Search

Tour by car in Northern Italy - Help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 02:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tour by car in Northern Italy - Help

Hello everybody!

This forum war proposed to me as a very good place to ask on how to organize a good trip or a tour in Italy.
This year from 11-22 August I will be in Italy with my girl and we are trying to organize everything but we've never tried to go on such a big tour again, so we need help.

Until now, we have booked half of our stays and have decided how many days to spend on each place. The tour so far looks like this:
11 -> Flight to Milano, drive immediately to our first airbnb in Como, (stay in Como, airbnb)
12 -> See things there, (stay in Como)
13 -> See things there, (stay in Como)
14 -> Drive to Milano, see things there, (stay in Milano, 43 Station Hotel)
15 -> Drive to Venezia, see things there, (stay in Venezia, airbnb)
16 -> Drive to Bologna, see things there, (stay in Bologna, airbnb)
17 -> Drive to Firenze, see things there, (stay in Firenze, not booked yet, maybe hotel)
18 -> See things there, (stay in Firenze)
19 -> See things there, (stay in Firenze)
20 -> Drive to Rome, see things there, (stay in Rome)
21 -> See things there, (stay in Rome)
22 -> Flight back home

We are about to book Rome only for 2 nights because I have been there again and the tickets usually are cheap, so we can go again another time.
My questions are these:
1) What could we see in each of these places?
2) Are the days for each one of them well balanced?
3) We will rent a car but we think to leave it in Firenze in order to save some money. Is it a good idea? Should we leave it earlier on the tour or keep it until right before our flight back home?
4) Are parking places easy to find?
5) Should we stay in the cities or trips out of them would be a good idea since we'll have a car?

That's it for now!
Thanks!
Antonis.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 04:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to Fodors.

First, if you are flying from the US, please do not drive from the airport the day you arrive - jet lag causes microsleeps.

Second, why are you using a car for this trip? You (and the environment) would be much better off using the train (see https://www.seat61.com/train-travel-in-italy.htm )

Third, if you are going to the lakes I would not recommend Como, stay further down the lake. Personally, I prefer Lake Maggiore, with its islands and therefore Stresa, on Como I would suggest Varenna. Both are accessible by train from Milan.

Fourth, you appear to have less than a full day for each of Milan, Venice and Bologna - pick one, and/or drop Florence (I've been to Italy multiple times and still haven't made it to Florence, but I am not big on art and crowds) or Rome.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 05:11 AM

Everything thursdaysd said. You really don’t want a car for any of these locations as they are all accessible by train, which will be much, much less hassle than trying to park.

August will be hot so you won’t want to be rushing around. This is likely to be a busy time, too. Perhaps think about your particular interests and what you both might enjoy. The trip you describe sounds much too hectic and not all that much fun. I get fast-paced trips, but you’ll barely see any of the stops. 1 night each in Venice, Bologna and Milan makes no sense, followed by 2 nights each in Florence and Rome. I would drop at least 2 places, possibly 3, and enjoy the places you do stop at. I don’t know your interests, but off the top of my head, I’d say drop Milan and Bologna. Bologna is a huge city and will not reward you in the short time you’ll be there. What are you interested in seeing and doing?

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 05:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't use cars in Italy unless I want to be in the country as trains are so efficient, many towns and cities in italy have ZTLs which can really limit parking. Are your BnB in the right sort of places for things you want to see?
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progol
Everything thursdaysd said. You really don’t want a car for any of these locations as they are all accessible by train, which will be much, much less hassle than trying to park.

August will be hot so you won’t want to be rushing around. This is likely to be a busy time, too. Perhaps think about your particular interests and what you both might enjoy. The trip you describe sounds much too hectic and not all that much fun. I get fast-paced trips, but you’ll barely see any of the stops. 1 night each in Venice, Bologna and Milan makes no sense, followed by 2 nights each in Florence and Rome. I would drop at least 2 places, possibly 3, and enjoy the places you do stop at. I don’t know your interests, but off the top of my head, I’d say drop Milan and Bologna. Bologna is a huge city and will not reward you in the short time you’ll be there. What are you interested in seeing and doing?

Well, we live and Greece and already have done a tour here in August so I don't think it will be so much hotter in Italy.

As far as the car concerned, we just thought that instead of carrying out baggage around or wait for the next train, it would be more convenient just to get in the car whenever we choose.

Every other person that we have asked about Milano, Bologna and Venice said that one day for these cities is enough.

While we stay in Como we plan to visit Bellagio, Lenno and even go to Lugano one of the days that we'll be there.

Generally we would like to visit museums and see a few of the major sights in each city.

Trying the food of course.

Maybe try some activities.

And lastly, if there are any places or beautiful villages to visit near town would be nice.

It doesn't mean that we want to do every one of these in each city.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 05:46 AM

I hadn't really registered that it was for August. Definitely not Rome, and preferably not Florence and Venice. In August I'd go for the lakes and the mountains. Possibly Turin and Milan with the lakes, and then Bolzano and somewhere in the Dolomites. But I get too much heat at home and I hate crowds - I visit Venice in the late fall.

Every other person that we have asked about Milano, Bologna and Venice said that one day for these cities is enough.
Anyone who thinks one day is enough time for Venice has visited at the wrong time of year (e.g. August). One day might be long enough for Milan, but you don't have a full day.

we just thought that instead of carrying out baggage around or wait for the next train, it would be more convenient just to get in the car whenever we choose.
Pack light, you're not going for long. The train will be less hassle and you won't have to find anywhere to park.

Last edited by thursdaysd; Feb 20th, 2022 at 05:52 AM. Reason: Add reply
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 05:58 AM

Milano, Bologna and Venice

Interesting people. I'd say the absolute 400 metre area around the duomo in Milano is worth a day, and if that were all there was to Milan then it would be a village. I also don't know where to park in the centre of Milano.

Bologna, to see this smaller city in a day, nah

Venice in one day, crikey, impossible, even I rush and I missed a lot last time I was there and I gave it three days.

August in Venice... should be busy
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 06:08 AM

You don't have a day in these places. You have a night and driving, finding parking, avoiding ZTLs, finding and checking in (and out) of your hotel/B&B, finding somewhere to eat. Not much time left for seeing the cities, ever mind any museums in them.
OK you are used to heat if you are from Greece, but equally if you are from Greece why the rush around tourist hotspots at peak tourist time? Slow down. Rethink things. You can always go back and spend longer in a couple of places another time. Try and spend quality time together rather than a mad rush from A to B to C to tick them off.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 06:11 AM

You will spend most of your one day stop driving to it, finding (expensive) parking while trying to avoid (very expensive) ZTL's, checking into your lodging (almost always unavailable until the afternoon), eating a few meals, and packing for the next day's departure. I hope you like these activities because that may be almost all you do. Please rethink your plans.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

So everyone is saying that we should drop off the car, travel by train and limit the cities that we are about to visit.

Given the things that we would like to do (as mentioned in my previous answer) while we are there, in which places should we stay and how many days to spend in each one of them?

Of all the places I mentioned, I know for sure that we want to go at Como and around it and Florence.

Also, isn't it a good idea to use the car just for the long distances between the cities and find accommodations with parking? And while in each place, just use the public transports.

Last edited by antonistag7566; Feb 20th, 2022 at 06:21 AM.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 06:40 AM

Really great questions and of course some of them have to have your own or your own family answers as this depends on what you want to do and what you are used to. The great thing about the Italian train system is it was designed to take people right into city centres. City centres (ok not Milano) tend to be pretty tight spaces with more modern city built up around them (well not Venice, which is a lagoon city) so Florence, Bolgogna are very much take the train. Venice also lends itself to a train, you can park near the main station but then still have to use local public services to get around or use shank's pony.

Florence is a great example. The buses are especially narrow to get along the medievel streets, you could park out the ZTL (outside the walls) and schlep your stuff in from there, there is also a large car park just inside the walls near the Rome Gate or just use the train. Bologna has fantastic train links from its station.

If I had to argue for the car, I would want you to have a large family (so cheaper than using the train) a lot of baggage and a real interest in getting out into the country, or visiting very small villages with no train links.

I would sit down with the family and prioritise what you want to do
1) Florence.... what in Florence?
2) Florence and around.... what?
3) Como... what?

etc

then we can help.

Despite being used to the heat, do you think you might want access to a pool?
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

At first thanks a lot for taking time to reply!

As far as Como concerned, we would like to see beautiful villages around there and even do some activities such as hiking, or... I don't know what else they offer. Physical activities in general!

In Florence, sightseeing and museums. I think this city has a lot to offer from historical standpoint.

But then I wonder, if I extend my stays in Como and Florence let's say by a day. Then we'll have 4 stays in Como and 4 in Florence and we have still 3 stays left. Which place to choose for the remaining?
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 07:02 AM

If I was answering this question for me (not you) then I would give the other days to Venice. Partially because Venice is unique as a structure and an ancient political entitity. If I found it too busy I would take local water buses to the other islands, or a train to Padova (which is not so great a special trip but still amazing), if I wanted the beach then the beach is nearby and if I really had enough I could take the long vap to Chioggia (but I like being on the water then it is hot), or I'd take a canoe tour of Venice. The options are enourmous. Accom prices might go up though

But if your family was crazy about fashion then Milano or football (though I don't know when they play football in Italy)

Or crazy for students then Bologna or Moderna

Or cycling then Ferrara

Last edited by bilboburgler; Feb 20th, 2022 at 07:16 AM.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
But if your family was crazy about fashion then Milano or football (though I don't know when they play football in Italy

Or crazy for students then Bologna or Moderna

Or cycling then Ferrara
It will be just me and my girl. The last time we did a tour was in Peloponnese for 5 stays and we liked the fact that we were driving a seeing enough things in a day.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 07:44 AM

I could see a case for a car for the lakes, although I used the ferries, but definitely not for city-to-city. Your Milan hotel, for instance, is right next to the train station. It is also inside the ZTL, and although there is a parking garage nearby I have no idea what it charges. I don't see the point of paying rental fees, gas and parking fees when the train is fast and comfortable, and the car will just be sitting idle while you are in Milan, Venice, Florence etc. Milan to Florence is just under two hours by train, the fastest route by car suggested by ViaMichelin is over three hours.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 08:17 AM

You are getting great advice!!! No car for this trip.
Between cities is where you want the train. In cities, you definitely do not want a car and most are best for walking.
Both Florence and Venice are really made for walking. City center of Florence is really small, filled mostly with people on foot. Of course, no cars in Venice at all.
Take minimal luggage. It will be hot. Lightweight clothing does not take up much space.
BTW, I am going to be snarky here. Never, ever take any travel advice again from anyone who said part of a day is enough for Venice. Do not even try to see anything of Venice without one whole day, which means two nights. Stay in Venice, not outside the city.
You can take day trips from Florence to Siena, Pisa, Lucca, etc. Though I would not, this is one place where you might want a car for just a day to see some of the countryside. You could do some hiking there too, walk the walls of Lucca, hike up to Fiesole. Florence can be very hot and muggy. Spend an evening and have dinner in cooler Fiesole. If Venice is too hot and sticky, go to one of the islands.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 02:52 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
The beauty of Lake Como is found mid lake not in the south end where the City of Como is located. Stay mid lake, either side.
Venice needs much more time! Four nights at least!
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 10:10 AM

Some hotels offer shuttles, incase of being far away from the train station. Another vote for no car from me. Trains were quite enjoyable throughout Italy.

With a car you might be able to reach some more remote restaurants and wineries, but the hassle of parking can be a headache.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

So we thought a little bit about it and we decided to drop out Bologna from our trip. Also, we are not about to rent a car, thus we are going to move with public transportation.

Until now, we have 3 stays in Como,
1 in Milano (we just want to see the city and we don't want to stay for more),
2 stays in Venezia,
3 stays in Firenze
and lastly the last 2 in Rome.

The only problem is that while we will be moving from Milano to Venezia we would like to see the Castello di Sirmione and that would occupy much of our first day in Venezia. Is it worthy?
Do you have to propose any other improvements?

Last edited by antonistag7566; Feb 21st, 2022 at 11:01 AM.