Update to insurance refund

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2020, 01:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope everyone is well, and for Aussies here, I hope you aren’t to despondent about when we will be able to travel again. Today we received a partial refund from our unexpected return to Australia in March. We had top cover, and cancel for any reason. Of course we dint have cover for a pandemic.
The one way airfares from Paris to Sydney was over €4,000 and close to Aussie $9.000. As a one off, the company has refunded us $3,100. Better than nothing.
keep safe and happy
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 02:16 AM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Oh, Cheska, that’s still quite a loss.

I remember when my parents were caught up in Tiananmen Square protests and their insurance fully covered the change of routing and new flights and some other policy holders found theirs termed it differently (civil unrest or something) in order to deny any insurance cover. You don’t know until you claim.

Old Jun 29th, 2020, 04:06 AM

Cheska, I hope you'll consider that refund as the down payment on your next trip. You do have a plan for next time, right? Most likely you two will get back to France before we will and your trip report will be my consolation. In the meantime, stay healthy and happy.
Old Jun 29th, 2020, 05:10 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Adelaidean
Oh, Cheska, that’s still quite a loss.

I remember when my parents were caught up in Tiananmen Square protests and their insurance fully covered the change of routing and new flights and some other policy holders found theirs termed it differently (civil unrest or something) in order to deny any insurance cover. You don’t know until you claim.
That is interesting. My cousins were also and picked up bullet casings as they said no one would believe what they witnessed.

I think the money we lost on this is nothing compares to others. Still waiting for refunds but for the vouchers we received, I might mail to my friends in London to use. We don't see any light at the end of this dark tunnel. Fl is a mess.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 12:55 PM
J62

Good news that you got mostly reimbursed.

I just completed an exhausting 6mo process with a travel insurance co to cover a medical emergency & associated travel for a family member who fell ill on a cruise. Thankfully they are doing well. In the end the travel insurance co paid out what was due so out of pocket expenses were relatively minor, but the travel insurance co sure didn't make it easy. I think they want you to just give up and walk away.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 01:33 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I think we need a thread devoted entirely to insurance companies & our experiences with each.
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 04:42 PM
J62

Originally Posted by MmePerdu
I think we need a thread devoted entirely to insurance companies & our experiences with each.
I could write a book, or at least an entire chapter...
Old Jun 30th, 2020, 09:12 PM
Original Poster

They certainly did make it complex to apply. Luckily we keep everything, so it made it easier to make the claim.
J62 it would be more stressful making a claim for illness. Hope the family member is well and truly on the mend.

Coqueilot it certainly is for the next trip. Aussie international Borders are still closed and will remain until September 17, and it is expected that they will remain closed until the end of 2020. Qantas are saying they expect international travel to begin in July 2021.
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 07:34 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Well, you know that Australians are welcome in the EU as of today. Unfortunately, I don't think there has been a direct link between Australia and France since the disappearance of UTA.
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Hope everyone is well and coping during the difficult time.

We have some positive news regarding our refund from Singapore Airlines. As we booked and paid for our tickets in 2018, there were a lot of conversations with the company as to our flights being covered by the covoid policy. We were lucky in the last week to get a person who went thru every email we had sent the airline since September 2018.
The airline advised us on Thursday that we would receive a $4,000 refund for the return leg Paris to Sydney ( premium economy) . Really happy with that result, and will definitely go towards the next trip.
PS International Borders tipped to open on January 1
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 05:48 PM

Received 19 Likes on 4 Posts
Great news, Cheska!

I still haven’t received my refund from Qatar....
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 06:51 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to hear that. Singapore Air had not responded to us since May. I then posted on their FB page and it was all done and dusted in two days. Perhaps you might try that avenue
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 08:13 PM

cheska, good news! You two deserve to be the first to go back to France. Will you just pick up your trip where it was interrupted?
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 09:11 PM
Original Poster

Coquelicot we will pick up some of it as we will go for three months. We didn’t plan to go to Provence, however the little we saw of it we loved it. So the plan will be 1week in Loire Valley, 6 weeks in Provence, and 3 weeks in Northern France. A must do for us is the Australian Remberance trail. We will use the full 90 days at this stage. Things change though.

Sadly we have not been able to get back in our house yet, due to the legalities of renting, and it has been really tough renting a 30sq m studio around the corner. Hopefully we should be in our house in two weeks. At the moment the thought of leaving our house again is too hard, and maybe by 2022 we will think yes let’s go for six months.
Old Aug 1st, 2020, 11:04 PM

Great news cheska, hopefully you’ll get to go back to France in the not too distant future. I was just telling DH a couple of days back we needed to spend a couple of months in Provence. Maybe a month in Sarrians near Carpentras, we spent a fortnight there in 2018 and vowed to return. And another near Uzès, with a third month in the Languedoc maybe. My dream vacation, fingers crossed it comes to pass...
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 10:40 PM

cheska15, I'm so happy for you that you managed to recoup some of your expenses. It's never nice to be out of pocket, on top of having to cut a holiday short. Where did you hear that Australia's international borders may open on 1st January? I certainly hope that's not the case if vaccines are not readily and widely available. We're in Melbourne and have hardly left the house since early March. Although I would LOVE to be able to travel (anywhere outside of my suburb, quite frankly), I don't want it all to be for nothing if they open the borders prematurely. I'm sure there will be pressure to do so though.
Old Aug 4th, 2020, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

dreamon thanks for your kind words. It is terrible what you are going thru at the moment and I would like you to know we are thinking about you all, and really hope that the numbers go down soon.
Josh Frydenberg said a few weeks ago that he hoped for a January 1 opening of the international borders. However, that was before the situation deteriorated in Melb. Probably won’t happen now I expect. I’m not in a hurry for the international borders to open either. I honestly can’t see us travelling until 2022. Meanwhile I am going to redo my garden including some ideas I have picked up in France. I have just watched Monty Don’s French garden series, and loved it. Sadly I can’t buy the whole street to have my own Versailles.
Keep Healthy and Happy.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 12:43 AM

Thanks for the good wishes, cheska15. I too am thinking 2022 (hopefully!) and would love to go for as long as possible.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 01:40 AM

That is good news Cheska. I was wondering if you were back in your house. We are apparently in the queue for a refund of our airfares from Lufthansa. So we will see. We are travelling in western Queensland in our camper trailer at the moment . 30 degrees today and lovely. Saw some stunning scenery today so not all bad. Just do not know when we will get to see our children and grandchildren in Canberra and Sydney. And as for seeing France again. Hopefully 2022. We are not getting any younger.
Thinking of you in Victoria, Dreamon.
Old Aug 5th, 2020, 12:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We have received two apologies for the delay in receiving our refunds from Iceland Air, round trip, DEN to KEF, Saga Class. Getting impatient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -