Search

Rome questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2024, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome questions

I will be flying into Rome for a few days before heading out to Palermo. I have a few questions as it has been years since I have been in Rome.
Last time I stayed near Termini. While the hotel was wonderful and I didn't have any trouble, I would like to be around a different area this time. I would like to find a safe area with lots of cafes. (Safe meaning I can wander around in the evening to enjoy the city). Also, what is the best way to travel from the airport. Last time, I booked a shuttle as it was my first time travelling solo. Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 09:14 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by kelsey22
I will be flying into Rome for a few days before heading out to Palermo. I have a few questions as it has been years since I have been in Rome.
Last time I stayed near Termini. While the hotel was wonderful and I didn't have any trouble, I would like to be around a different area this time. I would like to find a safe area with lots of cafes. (Safe meaning I can wander around in the evening to enjoy the city). Also, what is the best way to travel from the airport. Last time, I booked a shuttle as it was my first time travelling solo. Thanks for any advice.
Take the Train (Metro or Urban railway)
I found St Pietro or Vaticano was good for me.
https://www.rome.net/transportation
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 09:54 AM

I like the Piazza Navona area. Right in the center, lots of restaurants (don't necessarily eat right on the piazza), lots of good bus connections. I go back there every night after dinner to have a Limoncello and watch the people and the fountains.

If you don't want to take the train from the airport, airportshuttle.it is good. I see their prices have gone up some, like everything, but I have used them many times and they are always reliable.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. May I ask where you stayed?
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 01:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 04:31 PM

Agree that the area around Piazza Navona is a good location. We’ve stayed at Navona Queen twice in the last two years. It is about a 5 minute walk from Piazza Navona and quiet even though it is on Vittorio Emanuele. 15 minute walk to St. Peter’s and 7 to Campo de Fiori. Good breakfast and nice mother and son owners.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 05:43 PM

You need to figure out where you're staying before picking transport. You also need to think about budget.

The express train goes to Termini. There are also buses going to Termini.

The FL1 regional train makes various stops which might be more convient.

One of the buses stops near the Vatican.

If you're going somewhere else a cab or car service might make more sense.
Old Mar 31st, 2024, 10:53 PM

Good thinking about finding a new area. Staying away from Termini is always a good idea.
I've been curious about how safe rome feels.... with the exception of some places near there.

taxi prices from the airport is regulated to be EUR50 and will take up to an hour.

So this is my advice on location
Finding a hotel near something is only useful for the one day that you want to start or finish near that something. For all the other days it's actually a cursing than a blessing and if nothing else that cursing is noise.

Advice 1.
Get a taxi to where you want to start each day and walk from there then taxi back to the hotel

Advice 2
Consider a quiet location. We stayed at the hilton garden inn rome claridge. Great quiet location

Advice 3.
If you prefer to be in the city centre near stuff and don't care about noise then stay close close close to either the Spanish steps or the trevi fountain.

this last piece of advice will give you the best chance at the best photo ops at both of those locations since they are not far from each other.

The biggest tourist mistake is to visit free things in the day. Visit them at 6am when no one is there then go back to your hotel for free breakfast and still make it in time to be the first person into some of the paid sites.... or catch a cab to be the first to see the sistene chspel etc

Be the last into the Colosseum or at least the last to leave
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 03:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Using a taxi in many Italian cities especially when the public transport is so is good is a bit weird.

Rome is slightly different as the building of new city trains and trams is restricted by the massive amount of archeology every spadeful turns over. Even so the map of Rome's public transport is easy to find and the prices are below silly. Where trains and trams cannot go the buses are not bad.

As a general rule I always travel with as little stuff as possible.

Hope that helps.

I'd choose a general area you want to stay and then look at google maps for the little stops that are indicated.

Old Apr 1st, 2024, 04:10 AM

If you stay in a fairly central location, walking may be your best means of transportation. I find the former Jewish Ghetto area to be ideal for walking. Most of the major attractions of Rome are within half an hour's walk from there, and the walks are always very interesting.

Public transportation is also very easy to use. A 100-minute ticket for bus/tram/metro is only €1.50. It's good for unlimited bus or tram trips, and one entrance into the metro system. Google maps will tell you what bus to take and how to get to the nearest bus stop.

You can buy your ticket on the bus or at the metro entrance by tapping your phone, card, or watch. If you still have time on your ticket, the system will recognize that. If you have a paper ticket, stick it in the little machine on the bus, or in the metro turnstile.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 04:44 AM

On first misreading, I thought you wanted to stay in a safe area with lots of cats, so, obviously, Torre Argentina. The Barrett B&B was comfortable, with eclectic decor, up some stairs if that matters. Close to Campo di Fiori, Pantheon and Piazza Navona

A different happy stay was in Monti, which has an even higher concentration of restaurants and is handy to the Colosseum, Domus Aurea and some good churches. That was the Inn Urbe Colosseo, also upstairs.

