Provence & French Riviera Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2022, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have had 7 trips to Europe and are planning our first trip to Provence & the French Riviera in late May through early June. We are in our mid 60's and in pretty good health. Our interests are driving through beautiful country sides, beautiful villages and good food. We enjoy easy walks and some museums. I am very interested in French antiques and nice housewares. A must for me are the markets in St. Remy, Aix and L'isle-sur-la-Sourge. Our itinerary so far:
-Fly into Nice. Spend four nights in Nice. Day trips (by bus or train) along the coast.
-The next morning pick up a rental car and drive to St. Paul de Vence for 3 nights. Day trips around the hill towns.
-Drive to St. Remy. Spend five nights. Market in St. Remy on Wednesday. Day trips in the area.
-Drive to Gordes. Spend three nights. Market in L'isle-sur-la-Sourge on Sunday. Day trips around the Luberon.
-Drive to Aix. Spend three nights. Aix market one morning. Day trip to Casis with a boat trip of the Calanques.
- Fly home the next day from Marseille.
I am conflicted whether to add 3 nights in St. Tropez between St. Paul and St. Remy. This would take one night from St. Remy and we would just add two more nights to the trip.
We probably won't be back in this area. Too many other parts of Europe we want to explore.
Advice, thoughts?

Last edited by grmurphy; Feb 15th, 2022 at 03:45 PM. Reason: grammer
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 04:09 PM

I would stick with your original schedule. St Tropez would make things a little "too-fast". If you were 30 years younger, I might suggest St Tropez, however.

I'm guessing that you already have my itinerary (you are following my suggestions almost exactly). Just in case you don't - I'll attach it

Stu Dudley
Attached Files
Old Feb 15th, 2022, 11:57 PM

In summer, the traffic into and out of St Tropez is horrendous, consuming more of your day than you might have planned. Not sure how bad it would be early June, but it is something to consider. Agree with Stu, your itinerary is very good as is.

If you are interested in French antiques, the best market for them in France is Drouot in Paris. Here is a copy of what was sold this week:

https://www.gazette-drouot.com/vente...ptures-bronzes
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your replies. Stu, yes, I have read your itinerary. It was very helpful. Sarastro, unfortunately we won't be in Paris on this trip. But I'll keep that info for the next time we are in Paris. I'm sticking with my original itinerary. I had suspected St. Tropez might not be worth the time it would take.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 12:02 PM

On your Nice stay, if you cross a Monday, be sure to hit the Cours Saleya market. It turns into a brocante/antique/flea market that day. There is a small antique district near the Port, with a few indoor markets. I assume you'll hit places like Menton, Antibes/Cannes, Villefranche-sur-Mer, etc. Eze is another destination but can also be efficiently reach by car (and combined with trips to La Turbe/Peille/Peillon)

It depends on how much you want to explore the Nice Hinterlands, but three days in St Paul means you ahve time to further afield than just Tourettes-sur-Loup and Gourdon . You can consider a side trip into the border towns (I usually recommend the train de merveilles from Nice) but you can drive as well. The towns on the Italian side up from Vintemille (Vintimiglia) like Dolceaqua and Apricale are special. Of course there are closer drives to places like Biot, Mougins, St. Agnes

I'm not quite so negative on St Tropez in late May early June. I've been at that time and the traffic is bad but not horrendous. And, you really have to hit it on the way in. Once on the peninsula you can head east through the wonderful coast to Hyeres, Porquerolles island and/or other villages. There are less trafficked ways back to the main tollway. The beaches (like the famous Pampelonne at Ramatuelle) are some of the loveliest around, although yes the clubs at Pampelonne do have a younger following.
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much gooster. As it happens, we will be in Nice on a Monday. I will definitely put the Cours Salyea market on my list as well as the antique district near the port. I'll also consider a side trip to the border towns. We'll see how the time goes.
Old Feb 18th, 2022, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by grmurphy
Thank you so much gooster. As it happens, we will be in Nice on a Monday. I will definitely put the Cours Salyea market on my list as well as the antique district near the port. I'll also consider a side trip to the border towns. We'll see how the time goes.
If you do go to the market, it is a morning thing so you have the rest of the day. The small quarter near the Port isn't that large -- the market in my view is better unless you are looking at fine antique furniture. There are a couple of small markets with leased stalls, and some high end private dealers (a few private dealers are also in the Carre d'Or and the old town).
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 12:16 AM
mjs

So nice to see a well thought out itinerary. Think either option is fine