Reviews of river cruise companies

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10th, 2021, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I are discussing going on our first European river cruise in 2022. We would appreciate reviews of companies and destinations. We would probably choose to travel on the Danube in the spring or fall.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 05:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Conde Nast just issued their Reader's Choice awards. Viking was number one for river cruises.

Any special reason for river rather than land?
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 05:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had a terrible Danube River cruise experience with Viking and avoid them.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Oct 10th, 2021 at 05:57 PM.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 07:55 PM

I have not taken a real River cruise, only day long cruises on rivers, so can’t give advice about particular companies. I can, however give some advice about time of year and rivers. I have done many ocean cruises and weather is always a factor to consider. Hurricane season risk is a big one to consider in the Caribbean. Knowing the possibility of canceled ports or different itineraries may be OK or not, depending on your expectations. We spent several days once just circling around avoiding a hurricane. I know that risk going in when I book. I do not like beaches in unbearably hot weather, so do not book the Caribbean in July and early August. I like being outside on a ship, so do not book European cruises in early winter.

How does this apply to you? Depending on Winter snows, or late Summer storms, rivers can be flooded so that river boats cannot go under bridges. Sometimes they cannot dock in some ports. Just the opposite can happen. Rivers can become too low for boats to safely navigate. If ports become crowded and there are too many boats to dock, they may tie up together, side by side, rather than end to end. You can end up having to walk through several boats to get to the dock. Your views become restricted too. Most, if not all, cruise companies can change ports or itineraries for any reason. River cruise companies may also substitute bus tours for river tours for many reasons. This is a big problem if you hate bus tours and signed up for a river cruise to avoid busses.
The cruise company is, of course important, and you can’t entirely predict the weather, but IMHO, the most important thing you can do is look into which rivers have had the most issues in the last few years and the times of year the rivers are usually most affected. Look at predictions for next year. Look to see how the different cruise companies have handled these events. Also, is the river cruise experience what you are most interested in or the sightseeing part? If it is the cruise experience, then pick the best ship with the best food, etc. If it is the sightseeing, than look at what ports on different rivers have to offer.
In the search button here, look for trip reports of river cruises.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 09:54 PM

Viking Rhine Getaway River Cruise – August 2018

This is a wonderful trip report of a Viking River Cruise with lots of comments by other people who have also taken river cruises. It has a lot of information, ideas, etc. The OP was open to the experience, really enjoyed it and with saying what he liked and did not like, gave an unbiased review.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 10:14 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I took a Vantage cruise on the Main and Rhine over Christmas 3 years ago and LOVED it. Being I was traveling solo there was really no question since Vantage has 4 to 6 single cabins on almost every ship and there is usually no single supplement. It was cold but with the heaters on the forward and aft decks and lap rugs and a hot toddy or Irish Coffee it was great fun sitting outside. Most consider Vantage 'down market' from Viking but I could not have asked for better accommodations, food, and drink. Tauck is likely the best but very pricey. Viking is often listed as the next best.

Here is a Cruise Critic article comparing Viking vs. Vantage. https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=2201
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 11:23 AM

Of the four river cruise companies I’ve experienced I would list in order of preference and value for dollar as follows:
#1- Tauck
Best all around value all inclusive, superior choices of excursion venues, three tour managers to ensure personal attention in addition to a tour director, top hotels for pre and post hotel stays. The ship decor is surprisingly bland but food and entertainment excellent with extra treats offered regularly. Single cabins with queen beds are very affordable with no single supplement charge.
#2 - Uniworld
A pretty good second to Tauck. One tour director only, although on my one cruise with Uniworld the director proved to be exceptionally able. A couple excursions of choice are paid extras to the tune of $150. Ships are very beautifully decorated and posh feeling. Single supplement is high but may be dropped/negotiated, depending on how full ship is. Queen bed in single cabins.
#3 - Vantage
This is more of a budget type experience with average excursions, good food on ship, not so much the few land lunches. Cabin walls are thin and neighbors can be clearly heard. Single supplement can be negotiated per Uniworld. Queen bed in single cabins.
#4 - Avalon
Would not recommend this line. Inferior cruise directors, below average hotels for pre or post stays, less than acceptable food on board.

I hope the above provides some helpful info. I am signed on to an October 2022 Musically Magical River Cruise down the Danube and I can’t wait. Keeping fingers crossed that the pandemic will be behind us and freedom to travel will be ours once again.
travelchat

Old Oct 11th, 2021, 11:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Interesting, as I have been thinking about river cruise from Amsterdam to Basel.
just started reading reviews etc.
Sassafrass…..thanks for mentioning that trip report. Lots of info there

As far as The Danube goes we just did a day cruise around Melk. The “blue” Danube was brown and muddy, not at all pretty. Maybe it’s better on other parts of the Danube. Can anyone comment on that?
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 12:05 PM

https://phys.org/news/2020-09-brown-...ers-taint.html

With several comments here and on other threads about the Danube, this is interesting.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 01:01 PM

This video gives a useful guide to things you should know about European river cruises in general:

Note: many Rhine cruises start in Basel. Please build in some time to visit my city!
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 02:53 PM

This is just a great video, thanks for posting it. While you've been tactful about it, my sense is that river cruise lines have no interest in disabled travelers whatsoever. They actively discourage people who are not fully fit (for many appropriate reasons), and that's fine, but I do dislike the vague threats that you would be sent home if you can't keep up, and some have a requirement to assess your fitness themselves. As a mobility challenged traveler I take complete responsibility for knowing my needs and getting them met (ground floor rooms, no stairs in hotels, guard rails in baths, etc.) and it pleases me to see that while not subject to an ADA, European venues are trying more and more to be accommodating. After going up the side of the Acropolis by elevator, I was pretty sure I could do anything! Thanks again for this information.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 05:51 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Only re my own experience on the one Christmas cruise on Vantage. There was one disabled passenger (100% wheelchair bound), two severely limited - barely ambulatory beyond a few steps, and one who could walk but relied on a rollator. All I can say is the crew and guides took great care of them -- all shore excursions that involved any walking were divided up by abilities. One or two groups for the most fit, two or three for the slower/mostly elderly passengers and one for those who need special help. The groups were 'mostly self-selected' at sign ups the evening before and the system worked very well as far as I could tell. I was always in one of the more active groups but we often crossed paths with other groups and every one seemed to be enjoying going at the appropriate paces . . . for them. And it was great for us younger or fitter it was great that we were not help back by the slowest members. The least ambulatory (between the four passengers and their SO's/traveling companions that group averaged between 5 and 10 people depending on the specific excursion and in at least 3 ports of call that group had the use of a private mini van.

I do not know if all Vantage cruises are like this or if we just had an especially good cruise director - as I said I've only been on the one river trip.

Old Oct 13th, 2021, 12:31 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
Conde Nast just issued their Reader's Choice awards. Viking was number one for river cruises.

Any special reason for river rather than land?
Yes, We usually plan our own land vacations in Europe, renting a car, making our own reservations, etc. We would not do well in a group land trip. We've enjoyed sailing trips in the Caribbean - just us and 1 to 6 friends on our own chartered sailboat or catamaran.
Old Oct 13th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone, for your comments, links to video and trip reports and articles. We will spend time reviewing everything.
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
We had a terrible Danube River cruise experience with Viking and avoid them.
Was this a recent trip?
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 05:17 PM

A few years ago. On the other hand we had a fabulous experience with AMAWaterways river cruise on the Mekong, Cambodia to Vietnam. So much better in every way than Viking.
Old Oct 18th, 2021, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What was wrong with the Viking trip?
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 04:53 AM

If you can slog through my lengthy trip report that Sassafrass posted a link to above (thanks for the nice words Sassafrass), you will see that overall we did have a great time. As I said in my report, we were lucky and nothing went wrong on our trip but I have read reviews from unhappy folks who did not fare as well as we did. I don't know what our experience would have been like if we did have problems. You need to do a lot of research and decide if the gamble is worth it for you.
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 05:47 AM

What was wrong with the Viking Danube trip? When we arrived at a port they tried to make everyone stay together, a tour group. We preferred to see these areas independently. They actually physically barred us from leaving the ship but we finally did. And then the “guard” said good for you, more passengers should head out on their own! They told us not to take the subways in Vienna which we did, no problems there at all.
There were no amenities in the rooms, shampoo etc. So we had to shop in small towns with no ability to communicate in German hoping we were buying what we wanted.
And the food was average at best. I could tell more but you get the idea.
We had been on their Russia trip earlier which was much better.
Old Oct 19th, 2021, 04:00 PM

This is great info. We are at a crossroads where DH has a major knee issue that can't be resolved by surgery; long straight walks ok; stairs an issue. With retirement planned for late 2023, we are considering a Christmas Markets river cruise then, so we will be researching the options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Your Privacy Choices -