Turkey/Greece or Switzerland in mid August? Please read

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2022, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on traveling next month. I’m not sure if I should spend 3 weeks doing Switzerland (and maybe another country like Greece) or spend the 3 weeks in Turkey.

Any pros and cons I should weigh? I have a very healthy budget so money isn’t a concern. If I did Turkey I would probably do an Intrepid 2 week tour + Istanbul for 1 week, and if I did Switzerland I would plan it myself! Another idea is to not do the organized tour and combine Greece and Turkey.

The reason why Turkey sounds nice is because since it's a tour the 2 weeks of the trip would be all planned for me and it's a trip for 18-29 year olds so I can meet other travelers. But Switzerland looks so beautiful that I'm not really sure. If I did Switzerland I would plan it on my own but would have more flexiblity and could add in Neuschwanstein castle in southern Germany too.

I'm just asking you guys since I was told by my friend you guys would be knowledgable.

If you're interested in what the tour in Turkey is, lookup "Intrepid Real Turkey"
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 07:21 AM

Europe has been hit by terrible heat waves and forest fires. Check on current conditions and decide if you would be comfortable in extreme heat. There is no reason to think that next month would be better. Switzerland should be cooler than Greece and Turkey. Postpone the trip to October or April/May of next year and I would recommend Turkey.
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Gotcha, I don't want to postpone the trip, so I think I'll just do Switzerland then since heat waves are a big issue. Then when I travel again early next year I will do Turkey. Thank you for the advice!
Old Jul 16th, 2022, 08:10 AM

Good advice from Michael. Have a great trip.
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 11:51 AM

Hi. We just got back from 3 weeks in Turkey with our teens, 18 and 20. We used a wonderful trip planner and we really enjoyed our time. 5 nights Istanbul, 3 nights Capadoccia, 11 nights Kalkan on the Turquoise Coast, adn final night in Istanbul airport. All 3 destinations very different. We had a private guide every day for Istanbul and a private guide and driver in Capadocia. One day we took a gulet to Greece for the day from Kas while in Kalkan. Chartered a few private gulets too. Had a wonderful time.
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 03:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I am wondering why Turkey & Greece & Switerland keep coming up all of a sudden. Where is this coming from? Is it some social media, Insta- thing? Or a vblog? Not just here but over on Trip Advisor too suddenly a bunch of newbie posters are all asking about these specific countries together. Just curious why and where it is coming from?
Old Jul 19th, 2022, 06:40 PM

Don't let the heat deter you. Sounds like you'd have a great time with people in your age range.

The Alps are nice combined with something else, the history is just not that interesting for 3 weeks.