Search

Scotland - Dundee Accommodations

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30th, 2022, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scotland - Dundee Accommodations

Dundee - Two Nights - Two Rooms

I'm looking for accommodation suggestions for a two-night stay in Dundee. After researching for hours, I'm still having trouble determining which hotels are in the best location for sightseeing, restaurants, and such.

I would love any info you can share!

Thank you!
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 01:04 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Just a quick question -- are you specifically looking to stay IN Dundee or just in the general vicinity? I've stayed lots of places within 10 or 15+ miles in Fife, Perthshire and Angus but haven't stayed in Dundee -- isn't my favorite place
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

We are driving to Dundee from Pitlochry through Perth.

We chose Dundee because we thought it would be an excellent base to explore the coast up to Arbroath before we headed to Edinburgh through St. Andrews.

So - Close to Dundee would work too!
Old Jun 30th, 2022, 04:38 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
IMO/IME Dundee is not that nice a place. Not nasty or dangerous or anything like that - but except for the V&A (which isn't that great - and I'm a member - LOVE the V&A in London) there really isn't much to recommend it. Its is a busy/congested city

YMMV

If you wanted a city (though much smaller at 10% the population Dundee) St Andrews would be much nicer. Or one of the fishing villages - Crail/Anstruther/Pittenweem/etc, Or Falkland -- all in Fife. But it sounds like you are already planning on staying in that area. Since Dundee to St Andrews is less than 15 miles, it just doesn't make sense as a stopover.

Instead, if your plan is to explore up into Angus/Aberdeenshire for Glamis, Dunnottar, Arbroath, Edzell etc I'd look at Forfar inland, and Arbroath or Stonehaven on the coast. Pitlochry > Perth > Stonehaven is less than 100 miles and about 2.25 hours. Pitlochry > Perth > Forfar is about 60 miles/1.5 hours. Pitlochry > Perth > Arbroath = 60 miles/1.5 hrs.

What is yor budget?
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 12:18 AM

Janis is spot on as always with Dundee. I’d definitely recommend you stay elsewhere.
Our visit to the V&A there was SO disappointing. We’d really looked forward to going but we both agreed it was a waste of time. We got chatting to a friendly member of staff in the cafe and he said feedback from visitors was very poor.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 05:19 AM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj & Morgana - Your information has helped us quite a bit! I am looking at the places/villages you have suggested.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 06:59 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
When will this be? Presumably it's after the British Open (golf tournament) which will be in St. Andrews starting in a couple of weeks.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Hi Gardyloo, Early October 2022

Old Jul 1st, 2022, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for your helpful info! - We have decided to stay in Arbroath. ^..^