Trip report. Greece 2016

Old Feb 19th, 2022, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trip report. Greece 2016

Greece late summer 2016Posting a trip that my husband and I took to Greece in 2016. Long time coming! I usually keep a little journal so my memories are clearer but apparently not this time so whatever I post is from photos, receipts and whatever is left in my head! Hope anyone traveling might find some of this useful. I see that MFNYC is taking a trip this coming September. I received good advice for this trip and many others on the European forums here.

A few photos from Athens and the Acropolis museum.

We left from NYC on 8/29/2016 for overnight flight to Athens. We did stay overnight in Athens so we could leave early the next morning to Naxos. We had originally thought to take high speed ferry to Naxos but were discouraged by many due to a rough ride in the water. I so easily get seasick. We ended up taking the plane; it turned out to be the best idea and relatively inexpensive. The flight took about 40 minutes. It was the smallest plane I’ve ever been on, a propeller plane. We were flying so low I could see the waves in the water below. We barely got up, the 1 stewardess gave out some nuts, a soda , collected garbage and we were there! We had arranged a rental car for the 3 nights and days we would be there and someone from the rental company met us at the airport with the car. The airport is very close to Naxos town.

Our little automatic- 96 Euros for 3 days at that time. I priced something similar now - 120 Euros

We stayed in Hotel Xenia, which was very central and near the water. Small rooms but clean and nice. At the time it seemed like a boutique hotel but I looked it up now and it has mixed reviews.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Some of my sources of info. I like to looks at restaurants and hotels on TripAdvisor. For Greece, I used this website
https://www.greecetravel.com/. Matt Barrett does an entire site on Greece and islands. My husband and I have been traveling for years. We are budget conscious. Hotels have to clean but not fancy. We usually rent a car because we like to go off the beaten path and tour on our own. After our first trip to Italy in 1997 with a tour group, we found we were much more capable of doing our own thing despite the language barriers. My parents are from Germany and Slovenia and my husband is from Greece. I speak German and my husbands speaks some Spanish. As a conscientious and polite traveler, I try to learn some everyday pleasantries and phrases in whatever country I’ll be in. Unfortunately, French has always been difficult for me but I have a very good accent, talk through my nose and I can roll my rrrrs! I even went to Germany by myself at the age of 15 to visit family. Granted, the family took me around but I also ventured out on my own into the local city.

Our honeymoon, long, long ago (1978), had us traveling from Germany to Greece by car, through Austria and Yugoslavia
(remember that country!) and to Greece to see family. We eventually went by ferry to Italy, through Austria and back to fly home from Germany. We were gone for 4 weeks. That was quite a trip with so many many memories, many quite funny!

Since then we have been to Italy twice, France 5 times, London, Dublin, Spain, Germany, Amsterdam, Belgium, Prague and surrounds. Possibly more, can’t remember! As well as many trips in the US.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

I remember reading somewhere that Naxos is not a popular island for Americans. The Europeans are more familiar with it. I did not want to go to Mykonos; is sounded too crowded and too much partying for me and what I had read about Naxos indicated that it was a very green island, with beaches, mountains and little villages.

With our map from the rental company, we took to the road the next day in Naxos.

they had circled different towns and village to visit. I know we definitely went to Halkio (also spelled Chalkio), Filoti and Apeiranthos. I don’t remember if we continued north and then east back to Naxos town or backtracked to Halkio and then north and east. I do remember driving through Galini though. We met this guy when we took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up at a construction site!

some pictures from our drive. On our way to Halkio. We took a little secluded walk to this Byzantine church in or just outside of Halkio, through olive groves and an ancient Olive tree. Unfortunately the church was closed. This is the church Panagia Damiotissa. I noted today on the google map there is another , larger church nearby called Church of Panagia Drosiani, in case anyone is interested, we did not go there.

Next we drove to Apeiranthos.

Is that a Lion representing Venice?

sorry I didn’t buy a painting from here. I had my eye on the olive tree. New policy: I now buy what I see, within reason, since I’m not getting any younger and I can’t take my money with me!!!
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 01:01 PM

Where did you rent the Naxos car from? I used Kayak to see what's available. Prices for my dates, are about double yours! I definitely want to rent a car there in any case. Maybe not the entire time, but for a day or 2. I have plenty of time, so I'll keep checking. No urgency yet,

As far as artwork, I always try to buy some piece of artwork, and usually some miscellaneous ceramic plate/bowl/vase that reminds me of the location.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Look up Auto Tour rent a car. Down near the port in town. We usually get the least expensive automatic models. We found the car useful to go to some of the beaches.
I usually buy a Christmas ornament as a souvenir. 😄
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Beach day. I found the beaches lovely but the one disappointment was that the water was ice cold! I just assumed that after the heat of the summer the water would be comfortable in early September. I have been to Aruba many times and I guess I expected something like there. We went to beach Agios Prokopios.

a walk around town is always nice. I enjoyed the architecture.

I honestly can’t remember much about restaurants at this point but do remember the island is known for their fried cheese. We ate at a place called Scirocco Cafe, which was within walking distance of our hotel. I remember the cheese and that I was happy with the food. Sorry, that’s all that’s coming to mind.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Went to the beach again. This time Plaka beach. Unfortunately, the day was so cold and windy and the sand was blowing all over us!

walking toward the port to visit the Temple of Apollo ruins, which is connected by a narrow stone pathway to the town. As the tide came in, the water rushed over all the steps and stones. Loads of people scurrying over and around the ruins, just in time for a beautiful sunset!

It was really windy- be prepared!

Old Feb 21st, 2022, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Onward to Santorini. September 3 by ferry to Santorini for three nights. Can’t wait! The boat ride was pleasant. We did purchase tickets for an assigned plane type seat inside but we only stayed there briefly. The day was bright and sunny and the white villages were clinging to the spine of the island. Gorgeous views. We took a bus to our hotel in Firostefani. Based on reading and recommendations, we did not want to stay in crowded Thera or Oia. It was a good choice for us. The area was more intimate and quieter. There were several restaurants, grocery stores, cafes, ice cream.

We stayed in Smaro Studios, overlooking the caldera. Clean, nice breakfast with fruit and yogurt, our own little patio and a tiny little kitchen area. Great for making coffee in the morning. We had to walk down several small flights of stairs from the main walkway through the village.

Old Feb 21st, 2022, 11:12 AM

So pretty!
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 11:32 AM

Thanks for this! It brings back lots of memories of our trip in 2011! We also were in Naxos and loved it.

Looking forward to more!
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Next installment coming soon!!
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Walking from Firostefani to Fira. Gorgeous views from the path overlooking the caldera. You can’t take a bad picture in Santorini!!

Old Feb 21st, 2022, 03:46 PM

GReat photos, of both Naxos & Santorini. I recognize the exact place whre your husband was sitting on the wall, on the wlk from Firostephani into to.. right by my dear little Taverna Actaion. Oh my makes me nostalgic.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 05:00 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, Travelerjan.😌
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Outside our hotel and breakfast on our patio. Then off to Oia.

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 08:25 AM

Debbie, I love your Naxos image of the curving stone pier during the golden hour. The tones are beautiful. You two are pictured in the shot above, next to the (twin?) teen girls.
I was very surprised to read the the beach water was freezing cold, even in that season! Who knew?

I am done. The island.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Zebec, yes, that is us, two old farts on vacation!! One more day on Santorini. Then we go back to the mainland , Nafplio and central Greece to see family.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 11:52 AM

Enjoying your photos and report! We will be there in May. Hopefully, we won't experience the winds that you did. What was your itinerary: places and # of nights.
Ours is as follows: Santorini (3 nights), Naxos (4 nights), Nafplio (5 nights), and last but not least Athens (4 nights). I visited Greece in 1972 so a loooooong time ago, and my husband has never been there.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

We rented a car for the day and drove to Akratiri. The site was very interesting but I found the signage lacking and we did not have a guide. In fact, I don’t remember seeing anyone there to be a guide. It was not crowded.

Then we drove to one of the black sand beaches. I had never seen black sand before. The water was still cool, but warmer than on Naxos, maybe because the beach seemed to be protected by some small hills. The sand was hotter than hell! Be careful or you will burn your tootsies!
Tomorrow we will fly back to Athens.

Scenery from our drive on the island.

Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 07:45 PM

That's interesting that you didn't see any guides at Akrotiri. I've been told there are lots of guides waiting at the entrance. We plan on visiting Akrotiri when we are in Greece this May, and I hope we can hire a guide. That would make it so much more interesting.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -