Venice with toddler (4) July

Old May 29th, 2022, 09:56 AM
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice with toddler (4) July

Hi

Anyone got any recommendations for hotel in Venice for two adults travelling with toddler (4)
Flying into Treviso getting bus into Venice to Piazzale Roma.
Later heading down to Sottomarina few days before heading home
No car hire going the public transport way

looking for any tips on travel, hotels, eating etc etc in both Venice and Sottomarina on mid budget nothing crazy

Cheers
funkyirishman is offline  
Old May 29th, 2022, 10:57 AM
  #2  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,031
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider staying on Lido. It is completely flat, and the streets are wide open, with a fountain to play at along Granviale Santa Maria Elizabetta surrounded by shops. And there is a long beach. And gelato and a grocery store on the Granviale. Very casual and easy going, with many Italian holiday-makers. And lovely (less crowded) vaporetto routes both directly from Piazzale Roma (taking the back passage on less crowded boats - - avoiding the Grand Canal and its filled-to-the-gills vaporetti on arrival). Then, when your loins are girded to traverse the main sights of Venice, you take the pretty boat ride directly across to San Marco, or Rialto, and do as much sights, narrow crowded walking lanes, and up and down steps over bridges as your 4-year-old can tolerate. Get something close to the main vaporetto stop at the base of Granviale Santa Maria Elizabetta and your transits will be short and easy from the boat to the hotel.

Last edited by dfourh; May 29th, 2022 at 11:03 AM.
dfourh is offline  
Old May 29th, 2022, 11:10 AM
  #3  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get one of those little backpack harness things for child to carry water, etc., but mostly for you to have a lead in your hand because crowds can be tight in Venice, especially around vaporetto stops and Rialto, even for adults sometimes, and you want your child close, not lost between big people.
Sassafrass is offline  
Old May 29th, 2022, 12:23 PM
  #4  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dfourh View Post
Consider staying on Lido. It is completely flat, and the streets are wide open, with a fountain to play at along Granviale Santa Maria Elizabetta surrounded by shops. And there is a long beach. And gelato and a grocery store on the Granviale. Very casual and easy going, with many Italian holiday-makers. And lovely (less crowded) vaporetto routes both directly from Piazzale Roma (taking the back passage on less crowded boats - - avoiding the Grand Canal and its filled-to-the-gills vaporetti on arrival). Then, when your loins are girded to traverse the main sights of Venice, you take the pretty boat ride directly across to San Marco, or Rialto, and do as much sights, narrow crowded walking lanes, and up and down steps over bridges as your 4-year-old can tolerate. Get something close to the main vaporetto stop at the base of Granviale Santa Maria Elizabetta and your transits will be short and easy from the boat to the hotel.
Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Get one of those little backpack harness things for child to carry water, etc., but mostly for you to have a lead in your hand because crowds can be tight in Venice, especially around vaporetto stops and Rialto, even for adults sometimes, and you want your child close, not lost between big people.
Thanks

With the lido good suggestion but we are only staying one day in Venice and don't want to haul all our luggage to lido and then haul them back to get traghetti to Sottomarina. Would like to stay in lido but hotels are crazy expensive as like one with a pool

was in Venice over 20 years ago backpacking and it was crowded then. We will definitely be holding his hand and keeping him close

Where do most traghetti go from and better to book if taking it to Sottomarina
funkyirishman is offline  
Old May 29th, 2022, 12:41 PM
  #5  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,031
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You might want to check out Sottomarina on https://www.rome2rio.com/ . The traghetti are small, gondola-like boats that cross the Grand Canal - - they might not be what you need to get to Sottomarina?
dfourh is offline  
Old May 29th, 2022, 01:47 PM
  #6  
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 4,456
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice to Sottomarina.
Vaporetto to Lido.
Motorbus to Pellestrina
Vaporetto to Chiogia.

As noted above, Rome2rio is your friend.

no need to book, it is a commuter route.
Peter_S_Aus is offline  
Old May 30th, 2022, 12:43 PM
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies

Having trouble finding hotel within our budget for the 1 night we are staying there. 1 night on arrival and 1 night on way back. Some hotels only take 2 days. Was looking for something near train station or close to Piazzale Roma. so that when bus drops us off not to far to travel to hotel.

Searched the forums and some of the hotels are nice but unless I win the Euro Millions bit out of our budget as we are only staying one night and dont want to spend to much as we hope to be out for most of the day.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know


Cheers
funkyirishman is offline  
Old May 30th, 2022, 01:29 PM
  #8  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,031
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Consider staying on Lido.
dfourh is offline  
Old May 30th, 2022, 03:44 PM
  #9  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why stay twice? Stay two nights either arriving or departing. Breaking it up into one night stays does not give you even one full day and is eating up time getting into and out of Venice twice. This does not seem to make sense logistically.
Sassafrass is offline  
Old May 30th, 2022, 11:26 PM
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Why stay twice? Stay two nights either arriving or departing. Breaking it up into one night stays does not give you even one full day and is eating up time getting into and out of Venice twice. This does not seem to make sense logistically.
Yes that was an option we are looking at. We have early flight from Dublin so will be up at the crack of dawn. Then wait in airport and then flight and thought once we get to Venice we can stay there and then head to Sottomarina. Other option is to keep going and head straight to Sottomarina and then do 2 days on the way back before our flight . Its just a lot of travelling of travelling with a 4 year old in toe if we head straight to Sottomarina.. Our flight is late on a Thursday so we should have plenty of time to get from Sottomarina to Treviso but we will be hauling bags around with us in Venice. At least if we do Venice at the end we can leave bags in hotel and walk around before we head out to Treviso

The stay at the end seems best option and hope our 4 year old does not take to many tantrums and gets some sleep somewhere on long trip

So we have to get boat from P.le Roma B to Santa Maria Elisabetta then get bus to Pellestrina Cimitero then boat to Chioggia Piazzetta Vigo and then onto hotel in Sottomarina so lot of travel for one day.

So if there are any other suggestions as to better ways or anything else that may assist us we are all Ears

Cheers
funkyirishman is offline  
Old May 31st, 2022, 05:16 AM
  #11  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh, now I see your dilemma. Trevino airport is quite a slog to Sottomarina, except by car. I would probably bite the bullet and hire a taxi to go straight to Sottomarina. Very expensive, but when all is added up, IMHO, worth it.
Sassafrass is offline  
Old May 31st, 2022, 06:30 AM
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
Oh, now I see your dilemma. Trevino airport is quite a slog to Sottomarina, except by car. I would probably bite the bullet and hire a taxi to go straight to Sottomarina. Very expensive, but when all is added up, IMHO, worth it.
Yes in our younger days and kid less it would be no problem but just want to make it less hassle for us all as first trip back to Italy in a while

Was googling looking for taxi firms and need to check ones from Treviso but can anyone recommend any so that we can email them for price
funkyirishman is offline  
Old Jun 1st, 2022, 11:19 PM
  #13  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok just checking Rome2Rio and there are 2 buses that go direct from Treviso to Sottomarina

So bus to Padova and then onwards to Sottomarina from Padova Autostazione. One route with Mobilità di Marca bus company and second with BusItalia

Just wondering what are the buses usually like in Italy is is the same as back home you wait for one and then 3 turn up

Its a 3 hour round trip but just saves us from heading into Venice and getting more than one bus or boat this is much better option travelling with Toddler
funkyirishman is offline  
Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 02:02 AM
  #14  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Venice-...ina#r/Taxi/s/0
Sassafrass is offline  
Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 06:37 AM
  #15  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its way more expensive to take a tax nearly €100 each and that's not including the toddler we don't want to use their savings

Bus seems best option just wondering how good they are
funkyirishman is offline  
Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 07:00 AM
  #16  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 11,029
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thought the price of the taxi was the total, not per person.
Sassafrass is offline  
Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 07:05 AM
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,340
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Buses are normally good in Italy (pre covid) and not like they are in the UK. But don't expect bus stops with illuminated signs indicating exactly where the bus is (say like DART). Obviously be aware of space and pick pockets on buses, but not extremely likely here.
bilboburgler is online now  
Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 07:12 AM
  #18  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sassafrass View Post
I thought the price of the taxi was the total, not per person.
Yeah some I have emailed have come back with cost close to €200 which is about €100 each may try others

Originally Posted by bilboburgler View Post
Buses are normally good in Italy (pre covid) and not like they are in the UK. But don't expect bus stops with illuminated signs indicating exactly where the bus is (say like DART). Obviously be aware of space and pick pockets on buses, but not extremely likely here.
Well hopefully not like my local bus with some unsavoury characters on board mainly upstairs or drunks on the bus(although sometimes thats me )

Yeah wonder if its going to be a friendly bus driver and can shout when we are at our stop think it might be last one. I just dont want to get to the airport and that route is no longer running. Emailed the companies so waiting for a reply from them
funkyirishman is offline  
Old Jun 2nd, 2022, 08:27 AM
  #19  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 22,340
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My experience is you just ask the whole bus to shout and they will, while having a todler with you will make you friends with every woman over 30
bilboburgler is online now  
Old Jun 6th, 2022, 12:06 PM
  #20  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 10
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes as Homer sang Baby on Board lets hope the little rascal gives us some leeway

Downloaded Bus Italia app and seems to be best option to go to Padova and change there so lets hope they are in the same stop. When heading to venice we have to go back there and then train straight there which is best option rather than getting bus and boats via the lido

Found hotels in Venice(near St lucia train station) and Sottomarina so all sorted there and looking forward to going back to Italy after nearly 3 year gap for the food and wine. With a brot of a toddler there will be plenty of Vino drunk

Thanks for everyones help and if there are any other tips let us know esp about going on a gondola is it a barter method and start low
funkyirishman is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information