Sorrento to Naples by train or ferry?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29th, 2022, 01:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone done either? By train (station near our hotel) it’s about an hour with jillions of stops on a local. By ferry, 40 minutes, scenic and no stops (I think.) But once in Naples you have to get from the port to the main Naples train station. Can anyone recommend one over the other?
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the overall travel times are significantly different. You have to consider the time to go from your hotel to the ferry dock in Sorrento and then from the ferry dock in Naples to your final destination. If your hotel is near the Sorrento train station, and your destination is Napoli Centrale, an express train will get you there in 50 minutes. Going by ferry would take longer overall. Depending on the time of year, you would want/need a ferry reservation for a specific departure.

FWIW, the train makes 11 stops, and the fare is less than 4 euros. The ride on the ferry costs about 10 euros more (and more still if you take cabs to/from the docks). Most of the ferry ride is not what I would describe as "scenic," but it can be a very pleasant journey on a great weather day. However, under certain weather conditions, the ferries are cancelled.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 03:33 PM

https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Port-of...k-Bus-Terminal

Depends on how much luggage you have and where you are going afterwards.
Are you continuing on directly by train? Staying in Naples? Going to the airport? When? Late winter, early Spring may be rainy.

If you are continuing on by train, then station to station would be my first choice, since you are near the station in Sorrento and don’t need a taxi there. If your hotel location in Sorrento required you to get a taxi, and it would be just as easy to go to the port, then I would consider it, but it adds time, cost and hassle in your case.

I have taken the train between Naples and Sorrento several times. I have taken the bus from the port to the train station. I have taken both bus and taxi from the port to the airport. I have taken the ferry from Capri to Naples and another boat that stopped in Naples, so a couple of times in the port. I love being on the water, but also enjoy the train, so it depends on other factors.

Yes, the train takes more time, but with the ferry you have to add on time and cost of getting to the port in Sorrento (probably need a taxi if you have luggage) and the time and cost of getting from port in Naples to station. Getting off the ferry and walking to the bus, add about twenty to twenty-five minutes (with stops) to the station, or getting off the ferry and catching a taxi, add about ten minutes.

If I were going to the airport, and the weather was nice, I might spring for the ferry, then the bus or a taxi (much more expensive, but nice if you have a lot of luggage. However, the airport bus stops right outside the train station, so it is super easy and cheap to take it directly to the airport from the train station. Unless it has changed, going up and down stairs at the station to get from the local platform to the main station is a bit tiresome if you have much luggage.
If I were going to a hotel in Naples, and the weather was nice, I would likely take the ferry and a taxi to the hotel.

Hope this helps.

Old Jan 29th, 2022, 04:41 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Sassafrass
https://www.rome2rio.com/map/Port-of...k-Bus-Terminal

Depends on how much luggage you have and where you are going afterwards.
Are you continuing on directly by train? Staying in Naples? Going to the airport? When? Late winter, early Spring may be rainy.

If you are continuing on by train, then station to station would be my first choice, since you are near the station in Sorrento and don’t need a taxi there. If your hotel location in Sorrento required you to get a taxi, and it would be just as easy to go to the port, then I would consider it, but it adds time, cost and hassle in your case.

I have taken the train between Naples and Sorrento several times. I have taken the bus from the port to the train station. I have taken both bus and taxi from the port to the airport. I have taken the ferry from Capri to Naples and another boat that stopped in Naples, so a couple of times in the port. I love being on the water, but also enjoy the train, so it depends on other factors.

Yes, the train takes more time, but with the ferry you have to add on time and cost of getting to the port in Sorrento (probably need a taxi if you have luggage) and the time and cost of getting from port in Naples to station. Getting off the ferry and walking to the bus, add about twenty to twenty-five minutes (with stops) to the station, or getting off the ferry and catching a taxi, add about ten minutes.

If I were going to the airport, and the weather was nice, I might spring for the ferry, then the bus or a taxi (much more expensive, but nice if you have a lot of luggage. However, the airport bus stops right outside the train station, so it is super easy and cheap to take it directly to the airport from the train station. Unless it has changed, going up and down stairs at the station to get from the local platform to the main station is a bit tiresome if you have much luggage.
If I were going to a hotel in Naples, and the weather was nice, I would likely take the ferry and a taxi to the hotel.

Hope this helps.
thanks very helpful of you both. My reply button isn’t working. We will travel in June, 2 medium bags (trip is 5 weeks) on to Rome from Naples by train. I read there is a “tram” at the port but that was on an old post. Our hotel in Sorrento is just a couple of blocks from our hotel, and right at the Sorrento port, so an elevator down. I worry about taxis in Naples but maybe dishonest cabbies is old news.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 05:47 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
I've taken the train several times & it depends very much on what time you'd be riding. It's a commuter train, midday or late it's fine, but on weekdays at commute times it can be uncomfortably full & not good with luggage.
Old Jan 29th, 2022, 07:49 PM

https://www.naples-airport.info/bus/
Some may say tram or shuttle. I believe it is the same. Alibus

QUOTE=MmePerdu;17327741]I've taken the train several times & it depends very much on what time you'd be riding. It's a commuter train, midday or late it's fine, but on weekdays at commute times it can be uncomfortably full & not good with luggage.[/QUOTE]

Good advice from MmePerdu. I did not think about the time. I have ridden during commute times, but not with luggage. When I have had luggage, it has been closer to mid-day.

Is your hotel in Sorrento close to the port or the train station? Isn’t clear to me after all.

Taxis? Know ahead of time what it should cost. We are usually quoted a lot more than it should be. It quickly drops if you speak a bit of Italian or mention other means of transportation, like the Alibus.

