Rent or lease car in France ?

Old Nov 11th, 2022, 05:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rent or lease car in France ?

Hi !
We will make a 38 days trip In france in july-August. We will need a car for 29 days (no car needed in Paris and Lyon). We have to take the car in Paris and return it in Lyon. We live in Canada so prices here are in CDN $$

We usually rent thru autoeurope and always have got good price, but the car industry is not the same for the last 2 years so prices have jumped.

We need an automatic (well we dont 100% need it, but it would give us peace of mind) so now our options are :

1) Classic rental that goes around 1900-2100$. Basic insurance (we got a CC that covers damage). We can take the car and return it near our airbnb in Paris and Lyon (so less transport cost, and since we are 4 ...)

2) Leasing (achat-rachat). we could get a brand new car for something like 2200$. full insurance unlimited mileage, no need to give the car back with full tank. But it means to go to CDG airport and Lyon airport because that service is only avaible there. The avaibility of the car is not 100% warranty, but 3 weeks before if the car is not avaible they will help me find other options (classic rental or another model)

We are open to any ideas/tips ! Thanks !
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 06:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
why do you need a car?

if you need an automatic (like hens teeth) you might consider an electric car which drives like an automatic and there are probably (only probably) more available.

Last edited by bilboburgler; Nov 11th, 2022 at 06:13 AM.
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 06:41 AM

We've leased more often than rented over the last 10 years. Must be in-country 17+ days, as I recall, which you will be. Have used Renault. Have picked up the cars in Paris (at Orly twice and Port d'Auteuil twice) and in Nice. Turned cars in to same place except in 2018 when we turned it in outside Barcelona. Don't know why you say your pickup was limited to Paris and Lyon. The menu I used had a much wider list of pick-up and turn-in locations. For longer stays, like yours, I found it much less expensive, especially when you factor in insurance (which the lease covers), and guarantees that you will be driving a new car. Also, because I too wanted an automatic (with GPS), I found leasing gave me a much broader range of choices, car-wise. And, as my wife likes to drive as well, the additional driver came at no extra charge. The two main drawbacks in my mind are (1) the leasing office (TTP) is not always easy to find (and may not even be co-located with other rental agencies) and (2) the red license plate identifies you as a foreigner (though soon after you get out of the car, everyone probably sees that you are!).

Old Nov 11th, 2022, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
why do you need a car?

if you need an automatic (like hens teeth) you might consider an electric car which drives like an automatic and there are probably (only probably) more available.
Hi !
1) we need a car because we are 4 (2 adults and 11-15 years old) and we are covering a lot of ground in regions where train is not much avaible as an option (Brittany, Dordogne, Auvergne) and we do like the flexibility that a car allows us.
2) I think (I might be wrong) that an electric car would be an hassle : Find a charger, calculate remaining charge....

Last edited by tostaky; Nov 11th, 2022 at 06:54 AM.
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 06:45 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by billandcindy
We've leased more often than rented ...
Hi !
Of course leasing is avaible outside Paris and Lyon, but that's where we want to take and leave the car. The problem is that leasing is airport only, that would mena to take (expensive) ride to and from Airport. Main problem with leasing is that car is not garanteed in our covid time .
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 07:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by tostaky
Hi !
1) we need a car because we are 4 (2 adults and 11-15 years old) and we are covering a lot of ground in regions where train is not much avaible as an option (Brittany, Dordogne, Auvergne) and we do like the flexibility that a car allows us.
2) I think (I might be wrong) that an electric car would be an hassle : Find a charger, calculate remaining charge....
makes sense, I think it is getting easier but it might be an option if an automatic is not there

https://www.europcar.com/editorial/e...d-to-know-898/
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 08:22 AM

I think there are places in France where you will have to search to find a charging station, and there aren't that many. Even where I live in the US, you'd have to really do research and plan for that, you can't just assume you will find one when you need a charge, like you would gas.

I don't see the advantage to leasing, since you will spend more money not just for the rental but add in maybe 100 euro or more for the airport transportation. Plus your time, of course. I don't even know why they do that stuff in France, seems weird (the whole so-called "leasing" thing, which as you note isn't really leasing). It just seems if this is really a brand new car, they are devaluing their inventory a lot for little as they can't sell that car as new (I presume as it isn't).

Why are you even considering leasing? They can't even guarantee you will get an AT, and if they "help" you at the last minute to rent a car, you may well end up paying a lot more than if you booked it in advance. And you may not have as many options.
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 09:26 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Christina
I

Why are you even considering leasing? They can't even guarantee you will get an AT, and if they "help" you at the last minute to rent a car, you may well end up paying a lot more than if you booked it in advance. And you may not have as many options.
Leasing got full warranty in the price. If the car is avaible it will be what I ordered, an AT car. If they are not able to have the car THEY will pay for my rental.
I.'m not 100% covinced about that formula, but I know many people used it for a trip longer than 3 weeks, I guess there's some advantages to it..
Old Nov 14th, 2022, 08:51 AM

I am currently in France (Reims) and have been here for almost two weeks. I "leased" through AutoTT (again) and had some questions about the current situation. I was going to post a travel update, but saw your thread and made a detour.
My car was available exactly where and when it was supposed to be there. The choice of models was greater than the last time I leased thru them. If, for some reason, they are unable to provide you with the exact car you requested, they will give you an automatic upgrade - AT NO ADDITIONAL COST TO YOU - and whatever that car is, will be waiting for you.
As for difficulty in locating rental location; all you have to do at CDG is go to any phone (or, of course use your cell) and dial the number that is provided with your reservation confirmation. They are already expecting you, because you provide them with your flight number when you make the car reservation. When you exit the baggage claim area, do NOT go all the way to the outside curb area. There is a walkway between baggage claim and the outer doors. Exit baggage claim, turn right, go all the way to the end (Exit #16). Step outside and someone is RIGHT THERE waiting for you. They send a vehicle to retrieve you, and they take you directly to the rental location.
The ONLY drawback is that they do not provide you with a full tank of gas/diesel. There is only enough for about 5-10 kilometers. So they can set your GPS for the closest station, but for ME, that meant getting onto the Peripherique after getting gas (That's the only option from that station) and I was trying to avoid that since my arrival was during AM rush hour.. And you don't want to fill your tank there because, obviously due to its proximity to the airport, it is EXPENSIVE.
I'll give more information on my trip in another thread.