spain next christmas PLEASE HELP! FLIGHTS ON HOLD

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2022, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You have all been a big help for us trying to get to Spain this Christmas. I studied in Spain years ago and husband has been to Madrid and Seville. Kids, 18 and 20, have never been to Spain.
I have a bunch of flights on hold (with miles) so need to confirm by tomorrow.

Option 1
12/16-arrive Granada -3 nights Granada
12/19-12/21-2 nights Cordoba
12/21 - 12/25 or 26- Seville.
This is where I get confused. If trains are running on Christmas day, we can train to Malaga for 3 nights or depart Sevilla on Dec 26 and spend 2 nights Malaga, return to Granada for final night and fly out of Granada on Dec 29.
OR if trains are running on Christmas day, we could leave Sevilla on 12/25 and go to either Madrid or Barcelona and fly out of either Madrid or Barcelona on Dec 30. While I prefer Madrid, I think kids would love the Barcelona vibe. Weather better too. If we did Madrid, we'd visit Toledo for a day trip.

Option 2.
Fly into Barcelona and Arrive 12/16.-12/20 or 12/21
Sevilla 12/20 or 21-12/26 with day trip to Cordoba
12/26-12/29 and fly out of Granada 12/29

Many many thanks.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 12:51 PM

plambers,
Trains will run on Christmas Day but there will probably be a reduction in the number of departures.
If you think your kids would love the Barcelona vibe more, then start with Barcelona. You know your kids and their interests best.

We spent pre-Christmas, Christmas, NY and Epiphany in Madrid this year, and it was wonderful: the buzz on the packed streets, the holiday spirit, the incredible lights decorating the streets and the lights in Retiro Park (best ever), the ice skating, the spectacular Naturaleza Encendida show in the Botanical Gardens, the Naviluz bus, the Nativity scenes on display, the grapes and cava NYE countdown on the Puerta del Sol (watched on TV1), the 3 Kings Parade on Jan. 5, the San Silvestre run, the displays of Christmas treats and Roscón de Reyes in the bakeries, the artisans' market between Colón and Cibeles...loved it all, but as a former resident, I'm way too biased and I don't know your kids

Last edited by Maribel; Feb 7th, 2022 at 12:58 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 01:03 PM

You are probably up on this already, but I see your kids are college age. Some colleges have nearly a six week winter break, but some do not end exams until as late as December 20th, just in case it is different for your kids this winter.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Maribel, thanks. I just know in December daylight is short and 5.5 hours on a train to Barcelona is alot vs 2.5 to Madrid. And then we would end our trip in Madrid, as we have planned many times before. But if we do choose Barcelona, you think we should start with Barcelona rather than end there? I was thinking that too because it would not be as crowded. How many full days in Barcelona (with no side trips)? But if we start with Barcelona, I don't think we can stay overnight in Cordoba.

So you like option 1 with ending in Madrid? And leaving Seville on 12/26 for Madrid?

I am so happy you got to take your trip.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Original Poster

last possible exam is dec 14. thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 01:11 PM

Thanks, plambers,
If you think your kids would like Barcelona a great deal (and ime, college age kids really do), I would start there. 3 or 4 full days in Barcelona (with no side trips).
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 02:00 PM
Original Poster

so how does this look?

12/16 -12/20 Barcelona-enough time or do I add a day and just stay in Seville the whole time and do a day trip to Cordoba? I know alot is closed on Monday in Barcelona.
12/20-12/22 Cordoba
12/22-12/26 Sevilla. Doubt I can get a side trip to Cadiz or Ronda in here given Christmas
12/26-12/29 Granada and depart home 12/29
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 02:28 PM

plambers,
All the Gaudí sites are open on Mondays. 3 full days of sightseeing should be enough in Barcelona. The Picasso Museum is closed on Mondays as is the MNAC (National Museum of Catalán Art) and the Miró Foundation.

I'm confused about "stay in Seville the whole time".

I wouldn't attempt a side trip from Seville with your 4 nights, but instead stay there the whole time because on Christmas Day monuments will be closed, so you'll most likely need the days of 22, 23, half day on 24 and morning of 26 to do your sightseeing. To squeeze in that day trip to Cádiz by MD train (1 hr. 40 min. give or take), you might want to extend your Seville stay to the night of the 26th and only 2 nights, 12/27, 12/28 in Granada with departure home on 12/29.
Just a thought.

Granada doesn't necessarily need 3 nights (we do 3 there because we're slow travelers). You'll most likely have the coldest weather in Granada.
(We had beautiful, unexpectedly warm-for-winter temps in Madrid this past Christmas with just 2 days of rain--didn't use gloves or my heaviest coat--the daily highs ranged from 52-61F)

Last edited by Maribel; Feb 7th, 2022 at 03:00 PM.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Hi. I meant do we stay in Cordoba Dec 20-22 or do we just check into our apartment in Seville on Dec 20 and depart Dec 26 so do Cordoba as a day trip? I doubt we can get to Cadiz and that is fine. We are also slow travelers...
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 03:54 PM

plambers,
For me Córdoba is much more rewarding with an overnight or two than with a day trip. I just enjoy the Judería far more at night when the day trippers have left, the tourist trinket shops have closed, and it feels far less like a souk. It's a personal thing (feel the same way about Toledo).
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

yes we will stay in cordoba overnight for 2 nights then? or is one enough and we could depart later for seville later in the day?
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 04:58 PM

If it were the month of May during the lovely patio festival I would say that 2 nights are a minimum, but 1 night could work, but can you rent the Córdoba apartment just for one night? If the apartment can't be accessed until the afternoon and you have to vacate at 11 am the next morning, I would stay for 2 nights.

Last edited by Maribel; Feb 7th, 2022 at 05:06 PM.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 05:31 AM

I always recommend spending a night or two in Cordoba instead of seeing it as a day trip. I agree with Maribel that Cordoba's charm is in the evening when the daytrippers have left and the city and Mezquita are illuminated. And there is more to Cordoba than just the Mezquita. I would stay 2 nights if possible.

Four nights is a good amount of time in Seville, without day trips.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

maribel, can i ask why you want us to start with barcelona? If I end out trip with barcelona, we'd be able to have an extra day in spain. I am a bit worried that it will be super crowded that week.

i was ending the trip with madrid initially and starting with southern spain. many thanks.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 09:10 AM

If you can add a day, I would go with ending in Barcelona. It sounds like you have a great trip planned.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 10:59 AM

plambers,
I sent you a PM but will just repeat it here-

I only mentioned starting with Barcelona because if you think your college age kids will like it a great deal, then you'll be starting your trip off with a bang. That said....I don't know about your air return to the US from Granada, how long the total trip will be for you, how long a layover you'll have at Barajas (good connection or lousy one?). You may have a much better connection to return to the US from Barcelona.
For us, returning to the US West coast, we have a better, shorter flight time leaving from Barcelona than Granada or Seville, but I don't know about you.

Dec. 26 is "Boxing Day", an official holiday in Barcelona. Barcelona is (or was pre-Covid-19) always crowded and expensive during the holidays, ime. For us, lodging wise, it has been more expensive.

About trains: there USUALLY is no way to predict when Renfe will get around to loading the fares for Christmas Day....but I just checked and believe it or not, Renfe has fares available now up until Dec. 10, a record!

Hope this helps.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

Maribel, you are a wealth of knowledge! so will things be closed on dec 26 for boxing day in barcelona? museums, shops etc? is it also a holiday in seville? if not, looks like we might stay in seville on christmas and travel to barcelona on the 26th.we'd still have 3 full days there. many thanks
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 11:19 AM

Yes, many monuments are closed in Barcelona on Dec. 26 except for the Gaudí sites, which are privately run. For example, the Sagrada Familia is open on Dec. 25 and 26 but only from 9 am-2 pm. The Parc Guell is open year round. Casa Batlló is open every day. Casa Mila (La Pedrera) is only closed on Dec. 25 but is open on Dec. 26. The Recinte Modernista Sant Pau is only closed on Dec. 25.

More about Christmas in Barcelona here from my friend Marta of Forever Barcelona-

https://www.foreverbarcelona.com/ult...-01#more-90657

And here-

https://www.barcelona-tourist-guide....christmas.html

Dec. 26 is not an official holiday in Seville or Madrid or Granada.

Last edited by Maribel; Feb 8th, 2022 at 12:05 PM.