Tropea or Sardinia?

Old Aug 28th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tropea or Sardinia?

Has anyone been to both? We want to spend about week in a beautiful beach area after spending 8 days or so In Rome/Amalfi. The beach week will be the first week of June. The beaches on Sardinia (north/east) look beautiful, but now I have discovered Tropea and the beaches also look beautiful there, and the town/architecture looks stunning.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 10:39 AM

There’s a reason why many of Europe’s billionaires drop anchor in Cala Di Volpe - the best beaches in Europe. It’s a stunning area which can be combined with day trips to Corsica and La Maddalena islands.

I haven’t been to Tropea just NE Sardinia six times and some of the best beaches in the Caribbean. Sardinia isn’t The Turks and Caicos but it’s as good as Europe gets.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 11:23 AM

I have been to both Tropea and Sardinia. But was on the western side of Sardinia and not looking for beaches! The best beaches are on the north eastern side. The main beach at Tropea is quite small, though there are several others nearby. Again, I wasn't there for the beach. The town is charming, was quite busy in June, mainly Italian tourists. I think it might boil down to which is easier for you to get to.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you both. Once concern I have about either place is water temps the first week of June? They look slightly warmer in Tropea but chilly in both. It looks like a train from Amalfi can be 3.5 to 6 hours while a flight to Sardinia from Naples is about an hour (but probably still at least 3-4 hours for the whole process).
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 02:20 PM

Temperature in Tropea was in the high 20s/low 30s when I was there mid-June this year. Perfect! No wind. Lots of people swimming. Very comfortable eating/drinking outside in the evening.
Old Aug 28th, 2022, 04:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's hard to beat the Sardinian beaches, esp. on the archipelago of islands off NE Sardinia... La Maddalena, Caprera, Santo Stefano, etc. I prefer less developed beach areas, and these islands would be a definite contrast to the Amalfi Coast. Absolutely stunning coastlines/beaches.

If you don't need the city atmosphere, look also at the Pontine Islands off the coast between Anzio and Naples. Ischia, Ventotene, Ponza, etc. Ventotene has Roman ruins and gets a lot of migrating birds. Ponza is bigger. Ischia gets the most visitors which translates to lots of lodging options. The only problem could be frequency of ferry service to the farther out islands at that time of year.
Old Sep 1st, 2022, 09:31 AM

Check the beaches around Villasmius (Cormoran Hotel, etc.). The water there is usually warmer.
If it must not be the Tirrenian Sea, you may also have a look at Vieste and stunning Baia delle Zagare.