While in Sorrento, will you be taking a ferry down to Positano or Amalfi, or over to Capri?
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 04:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The train is frequent. The ferry is infrequent. A car and driver arranged by your hotel is expensive but will take you on your own schedule. Do you have to be at the Naples terminal at a particular time? Will you want to leave some slack time "just in case?" What will happen if you miss your connection in Naples?

Mentally run the good and bad scenarios for this connection, then decide what you want to do.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 05:16 AM

Will you be touring Pompeii? Did you know you could take the train from Sorrento to Pompeii, store luggage at the entrance to Pompeii, tour, then go on to Naples. It is a great way to make that day a good day of sightseeing, not just travel, that is if you are taking a later train onward. If you planned on Pompeii, you could also do it the day before and go on to Naples and spend the night there.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 07:07 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
The Circumvesuviana added the express tourist train a few years ago between Sorrento and Naples and only stops at 4-5 tourist stops on the route. If you want to get on it first, the Campania Express starts at Naples Porta Nolana station and then goes to Centrale where most tourists get on. I haven't used it as I just take the regular commuter train, but they are usually crowded. On the Express, Naples to Herculaneum is 6€ and 2.50€ on the regular train.

Brochure%20orari%20sito%202021Campania%20Express%20dal%206%20settembre_cor.pdf

**Unless it has changed, going up and down stairs at the station to get from the local platform to the main station is a bit tiresome if you have much luggage.**

There are escalators.

FWIW - Taxis are a set fee between Naples and the coast with prices depending on which town. Because of those set fees, private driver prices are similar (usually a few euro more).
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 07:46 AM

kybourbon, Thank you so much for adding great info to this conversation. I vaguely remember escalators now that you mention them. It will be helpful for our next trip. Our last trip, we were staying in Naples and just going to Herculaneum, so no luggage and we didn’t care which train.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 12:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone. So very helpful. (I'm having trouble replying on this clunky site on both my Mac and my iPhone13, so hope this works). I find the travelers on the site to be much more experienced and sophisticated than other, ahem, unnamed places.

We are staying at Sorrento's Grand Hotel Vittoria (unless the place we really want opens up), so it's close to BOTH the port and the train station. I think it sounds like the ferry might me better for us in June. From Naples, we'll take a fast train to Rome so the commute frenzy shouldn't be an issue, but the luggage might be since will be traveling 5 weeks. I have promised my husband not to pack like Elizabeth Taylor this time. Whether we can grapple with the shuttle/tram, we'll see, but I'l try to negotiate a less than horrendous cab fare with my limited Italian.

Now I'm tearing my hair out trying to find a good masseria in the Valle d'Itria. (We decided to skip Basilicata/Matera this time.) Many of the best looking ones are already full for our dates (May 27, for 5 nights). A pool, walk-in shower (not a deal-breaker, but helpful), good location for village hopping and a GOOD restaurant (I've read some iffy reviews of some of the food at these places), for when we don't feel like driving to trattorias. I have something booked in central Ostini, but more of an old city base after a week + in Lecce seems too similar.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 01:25 PM

June 2 is a national holiday, you can't fully rely on the Circumvesuviana on national holydays.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 02:25 PM

I would go by train, as Circumvesuviana train station from Sorrento is adjacent to the Naples train station. We trained from Rome to Naples, then dragged the bags around the corner to the Circumvesuviana station and on to Sorrento. Very quick and easy.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 04:37 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
It doesn’t sound like you are planning to stay in Naples, just transit through. If that’s the case, there are buses from Sorrento to Rome. Check on rome2rio.com for schedules and stops. Luggage is stored under the bus so no need to drag it around.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 05:56 PM
Original Poster

Will you be touring Pompeii? Did you know you could take the train from Sorrento to Pompeii, store luggage at the entrance to Pompeii, tour, then go on to Naples. It is a great way to make that day a good day of sightseeing, not just travel, that is if you are taking a later train onward. If you planned on Pompeii, you could also do it the day before and go on to Naples and spend the night there.
We will have been to Naples for 4 days before visiting Sorrento, but great info to know, Sassafrass. Thanks.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by joannyc
It doesn’t sound like you are planning to stay in Naples, just transit through. If that’s the case, there are buses from Sorrento to Rome. Check on rome2rio.com for schedules and stops. Luggage is stored under the bus so no need to drag it around.
WE will have stayed in Naples for 4 nights before Sorrento, and Capri for 3-4 nights before that, that's' why we're heading straight to Rome.
Old Jan 30th, 2022, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Falcio
June 2 is a national holiday, you can't fully rely on the Circumvesuviana on national holydays.
Luckily we'll be on Capri on that day, not traveling. Another potential Italian disaster avoided!
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 07:05 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Some buses seem to have disappeared during covid. In the past, you could take the Marozzi bus from Sorrento to Rome (Tiburtina station not Termini). It leaves Sorrento at 6am and arrives Tiburtina at 9:45. There might be a later departure on a weekend. Flix seems to run a later bus (5p), but I don't think any of them have summer schedules yet. Flix also goes to Tiburtina.
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 03:58 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Naples has fixed rates for taxis. The driver told us it would cost X and additional for luggage. We told him the fixed rate with luggage and he said OK. Print out the fixed rate schedule!
Old Jan 31st, 2022, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Naples has fixed rates for taxis. The driver told us it would cost X and additional for luggage. We told him the fixed rate with luggage and he said OK. Print out the fixed rate schedule!
great to know, Happy It seems lots of international cities have figured out they’d better regulate their cabs, esp. after Uber, or tourists won’t return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -