Recommend a town NEAR the Cinque Terre?

Old Aug 10th, 2022, 06:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Recommend a town NEAR the Cinque Terre?

I recall reading a reply recently where the helpful person recommended two or three towns near the CT (for day trip access) but which had similar charm and perhaps fewer crowds than the CT towns themselves. But as is typically the case, I didn’t save it and can no longer find it. I have stayed in Santa Margherita before, but would prefer to be a bit closer this time. I would appreciate your guidance, thank you in advance.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 06:56 AM

We loved staying in Camolgi, a smaller town north of cinque Terre. Hotel Cenebio dei Dogi is excellent. We’ve also stayed at Villa Rosamarino, a smaller boutique hotel set in the foothills.

Last edited by macdogmom; Aug 10th, 2022 at 06:59 AM.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 08:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What time of year?

You need to decide how far you're willing to travel on a day trip. Camogli is recommended often here, but for me it's too far by train... 90 minutes, 1-2 changes, to Vernazza. If I was planning to explore the CT towns more or less every day, I'd rather stay south of Sestri Levante. If I wanted to explore by ferry, I'd probably want to stay not too far north of Levanto.

It also depends on the atmosphere you're looking for. I like Corniglia which is not on the water but up on a cliff. It has train service but no ferry service which I think cuts down a bit on the crowds. Because of its position, there's a stairway/scalinata between the train station and the town... about 400 shallow steps, almost ramp-like. It's another reason I think Corniglia gets fewer visitors, but perhaps a reason some might not like the town as a base for exploring. (There is a shuttle bus to/from the station which we never used.) Water views are wonderful and little reminiscent of the AC.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 08:51 AM

Are you thinking of Portovenere? It’s very near the CT and accessible to the towns by ferry. It’s got plenty of charm and, at least when we were there, mostly visited by Italian families (though this was 20+ years ago, so I’m sure things change). But it’s beautifully sited and we liked it more than the CT.

Last edited by progol; Aug 10th, 2022 at 08:53 AM.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 12:10 PM

We have stayed in Monterosso on two separate trips and really liked it. Before and after the day trippers are there, it is a very quiet place. We took day trips from there. One day we took the train to the northwest to Santa Margherita Ligure, a town we had glimpsed from the train on a previous trip to Cinque Terre. Santa Margherita is a beautiful town. It has a nice harbor with many pleasure craft and there are terra cotta buildings ringing the harbor. We walked along the sea, had lunch at a restaurant on the harbor, and watched fishermen bringing in their catch, We visited the fish market where many locals were buying fish. It was a very nice day trip.

Another day, no ferries were running among the five villages because of choppy waters, There was a ferry to Portovenere, so we went there. It is a grand town, with a great waterfront and sea promenade. We found a nice waterfront bar, Gelateria Doria, where we had great snacks and drinks. We explored the town and then headed back to Monterosso on the ferry.

Although both were day trips, I think either town would be a lovely place to stay.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 12:16 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
We enjoyed staying in Levanto the two times we visited Cinque Terre. Very short train ride (unless you catch the wrong train like we did one evening) to the five towns.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 01:03 PM

Sestri Levante is really nice too.

https://www.google.com/search?q=sest...h=675&dpr=1.17
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 07:15 PM
pat

Stayed in Levanto and walked/hiked the trail from there down to the Cincque Terra villages. It was a real highlight of our trip. We took a train back to Levanto.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 05:04 AM

We visited Lerici shortly after this article was published in 2010 and found it charming and not overrun with tourists.
Old Aug 11th, 2022, 01:42 PM

The ferries are a nice way to reach the CT villages but they cost more than a train ticket or even a week train pass for the CT, IIRC.

So if one is staying for several days and expect to train to or between the villages, it could add up.

BTW, when were the mudslides that shut down the Blue path? They're still working on it after it seems like 10 years?
Old Aug 14th, 2022, 05:59 AM

Levanto on one end of the 5T and Portovenere on the other. Both are lovely towns and easily accessible to the 5T. Portovenere is a bit larger and livelier than Levanto.