Refund from British Airways

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2022, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because my husband and I had one of our flights cancelled on the way home from Germany in July, British airways has emailed us that we are entitled to a refund of 600 euros per person and extra expenses. I had requested that my extra day be covered and they responded that due to EU regulation 261 we were also entitled to the other compensation. The email from customer service asked me to send them my bank information, including routing number and account number. I feel a little bit anxious about sending it to them. Has anyone had
this happen to them and/or does this seem to be the normal procedure? Thank you.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 03:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
This is probably an EU261 payment -- not a refund of your flights. Normally when refunding a flight purchased they would just credit it to the same credit card. But this isn't a refund of a purchase so that likely complicates things a bit. I'd either phone or tweet BA and ask if they could credit the card used to purchase the flights. If not and they MUST send the money to your bank -- then acct and routing #'s would be necessary.

I'd actually call -- and if the answer isn't satisfactory, ask to speak to a supervisor to plead your case. But in the end -- there may not be a choice.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Janisj, that’s exactly what it is. In one of the emails, they said they could send a check. I would imagine it would be in Euros. I would have to check to see if the bank accepts that. I guess I will call them again tomorrow. But it has been impossible to get a human on the phone!
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 09:35 PM

Assuming that you are happy that the email genuinely is from BA, why would you be nervous sending that information to BA? It can only be used to transfer money TO not FROM your account.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 10:47 PM

BA does not automatically know where to send the EU261 payment to so you need to tell them. If they’ve given you options via email, take the one that’s suitable, give them the info they need & you’ll receive the money. End of story. Trying to get thru to BA is a waste of time, difficult to get thru to, then passed around various departments only to get cut off. What is the concern with giving them the details of your bank so they can pay you?
We had this compensation a few years back with a different airline & we were asked for bank details.

Last edited by balthy; Aug 14th, 2022 at 10:53 PM.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 11:20 PM

Transferring money with sorting code and account number is a common transaction in the UK. Even my plumber prefers to be paid that way.
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Heimdall
Transferring money with sorting code and account number is a common transaction in the UK. Even my plumber prefers to be paid that way.
It is normal in Europe too. Some websites of smaller businesses give this details at the bottom.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. It is just not something I normally do. I didn’t know if this was a common practice.
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 10:01 AM

I do that in the US also, that is what you have to do to transfer money between bank accounts, of course. Those pay apps are for small amounts and aren't protected, anyway (Venmo). But I"m not surprised an airline wouldn't be using them anyway, even if you can for small amts (and I have no idea if you can do that internationally).

Any major US bank should accept checks in foreign currency. I know Cap One 360 does, and they are a pretty basic service banking online account. So does Chase Bank, I have an acct with them and know they do. Of course any bank should know how to convert foreign currency to US dollars using exchange rates, that's what they do. I guess if you have some small town limited bank you should ask. If they won't , you'd have to open a Cap One 360 acct or something for free to get it and that might take a while to get an acct number, don't know. It is online so maybe not.