Not bothered by noise in either location.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 05:39 AM

I would not stay near Spanish Steps unless you want to do a lot of shopping.

Piazza Navona or Monti would be my own picks.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 07:55 AM

[QUOTE=bhuty;17549469]Good thinking about finding a new area. Staying away from Termini is always a good idea.
I've been curious about how safe rome feels.... with the exception of some places near there.

taxi prices from the airport is regulated to be EUR50 and will take up to an hour.

In my many times in Rome, it has never taken an hour to get to the center from the airport, more like 1/2 hour. A shuttle will be cheaper than a taxi and will be waiting for you when you come out of baggage pickup.

Advice 1.
Get a taxi to where you want to start each day and walk from there then taxi back to the hotel

This could get expensive. Once at your hotel, the bus system is very good.

Advice 2
Consider a quiet location. We stayed at the hilton garden inn rome claridge. Great quiet location.
I have to strongly disagree with this location. It's a long way from anything (except Gallerie Borghese, which is great).

Last edited by SusanP; Apr 1st, 2024 at 07:57 AM.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 08:37 AM

Welcome, kelsey22! I don't know what your budget is but if you want to splurge, the Raphael next to Piazza Navona might work.

Scroll down to March 17 for the start of the Rome portion:

Perugia and Rome by train and bus

The hotel called a taxi for the airport.

Last edited by TDudette; Apr 1st, 2024 at 08:42 AM.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by TDudette
Welcome, kelsey22! I don't know what your budget is but if you want to splurge, the Raphael next to Piazza Navona might work.

Scroll down to March 17 for the start of the Rome portion:

Perugia and Rome by train and bus

The hotel called a taxi for the airport.

TD..I'm interested that you stayed at the Raphael. I've not stayed there but did have a tour of a few rooms; we just walked in and asked to look around and they were lovely to us...that is a wonderful location and now the I read that you recommend, I will put this hotel on my list for next time in Rome...thank you!!

Old Apr 1st, 2024, 11:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I generally take a taxi from the airport as I live in California and tend to arrive thoroughly exhausted.

These days I prefer to stay right outside of the heavily touristed center, choosing hotels on the perimeter or at least on quiet/peaceful blocks that don't have big tour groups marching through or those folks selling day-glo things that are thrown into the air. I wouldn't concern myself with safety in central Rome, though. Just be sensible, of course.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 12:33 PM

I have stayed in quite a few neighbourhoods in Rome.
In 2022 we stayed in Monti at NH Collection Roma Fori Imperiali which was fantastic, loved the hotel, loved the location, loved the view from our room looking over the Forum. We walked everywhere from this location.
In November I stayed at the Sofitel near the villa Borghese and while I absolutely loved the hotel, you are a walk up a hefty hill away from the sights. We took taxis when tired and we enjoyed the very local restaurants but next time I would stay in Monti again.
I have stayed at the Hotel Raphael, but it was in 2010, it was very nice but the Piazza Navona is not my favourite area of Rome. Trastevere is an interesting, lively place to stay and we also once stayed at the top of the Janiculum hill - the property was very nice but the narrow crazy street leading to it was a death trap so I would never recommend this place.
Old Apr 1st, 2024, 12:51 PM

What is your budget? The Raphael looks lovely, but I put in random dates for September, and it was $649 per night. Way out of my budget! 😄
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 02:55 AM

As mentioned above, a taxi from the airport is usually not the best choice. You have to do find a taxi queue and drag your luggage there. The drivers have their preferred destinations, those that involve little traffic and a good chance of picking up a new fare. (I've seen them bicker over prized fares and foist other passengers off on the drivers with less experience.) There are even fake taxis that will solicit you inside the airport and rip you off royally.

There are several private shuttle services that cost about the same as, or sometimes less than, a taxi. Two that I know to be trustworthy are romeshuttlelimousine.com and rometaxi.com. Another service was mentioned above, which I've never used so I can't recommend it personally.

The two I mention will wait for you outside immigration, holding a sign with your name on it, and they'll take your luggage to their car. They ask for your flight information, and they'll track the flight, so that even if it's early or late, they'll be there. They tell you in advance exactly what the price will be, and take your credit card information, but they won't charge you before arrival at the destination, unless you're a no-show. (I don't know what the procedure is if you miss the flight, but I'm sure they have a way for you to inform them so you won't be charged.)

Last edited by bvlenci; Apr 2nd, 2024 at 03:07 AM.
Old Apr 2nd, 2024, 03:11 AM

The car services have all bumped up their fares. It's not hugely more but it's more than a cab.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -