Scandinavia help - Just Copenhagen or also Stockholm - total of 8 days

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2006, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have 7 1/2 days (8 nights) in July. I was planning on just Copenhagen with day trips to the castles, etc, but now I'm thinking that may be too much time and am considering flying to Stockholm for 2-3 days and I need help deciding. This will be the third week of a 3 week trip (first two in Portugal) so I'll be a little tired and therefore slower and I want to see Copenhagen in depth. But I generally cover alot of ground when I travel, and I'm not interested in every single museum/church itnerior, etc. As wonderful as Copenhagen sounds, and I do want to see both Friedriksborg and Kronborg Castles plus Roskilde, I'm still thinking I might be bored with almost 8 days.

So - opinions please.
Old May 21st, 2006, 03:04 PM

I like both Copenhagen and Stockholm .... probably your best bet would be to split the time. Don't forget to load up on open face sandwiches while you're in Copenhagen!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Grandma, anyone else?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 03:47 AM

You really should go to Stockholm for 3 days. Its a much nicer city than Copenhagen. My opinion!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 04:37 AM

I was in both cities the first of this year. You don't need eight days in Copenhagen, IMHO.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:18 AM

I agree with caryspall. Take at least three days in Stockholm. It's lovely in the summer time. Visit to the skerries, if you can get onto a boat.

Don't forget to see the Wasa warship. It sunk on it's maiden voyage. In fact it didn't clear the harbor, with the king still watching. It was sunk in 1639, if I remember and it was found again not too long ago.

I've had many friends came to Sweden and I had to visit Stockholm for a few days. It's very nice.

Don't forget to bring your camera.

Blackduff
Old May 22nd, 2006, 05:30 AM
ira

Hi Isabel,

Of your 7 1/2 days, 3 are already taken up with daytrips.

Have you considered visiting Old Town Aarhus and/or Odense, home of Hans Christian Andersen?

Now you have only 3 1/2 days in Copenhagen, which is not enough.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Most people seem to feel Stockholm is at least at interesting (if not more so) than Copenhagen. I can't remember why I choose Copenhagen in the first place (over Stockholm) but in researching it certainly does sound great. But now so does Stockholm.

So Ira, why do you say 3 1/2 days are not enough for Copenhagen (not counting the castle day trips)? How long were you there (did you do a trip report?)?
Old May 22nd, 2006, 10:42 AM

I just returned from 3 days in Copenhagen and 5 in Stockholm. But I always want to stay at least a month everywhere, but unfortunately the daily grind of life and working seems to get in my way

however, I loved both of them, did no side trips from Copenhagen, - the 5 days in Stockholm were amazing and I can not wait to go back - for me, the 3 in Copenhagen has satisfied me , but again, we stayed local and did all our touring walking. I found Stockholm so wonderful, we are amazed we haven't gone sooner, and hope to go back some time in the summer when more going on in the archipelagos, etc and found it a wonderful walking city and biking city. I hope to get my trip report up this week.

If you do not think you will get back to that area in the near future, I would visit both cities on this trip.

Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:09 AM

We had six nights in Copenhagen in 2003 and there are still a fair number of things I want to see. We did several daytrips. We didn't do Stockholm on that trip - so I can't compare.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
ira

Hi Isabel,

Last time I was in Copenhgen was for 2 weeks.

Have you looked up what to do in 7 days in Copenhagen under "destinations"?

Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:04 PM

Don't miss the opportunity to visit Stockholm. It's "beauty on water" as they used to call it some years ago when I was there - OK, so that sounds corny/cheesy or whatever, but it is lovely. Not so much "big sights", more just a pleasant place to be around.
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Isabel, I know from my stockholm trip report you saw that leg of my journey, I finally got my Copenhagen report up today ifyou are interested
the tiny url link to it is:
http://tinyurl.com/oazwa
happy planning!
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:25 PM

Isabel: there is also a web page
useit.dk
which is by Playtime and is a non commercial guide for tourists on a low budget in Copenhagen that had some great info on everything which might help you
Old Jun 6th, 2006, 03:39 PM
hax

Hi Isabel,
Be sure to visit Louisiana, a fabulous modern art museum in a spectacular setting on the water. It, too, is a day trip--maybe 45 minutes from Copenhagen on the way to Elsinore (Kronborg castle). You could easily combine the two if you drive. It was a real highlight.

Also, if you are into design, make sure you allow time to shop. Stroget, the pedestrain shopping street , has great stores for the home.

We went when my kids were small, so we took an overnight trip to Odense, Egeskov (great castle with a moat and a maze) and the original Legoland. I'd skip them. But we also took a two night cruise to Oslo (up and down Oslo fjord) with my Danish family. This cruise leaves right from Nyhaven, and could be another easy (no flying) option for you. Have fun! Denmark is great.