities\countries) so is it a good idea to visit Venice in December?
I think we will fly to Rome then go to Venice by bus or train. If the weather gets bad instead of Venice we will visit Florence. I would also like to take a 1 day tour to Amalfi coast from Rome or to Pisa tower, do they have winter tours to Amalfi?
Thank you!
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 01:17 PM

This will be part of your overall trip. It would be post just to continue your questions on your original post, with all of your thoughts and ideas together.
I will answer part of this though.
One day trip from Rome to the Amalfi Coast in December is not worth going and likely only possible with an expensive private driver.
Pisa from Rome is also a poor day trip. Most people would go from Florence to Pisa. That is an easy trip by train.
Are you changing your whole trip now to allow a decent amount of time in Italy, 4 nights in Rome, a day of travel to Venice, 2 or 3 nights in Venice and another day to get to the next destination? Anything else in Italy needs another day and night.
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 03:03 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also keep in mind how early sunset will be in December... about 4:30p.

And that nighttime temps in both Venice and Florence could drop to freezing. If it even drizzles overnight, sidewalks can be slippery until it warms up a bit. All in all, days are short.
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 03:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Venice is magical! Go!
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 04:07 PM

Sorry, realized my mistakes might make my above post not make sense. I meant to ask if you were back to including Italy as part of your overall itinerary, along with Paris and Amsterdam or Barcelona? If so, then it is better to keep all of your ideas and changes in one thread. Otherwise, people will still be responding to the old itinerary that even included Portugal, or they will respond to the Italy thread with no consideration for how it fits with the rest if the trip.
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 09:34 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
This will be part of your overall trip. It would be post just to continue your questions on your original post, with all of your thoughts and ideas together.
I will answer part of this though.
One day trip from Rome to the Amalfi Coast in December is not worth going and likely only possible with an expensive private driver.
Pisa from Rome is also a poor day trip. Most people would go from Florence to Pisa. That is an easy trip by train.
Are you changing your whole trip now to allow a decent amount of time in Italy, 4 nights in Rome, a day of travel to Venice, 2 or 3 nights in Venice and another day to get to the next destination? Anything else in Italy needs another day and night.
Thank you for letting me know about Amalfi coast and the rest! yes i am changing somethings to make my trip possible! ))
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 09:39 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
Sorry, realized my mistakes might make my above post not make sense. I meant to ask if you were back to including Italy as part of your overall itinerary, along with Paris and Amsterdam or Barcelona? If so, then it is better to keep all of your ideas and changes in one thread. Otherwise, people will still be responding to the old itinerary that even included Portugal, or they will respond to the Italy thread with no consideration for how it fits with the rest if the trip.
I am thinking to start my journey from Rome instead of Paris, then fly to Barcelona, then fly to Lisbon, after that to Paris, from there visit Amsterdam and get home, maybe have a 3 day layover in Vienna and that's it (excluding Nice and Monaco) i will book tickets in advance (they are like 20$ one way and i get there in 2 hours max) the only thing i can't find if the baggage is included, and if not-how much will it cost?
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 10:24 PM

Venice in December is fine. It better be I'm booked

The big question is when? First half the month is less crowded low season. But mid month and later it's Christmas and things start getting packed.

Yes sunset is early and sunrise late but not a huge issue. You aren't going to tan. Outdoor places also have lights that you'll only really enjoy after sunset.

https://flic.kr/p/BbV2eJ
https://flic.kr/p/AR2CxL
Old Sep 27th, 2022, 10:27 PM

One more

https://flic.kr/p/BLeVVB
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Traveler_Nick
Venice in December is fine. It better be I'm booked

The big question is when? First half the month is less crowded low season. But mid month and later it's Christmas and things start getting packed.

Yes sunset is early and sunrise late but not a huge issue. You aren't going to tan. Outdoor places also have lights that you'll only really enjoy after sunset.

https://flic.kr/p/BbV2eJ

https://flic.kr/p/AR2CxL
Looks very good! i am planning to visit Italy first half of this December!