Search

Two-Week Italy Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9th, 2024, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two-Week Italy Itinerary

Hello all,

Looking for advice on the following itinerary for two weeks in the spring. ChatGPT contributed to parts of it, so I'm eager for human feedback!

We are young (30s), interested in food, wine, culture, history, etc. I've been to Italy twice; my husband has never been. He wants to see St. Peter's — plus Rome is the best return flight option — which is why we're squeezing in those two nights at the end. I know it's not enough
Day 1: Arrive Milan; train to Turin
Day 2: Explore Turin; pick up rental car in early afternoon and drive to La Morra as a base for next three nights
Day 3: Explore Barolo / La Morra
Day 4: Explore Alba / Barbaresco
Day 5: Explore Asti
Day 6: Either drive to Bologna and return car OR return car to Turin and take train to Bologna
Day 7: Bologna (food tour for most of the day)
Day 8: Train to Florence
Day 9: Florence
Day 10: Florence
Day 11: Train to Rome
Day 12: Rome
Day 13: Fly from Rome
Questions:
  • I fear we're shortchanging Turin itself, but as winelovers we're eager to get out to the wineries. Should we drop one of days 3-5 and spend that day in Turin instead?
  • Any opinions on driving or training to Bologna? I've read comments about driving difficulty in Bologna due to ZTL — how big of a challenge is this?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by emc0011; Jan 9th, 2024 at 07:23 PM.
Old Jan 9th, 2024, 07:23 PM

It'll be faster and cheaper to take the train. ZTLs the trick is have a destination outside the ZTL. Either to park or turn in the car. You're supposed to know the rules of the road including all the signs. But to avoid the risk of accidentally crossing one don't go near one.

You only really have 1.5 days in Rome at best. Last day you fly out. The first one even with an early train from Florence is going to cost you half a day. I'd think hard about those three days you've got for Bologna. That's a lot for one single day visiting the city. Might be better to skip something. Some where.

Old Jan 9th, 2024, 10:24 PM

I agree with Traveler_Nick, that's a long way and lots of time to go to Bologna for such a short time and basically only for a food tour, even though Bologna is a food destination. Skip that and add that time to Rome, especially since your husband hasn't been there. There is so much there in addition to the Vatican, and you will find all of your objectives there!
Old Jan 10th, 2024, 01:02 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
As wine lovers you might find the areas of Tuscany or all the wine zones based on Valpolicella (basically between Venice and Verona and then down into the Po valley) more interesting than say Asti. Though Barola is certainly worth a bit of a visit. I'd recommend asking your wine merchant for a letter of introduction to some of the finer Barola vinyards especially if you set your heart on one in particular.