UK trip coming up soon

Old Aug 12th, 2022, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK trip coming up soon

Hi Fodorites,

I’m late to do some of my planning, but wanted to ask about where to stay for one night on our UK trip. Any other comments or suggestions welcome.

Here is our itinerary:

Sept 9. Fly out from Indianapolis
Sept 10 arrive Edinburgh via Heathrow. two nights in Edinburgh
Sept 12 train to Gleneagles where friend will pick us up. Stay three nights in Comrie, Perth with friend
Sept 15 train back to Edinburgh, pick up car at airport. Drive to Bamburgh. Two nights Bamburgh.
Sept 17. Here’s where I need a recommendation. Had planned to stay at Holly Bush Inn, but I guess I didn’t make reservations as I thought. Where is good one night stay, between Bamburgh and York? Liked the idea of Holly Bush Inn, but they are full and B&B a mile out from them is also full.
Sept 18. Drive to York. Three nights in York.
Sept 21, drop car in York, train to London
Sept 21,22,23. London. Fly out 24th to US.

This may seem strange itinerary, but we originally had not planned to go to Scotland. I’m visiting a friend I haven’t seen in 45 years and I had to track her down. She is English and last contact with her she still lived in North Yorkshire. When I finally found her again it turns out she had moved to Scotland. So we are only going to Scotland to visit her.

we are in our early 60s, my husband has never been to the UK and I was there 46 years ago. I still have a journal I wrote in 1976 so it’s very interesting planning this trip and reading that journal.

All reservations For lodging and the car are made other than the accommodations for the 17th.

Unfortunately, I have not made any reservations for any sightseeing or meals yet. That’s what I’m working on next.No train tickets purchased yet either.

thanks for your help!
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 12:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"Sept 17. Here’s where I need a recommendation. Had planned to stay at Holly Bush Inn, but I guess I didn’t make reservations as I thought. Where is good one night stay, between Bamburgh and York? Liked the idea of Holly Bush Inn, but they are full and B&B a mile out from them is also full."

Where is this Holly Bush Inn? The only one I know of is just outside of Derby and definitely not en route Bamburgh > York.

But where to stop between the two, there are lots of options depending on what you want to see/do -- along Hadrian's Wall, In Durham, Richmond, Whitby, the northern Dales. For sort of mid way -- Durham or Hexham would be good.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 12:25 PM

I may be way off base here, but would rethink spending three nights with a new/old friend. What if intervening years have changed either you or her to the point, well, where there’s not much point. Make it two nights…

You might well wish you had an extra night in Edinburgh or London?
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

Janis

It’s actually in Northumberland National Park, near Hexham or Kielder.

Old Aug 12th, 2022, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Cindywho
Janis

It’s actually in Northumberland National Park, near Hexham or Kielder.

Oh -- that makes more sense Found it . . . That Holly Bush is only 50-ish miles from Bamburgh. Its maybe 20 miles north of Hexham. If you want to explore Hadrian's Wall then Hexham or Corbridge would be good. - The George Hotel is less than half a mile from Chesters Roman Fort which is one of the best sites along the Wall.

Or -- if you want too see Durham Cathedral etc -- anywhere close to Durham would be good (if in the city itself be sure to check parking availability)
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

The George Hotel is a real possibility - I will look at Corbridge also.

thank you.

Nyse- no chance. I have been looking forward to this for years. We met each other in Châlonnais-Sur-Saône France in 1975. Both of us of staying with families on summer exchange programs.

