Sim card for Italy and Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2022, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a trip to Italy and Greece next month, 13 nights in Sicily and 8 between Naples and Atrani. We then fly to Athens for another 13-14 nights.

As always, we will pick up a local sim immediately on arrival in Palermo, our first stop; we’ll pick up a second one in Athens where the rest of our family group join us. We would like the Italian sim to work in Greece too, and that’s where I’d like your advice. We’ll use the sims to make local calls to hotels/Airbnb hosts, some amount of data usage too for directions, etc. Every place we’re staying at has wifi.

From what I read Iliad, TIM and Vodafone appear to be the best for Italy, though I believe it’s hard to find stores for Iliad. TIM has a €20 sim with 40GB data, with EU roaming, I suppose data can be topped up as required. For Greece the Frog mobile card is recommended, also Vodafone, we’ll probably get the former.

Since Vodafone is recommended for both countries, would I be better off getting this in Italy, to be used later n Greece too? Or do I stick with TIM and trust I’ll get okay coverage in Greece?

Please chime in with your expert tips and comments, your help and advice is invaluable. Thanks in advance and best wishes for the start of another new week!
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Moderator, please tag for Italy and Greece, not able to do so myself. Thanks!
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 05:38 AM

Vodafone seems to have ditched their tourist package. Whether they'd sell you a normal non tourist one is something you'd need to check but I'm seeing more requirements to signup with an Italian credit card or bank account.

Right now the TIM offer is the only tourist package left with roaming.
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 06:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
data usage for directions.....
you know gps doesn't need data right?
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 06:56 AM

If TIM offer EU roaming, as they should for free, then you will be fine, only problem might be topping it up in Greece.
As Bilbo points out you don't need data for GPS. You can download maps to your phone before you leave or when you have WiFi and use them off line.
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
data usage for directions.....
you know gps doesn't need data right?
Thanks guys, yes, I know data isn’t required for GPS, I meant for when we’re walking, etc, not in a vehicle. Or when we want to check ferry/bus timings, tickets, etc, we’ll be relying on public transport in Italy and will have a car only for part of the time in Greece.

Looks like TIM is the way to go for Italy, we’ll make sure and top up before flying to Athens. The second sim we’ll get Frog mobile, that’s specifically meant for Greece.

Thanks again, always helps to get ideas from fellow Fodorites, much appreciated 👍
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 07:48 AM

I wouldn't top up the TIM offer. It doesn't renew. You'd need one of the normal non tourists offers for that. The TIM €30 is for 30 days IIRC. You could just buy a Greek SIM once it runs out.
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 08:57 AM

On the subject of Tim SIM cards, I was wondering if they offer an e sim? When I went to their sight it wasn’t clear if the Viaggio for travelers was available as an e sim. It would simplify not having to replace existing. Just trying to keep things as simple as possible.
Old Mar 14th, 2022, 10:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MsNelly
On the subject of Tim SIM cards, I was wondering if they offer an e sim? When I went to their sight it wasn’t clear if the Viaggio for travelers was available as an e sim. It would simplify not having to replace existing. Just trying to keep things as simple as possible.
Thanks Traveler_Nick, you make a good point, I didn’t think of it.

MsNelly, I was also wondering if there was the possibility of an e-sim, that would be ideal. Will research it some more. Though I quite often use an older iPhone for travel abroad.
Old Mar 15th, 2022, 08:02 AM

Using an older phone would make sense but unfortunately I always trade mine in. Having the new iPhone that is dual sim thought it would be easier to use an e sim rather than removing my current sim.
Old Mar 16th, 2022, 12:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MsNelly
Using an older phone would make sense but unfortunately I always trade mine in. Having the new iPhone that is dual sim thought it would be easier to use an e sim rather than removing my current sim.
MsNelly, yes of course, I need to look up the possibilities, also where I'd get the e-sim, some threads I found online mention ordering it online pre-travel. This will be my on my weekend to-do list, now that my flights, Airbnbs, etc are all booked. And if nothing else my old iPhone is always there!