Search

Venice transport from Marco Polo airport

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7th, 2024, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Venice transport from Marco Polo airport

Hi everyone,

My husband and i are older travelers--energetic but not the spry peeps we were some years ago. We are going on an anniversary/work for me trip to Venice at the end of April and get into Marco Polo at 9am , i.e. sleepy. I want to take a relaxing, fun, and not complicated trip to our fab hotel (American Denisen). I know we can't do a check in til later in the day but maybe a little early and at least there's a lobby and people to keep our luggage and we can explore Dosoduro a bit, eat something before we crash in our room.

I am not keen at that hour of the morning after a plane ride of a lot of walking with our luggage and backpacks. Hopefully carry-on luggage but my husband is threatening to check a bag.

I am willing to pay for a private water taxi (the hotel will make a reservations for us) --it's pricey--$140 euros. I am wondering if it is
1) worth it --i.e. coming into Venice just the two of us sounds kind of romantic and sweet, even after a plane ride sounds
2) worth the risk of rain (I mean it's covered, but still...)
3) not worth it and you recommend something else.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Warmly,
Jean

Old Apr 7th, 2024, 07:30 PM

If it is worth it to you, then it is worth it. In searching your Hotel's website, it seems as if you would have the option for a water taxi to drop you off right at their door, making your luggage to be inconsequential whether you decide to do carry-on only or check your bag(s).

Your other options would be to take the ATVO bus from the airport to Piazalle Roma and from there the vaporetto. Cheaper, but you would have to navigate two different types of public transport, plus other travelers and maybe a crowded boat. Choose what best works for you in this situation.

I don't know how to solve your conundrum of what to do between your arrival (you say in morning - how early?) and check in. One thing you could always alert your hotel of your time of arrival, that way they might be able to potentially provide an earlier check in if you request it (no guarantee, but never hurts to ask).

I would think that the hotel would allow you to store your bags and check in later. Personally, I find it helps to get outside as much as possible upon arrival to help with the vitamin D and jet lag. You could always just take it easy and wander, find a nice cafe or bar or even have lunch, before your check in time.

Edit to add: is Venice your only stop on this trip? If you are going onto more destinations, you may want to consider limiting the luggage regardless if you water taxi or not.
Old Apr 7th, 2024, 08:48 PM

We’ve used the public boat transport from the airport into Venice several times but on our last trip in 2022 we did the private water taxi. We loved it! We were traveling with my sisters and BIL on their first trip to Italy and the joy on their faces as we rode across the water was priceless. If it’s not straining the budget, go for it! And as Travel Nerd points out, your hotel has a dock which makes it even more convenient.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 03:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both, Travel Nerd and Tracilee. I think it is worth it to me to not be navigating with luggage (even pulling it) at that hour of the day with crowds. Venice 6 nights, Urbino 1 night (trans/hotel paid for), near Marco Polo airport 1 night (need to make hotel reservation)

If anyone else has an opinion, let me know.

Old Apr 8th, 2024, 03:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you can afford it, then the breeze and any water spray may help you wake up. The schlep by bus and vap is a bit of a pain. Try to convince hubby to travel light, we have washing machines in Europe.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 04:38 AM

You're getting good thoughts here.

Generally you'd be wanting to limit how much luggage you take to your hotel at Venice but (as per previous comment) if you're doing other cities as well then there's not much you can do about that other than store your luggage somewhere (there are options) and then bring one smaller bag each.

But ignoring that thought and dealing with the question at hand...;

Last week we were in Venice and we did a water taxi just for the fun of it. I hope, although its a different scenario, that it still could help your thinking process because one way to think about the water taxi is just as a one way taxi service - the other way is to think about it as a tour with a different start and end destination - which is how we used it.

Personally I think its a lot of money if you think about it from the perspective that most of what you'll see on the way to your hotel will be what you'll see on the waterbusses. For example the number 2 waterbus takes you to within a pretty close walk of your hotel - you could buy a day pass for EUD25 each (or maybe a 2 day pass for EUD35), get the water bus to either the Zatere or the Academia stop (go the long way round which ever you decide to do it) and then drop off your bags at the hotel (they will store them for you until check in time) then do some more water based sight seeing on the water bus system. Doing this plan will get you all around the outside of Venice and all through the grand canal and as much as you want too. The problem is (1) carrying your suitcases on the waterbus and (2) walking from the stop to your hotel. I will address those 2 problems;
1) from VERY LIMITED EXPERIENCE) at that time of day you might be going against the flow of peak traffic and so carrying your bags on the watebus might be ok - we did it on a rainy day and it was a busy time of day and honestly it wasn't too bad.
2) for EUD50 you can get a water taxi from the dock that you get off the waterbus to your hotel (50 is the minimum charge) So for a total of 50 plus the day or 2 day pass cost you'll save some money PLUS see all of the outside of venice and the grand canal.

Now to add some info: Its POSSIBLE to get the taxi driver to give you a slightly MORE scenic trip to your hotel rather than the most direct route. In other words, there's technically time to do so as I think from memory 140 should get you 30 minutes of drive time. most of where he'll take you will be covered by the waterbus and for the parts that aren't you can also do a gondola (for some of the parts).

We did it all
We paid 140EU for the taxi
we did 2 days of water busses
we did a 120EU gondola (technically the gondola is a per boat fee at either 90 or 120 and the price is shared between up to 5 passengers so you can either do it as a couple or see if others will join you and share the cost with them.

Is it worth it? probably not but we enjoyed it. It might not be a question of is it worth it. It might be a question of you're only here once so just do it cos you won't find that same experience anywhere else so just forget about the cost and do it. Or it might be a question of there are much much cheaper and smarter ways to get the same results. or it might be a question of the water taxi is your own private experience - no one in your way of your photos and your memories.

When on the water taxi you have the choice to stay in the covered area (should it rain) or stand out in the open area. So that also increases the attractiveness of it.

One last thought: I don't think you need to worry about "booking' it in advance. water taxis are in abundance and you can just wait for one upon arrival.

Old Apr 8th, 2024, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

So many good thoughts, it's true. Thank you all!

The appeal of the private water taxi that I book ahead (via the hotel) for 140 euros is that the hotel tells them when we get in and then they arrange a pick up. So if the plane is late, they know.

Hubby is not as keen as I am (but alas, he doesn't like to spend money --) so I am hoping weather will cooperate. Still it should be FUN!

Now, to turn my attention to restaurants and a few other things.
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 01:02 PM
mjs

We were last in Venice 4 years ago and the water taxi was something like 70 or maybe 90 Euros. Was definitely not over 100. Quite a price hike
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 03:46 PM

Here is the link we used to book a private water taxi from the airport to our hotel. I believe there also is the possibility of a shared water taxi... There's nothing like entering the city via a water taxi... those drivers -- sailors? -- have too much fun!

https://www.venicelink.com/en/products/watertaxi
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 04:43 PM

We did water taxi on our last Venice visit a few years ago and it wasn't, IIRC, nearly that price. Have a look at Trophywife's link for better pricing.
That said, even if the price has gone up, if it works into your budget, do it!
Old Apr 8th, 2024, 10:34 PM
mjs

Are you sure the price for the water taxi is for one way? Could it be roundtrip?
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 12:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You will find that you can either take the water taxi as a couple or "pool" with other people waiting at the desk. Obviously the price is less per person if you pool.
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 06:13 AM

I can’t remember how much we paid in 2022 but it wasn’t more than $125. We didn’t reserve ahead, simply walked to the taxi area and got right on. Perhaps you are paying a premium for reserving ahead?
Old Apr 9th, 2024, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by mjs
Are you sure the price for the water taxi is for one way? Could it be roundtrip?
they don't do round trips.

And as a general comment it's exactly like a taxi with published fares and you can even run the meter if you want.

We planned ahead for a known 30 minutes at a known cost of 140 so no meter was used but the driver gave us an extra 10 minutes at no extra charge

And I realise that the OP likes the idea of booking ahead but it's really not necessary. There are heaps and heaps of taxis, they're just waiting around so worst case scenario you'll wait 5 or 10 minutes for a ride but I'd be shocked if you needed to at that hour of the day.

That said, you don't have to answer to anyone for your decisions so you do you. But I just wonder if you'll get the full 30 minute experience or not. If so then my comments really are useless