Search

Traveling to Germany amidst the restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2021, 09:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Traveling to Germany amidst the restrictions

Hello everyone,

I am sure this is probably not the best place to post a question like this, but I am not sure where to go for information. My girlfriend and I are planning a small trip to Munich in about a week or two. We were all set to go and buy the tickets. However, I read online that American citizens/residents may travel to the EU or Schengen countries and return without any delay or restriction, but a nonresident will be banned from coming back to the US for 14 days. My girlfriend is here studying with an F-1 student visa (she is from an eastern european country). Is she exempt from this rule about nonresidents? Or does this apply to her as well? Any advice would help. Thank you!
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 10:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't count on advice given here is 100% current and accurate. You need to get your answers from the U.S. State Dept.

And anyone who tests positive for Covid immediately prior to the return date will not be allowed to board the flight or enter the U.S. This is a gamble for both citizens and visa holders.

https://de.usembassy.gov/covid19-faqs-for-visas/
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 10:36 AM
J62

Out of curiosity I walked trough te NIE navigator for the US Consulate in Munich, assuming a German Citizen located in a 3rd country, and got this result:

You Do NOT Require an NIE
Based on the answers you have given, you do NOT require an NIE. You may travel to the United States using valid travel documents. As always, noncitizens require either a valid visa, ESTA, or other valid means to enter the United States.

Your friend should contact the US embassy for her home country to see if the same applies to her specific situation.
Old Aug 9th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jean
I wouldn't count on advice given here is 100% current and accurate. You need to get your answers from the U.S. State Dept.

And anyone who tests positive for Covid immediately prior to the return date will not be allowed to board the flight or enter the U.S. This is a gamble for both citizens and visa holders.

https://de.usembassy.gov/covid19-faqs-for-visas/
Originally Posted by J62
Out of curiosity I walked trough te NIE navigator for the US Consulate in Munich, assuming a German Citizen located in a 3rd country, and got this result:

You Do NOT Require an NIE
Based on the answers you have given, you do NOT require an NIE. You may travel to the United States using valid travel documents. As always, noncitizens require either a valid visa, ESTA, or other valid means to enter the United States.

Your friend should contact the US embassy for her home country to see if the same applies to her specific situation.

Thank you so much to the both of you! Both of your responses helped a great deal.