Each of the following two summers we spent 4 weeks together - I stayed with her family for four weeks in 1976 and she stayed with my family in Indiana for four weeks in 1977. We corresponded until around 1990. Sometimes you get to know someone is an intimate way and there is no way she has changed so much that I don’t want to spend three nights at her home. Her and her husband are taking us to St Andrews and some other places. If you are right, I can suck it up for a few nights. But I do appreciate the thought because it will help me be realistic.
Old Aug 12th, 2022, 08:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
You say you've already booked the car rental for pickup at EDI... If your friends are leaving you at the Gleneagles/Auchterarder station, you could train 20 minutes to Stirling and pick up the car there. Europcar has a "Meet & Greet" office at the Stirling train station. Then you could drive directly to Bamburgh without going into Edinburgh and then to the airport.
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Jean, very interesting. I’ll see if I can make a change on the reservation. That would save us some precious time.

Old Aug 13th, 2022, 08:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Can i suggest that for researching northern England you have a look at MaiTaiTom's recent TR? Loads of great info about staying, eating, sightseeing and very entertaining too. Just search for his name and you'll easily spot his TR.

Ed: Found it for you.

Surviving Mai Tai Tom's "Royal" Blunder - England/Scotland 2022
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

Annhig, thank you! I have been following along with his report! Extremely helpful to us!

Where do you live in England?
Old Aug 13th, 2022, 03:02 PM

I live in Cornwall, Cindywho.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 11:21 AM

Cindy, I was also gonna suggest MaiTaiTom's recent TR--Ann helpfully linked it first.
Btw, we too met an old schoolmate on our recent Brit trip. That person and I had never been close during high school, but mutual pals here in Toronto had stayed in touch with her over the decades and had agreed to provide the contact info. She lives in Broadway and we were renting in nearby Chipping Campden (don't you know---editor). NYSE raises the reasonable query about length of stay with pals. We've had such stays work in some cases and not so much in others. I wish you Good Luck. throughout, or at least better than I once had in York. Was supposed to rendezvous there with my dad's best friend and his fiance, only to have them give up waiting for me @Tourist Office after my train was a mere 20 minutes late.

York=scones n' strawb jam and a bottle of fresh, whole milk.
I am done. the coming soon
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 10:21 PM

Zebec - undoubtedly their loss not yours.
Old Aug 21st, 2022, 02:04 PM

Durham is very popular and it's not that big so you easily see everything. The County hotel is nice in the centre or the Ramside Hotel is on the outskirts with a park and ride scheme opposite. If you are rich there is Seaham Hall at Seaham on the coast. This was formerly the home of Lord byron the
poet and is now a luxury spa hotel. I was in York last week. Accommodation tends to be very overpriced but it's a lovely place with lots of lovely tea rooms.
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Hello, with the news of Queen Elizabeth's passing I am wondering if our plan to spend Sept 21 through Sept 24 in London should be adjusted. Does anyone have any insight? Will London sights and roads be shut down? Will it be overrun with those who want to pay tribute to her? Should we stay somewhere else those three final nights of our trip?

I know that nothing is certain as of now, but asking the questions anyway.

Thank you!
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 03:24 PM

The date if the State Funeral hasn't been set yet -- but the mourning period and lying in state will be before the funeral. After lying state at Westminster Hall for 4 days, the services will be at the Abbey, followed by transport through London and out to Windsor for interment. Reports are that the earliest date the funeral could be held is Sept 19. AFAIK nothing should be shut after the funeral - except for Buckingham Palace AND Windsor of course.
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 03:28 PM

. . . the final plans will likely be published in the next 24 hours so no need to make any decisions yet
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 03:38 PM

Just read in the Times "The government will confirm the length of national mourning, which is likely to be about 12 to 13 days, from now up to the day after the Queen’s funeral." and they are listing the funeral date as being the 19th but two other sources (Telegraph and Sky News) say that isn't totally firm yet.

But it does sound like Sept 21-24 should be OK.
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 03:48 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Operation Unicorn comes first - lying in state at Holyrood then a procession up the Royal Mile to St. Giles for a service, THEN to London for the rest of the events.
Old Sep 8th, 2022, 04:02 PM

The events Gardyloo mentions are figured into the estimate of the 19th being the first (and now sounds likely) date of the State Funeral.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -