Search

Traveling to London 2023

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to London 2023

Hello,
We are traveling to London in June of 2023 and are planning a couple of side trips. Any recommendations about a day trip to Southampton from Windsor? We will be in London proper 3-4 nights, then spending a night in Sandringham then a couple of nights in Newbury with London in-between. Traveling by train, bus and Uber. Any thoughts? Is a side trip to Southampton of any interest?
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What is in Southampton that you want to see? It's not a place that comes to mind when I think of day trips from London.
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 06:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to fodors.

You do seem to be jumping all over the place -- if you do decide on visiting Southampton -- it would be more convenient, faster (and without changing trains) traveling from London rather than from Windsor.

WHY Newbury? Unless you are staying with friends/relatives I suspect it is to visit Highclere Castle - there'd really be no other reason If so, one night should be sufficient.

The post is a bit confusing -- when you say "London in between'" Sandringham and Newbury, are you staying a few more nights in London . . . or just transiting through London to get to Newbury??

Please fill in some of the blanks - but if you do only have 3 or 4 total nights in London IMO you really don't have time for any day trips.
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 07:31 PM

Talk also is out there that Coronation may take place in June, so I'd make a commitment soon just in case.
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by janetkupfer8032
Talk also is out there that Coronation may take place in June, so I'd make a commitment soon just in case.
This is a very good point ~ two likely coronation dates I’ve seen mentioned are leading into the May 29 UK bank holiday and the June 2 anniversary of QEII’s own coronation.
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 06:29 AM

Originally Posted by janetkupfer8032
All that is confirmed is the date it seems like newspaper speculation. Nothing on the official website. https://www.royal.uk/ Going to Newbury and Southampton is not likely to fit any royal route would it?
I would personally suggest visiting Winchester rather than Southampton, if there is no special reason. Are not taxis better to use than UBER in the UK?
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 07:30 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Visiting Portsmouth makes sense, Southampton not so much
Old Oct 4th, 2022, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
Visiting Portsmouth makes sense, Southampton not so much
I was going to mention that too . . . but really, unless/until we hear back from AmyE822, not much point in offering other advice
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 06:44 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by janisj
Welcome to fodors.

You do seem to be jumping all over the place -- if you do decide on visiting Southampton -- it would be more convenient, faster (and without changing trains) traveling from London rather than from Windsor.

WHY Newbury? Unless you are staying with friends/relatives I suspect it is to visit Highclere Castle - there'd really be no other reason If so, one night should be sufficient.

The post is a bit confusing -- when you say "London in between'" Sandringham and Newbury, are you staying a few more nights in London . . . or just transiting through London to get to Newbury??

Please fill in some of the blanks - but if you do only have 3 or 4 total nights in London IMO you really don't have time for any day trips.
Thank you for your quick response. I think I posed my question before really doing enough research. We seem to have made our decisions and have booked a rather interesting trip around the coronation. My cousin and travel partner correctly guessed that King Charles III would want his coronation on the same day as his mother so we quickly booked our London dates hoping the request would be approved. That reminds to be seen, and if correct we have our London stay locked down. We are making 2 side trips, one to Sangringham and one out to see some castles near Newbury and Stonehenge west of London.

We Plan on using the Tube, Overland train and some Uber when necessary. Hopefully the strike situation will be resolved but when my cousin was there for the Queen's funeral, she was able to hire a driver for the day and able to get around easily. So we have that to fall back on. Any recommendations on transportation you have would be appreciated.
Thank you.

Old Oct 5th, 2022, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. We have booked near the coronation route and hoping for June 2nd. If not, we will otherwise enjoy London. We were concerned for rates being inflated once the announcement is made.
Old Oct 5th, 2022, 08:28 AM

Some random comments:

"My cousin and travel partner correctly guessed that King Charles III would want his coronation on the same day as his mother so we quickly booked our London dates hoping the request would be approved."

That is a reasonable assumption, but the date has not been announced.

"We Plan on using the Tube, Overland train and some Uber when necessary".

Please do not use uber in London. Their business practices have been pretty shady. Black Cabs are an institution and the drivers must pass very stringent qualifications sometimes taking years - not just some guy with a sat nav/GPS.

"
We are making 2 side trips, one to Sangringham and one out to see some castles near Newbury and Stonehenge west of London."

OK -- what has been set in stone? How long it the entire trip? Arrival and departure dates?

I'm still wondering about the Newbury bit. Which castles near Newbury?? It really isn't a 'destination' as such. If you are willing to rent a car for a couple of days you could stay one night somewhere nicer like say Salisbury, and easily visit the cathedral and Stonehenge the first day, then drive up to Highclere the next morning, visit the castle (be sure to book as soon as dates are open) then hit Windsor in the afternoon on the way back to drop the car at LHR. This could be done by public transport but less comveniently because there is no direct rail service between Salisbury and Newbury so it would involve two train changes and a taxi or bus at the Newbury end . . . You could either take the train to Salisbury and collect a rental car there or head out to LHR and pick up the car there. In either case drop the car off at LHR and take public transport or a pre-booked car service in to London.

No need to stay in or near Sandringham -- It is an easy day trip from London. Frequent rail service from Kings Cross to King's Lynn which is 5 or 6 miles from the estate. Either a local bus or taxi from King's Lynn station.

Also -- IF the coronation does fall during your dates you may be faced with some sites being closed for special events and EXTREMELY crowded areas in central London.

Old Oct 6th, 2022, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again for your suggestions. Our trip to London is 12 days so we are planning to take things slow where we can especially after the possible coronation June 2nd. We have booked Donnington Grove Country Club 2 nights near Newbury in order to be able to visit both Highclare and Stonehenge at leisure (we are both seniors) and to to catch a breather after the hub bub of the coronation and crowds of London. We will then return to London and stay in Westminster area to catch more sights after the crowds have gone home, hopefully.
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 11:13 AM

Looks like your trip is a month late
Old Oct 11th, 2022, 10:32 PM

I suggested that you keep an eye on the royal website.
https://www.royal.uk/coronation-his-majesty-king