Paris Accommodations May 2023

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2022, 11:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a general question, so please don't criticize, Fodorites! I'm looking for a recommended hotel or B&B in Paris for 4 nights in mid-May 2023. We have been to Paris only twice, quite a few years ago, and liked the St. Germain des Pres and le Marais areas. We aren't limited to those areas though. We have done the big tourist attractions, and are looking to relax, poke around parks and cafes, etc. We are attending a concert at the Paris la Defense Arena on the last night, but that isn't really of consequence as we'll figure out how to get there. We will be two couples, but one couple is coming from Belgium and won't be staying there as long as we are, so getting an airbnb doesn't seem worth the extra price for a larger place - although I could be convinced otherwise!

I recently read the post about Gites de France and the cancelation policy and aggregators like booking.com. I admit to using booking.com successfully in the past but was looking for some personal recommendations from this community for properties I might not otherwise find. It would be nice to have a terrace or somewhere to relax at the property outside of the room, but it isn't required.

Thank you in advance. Your suggestions and recommendations are always appreciated!
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 12:42 AM

I would still use Booking for reviews. Better than TA as the viewers have actually stayed at the property. TAs reviews are not so controlled. Then search for the accommodation and reserve directly.
You are more likely to have a far greater number of reviews on Booking then say the one or two here..
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 04:03 AM

La Defense is on the very outskirts of Paris so the question is whether you can get back to the centre after a late-night concert. Maybe check when the Metro line closes down.

Without knowledge of your budget it is difficult to suggest specific properties. Instead, perhaps try the Accor chain of hotels, Europe's biggest, with brands at various prices.

My choice is the Ibis budget collection, with hotels in many areas of the city. These properties are either new or conversions of older buildings, usually lacking “character” but very efficiently run. This home page will lead you to Ibis which markets at three price levels.

https://group.accor.com/en

Many will argue, but I usually find lower prices through booking agencies – Hotels.com, Booking.com – than from the hotel directly.

My favourite neighbourhood is Place de la Republic. It lacks major tourist attractions but is served by five Metro lines so getting to other places is easy.
Old Sep 28th, 2022, 10:34 PM

La Defense is on the very outskirts of Paris
La Defense is not in Paris at all. Paris ends at Porte Maillot and la Defense is well west of there. Stay in Paris, state your budget window in euros, and you'll probably receive a number of excellent hotel recommendations.
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your suggestions. I've been away and off grid for a few days. Since my original post we've decided to rent an apartment (Air BnB or VRBO type) for 4 nights for 2 couples. I will check carefully on transportation after the concert. In the US they typically know when there is going to be a big concert and add additional trains, buses, etc. on those nights. But it is a good caution. Our budget for the apartment is around $300/30 Euros per night. We are looking in the area around Place de la Republique. Again, thanks for your suggestions!
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 06:21 PM

Paris is a city where I will no longer use AirBnb or vrbo. We had excellent apartment stays there in the past as a family of four, but I now realize that corporate lust for profits is driving real Parisians out of the center. There are Aparthotels, admittedly less charming, but really hotels are the sustainable way to go.
Old Oct 2nd, 2022, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by cindyj
Thank you all for your suggestions. I've been away and off grid for a few days. Since my original post we've decided to rent an apartment (Air BnB or VRBO type) for 4 nights for 2 couples. I will check carefully on transportation after the concert. In the US they typically know when there is going to be a big concert and add additional trains, buses, etc. on those nights. But it is a good caution. Our budget for the apartment is around $300/30 Euros per night. We are looking in the area around Place de la Republique. Again, thanks for your suggestions!
There will be more reviews on those sites then here. Just use them. They will have far more than what you may see here.
Old Oct 3rd, 2022, 11:26 AM

Since you've decided where to stay, I don't think there is anything anyone on here can do for recommendations, so yes, check the vendor's website. That's a convenient location though.

BTW I know the entire US does not extend metro/buses just due to a concert. They don't where I live. That is an expensive proposition and they aren't going to do it everywhere for a for-profit enterprise like a concert. They won't do it where I live even for sports games unless the team pays for it, which they should. They aren't charities. those sports events make a lot of money. But Paris has a much better transportation system, they even have some buses that run all night and they don't where I olive. I think NYC has the most metro coverage hours in the US. The RER and metro run until about 1 am anyway, though. On Fri/Sat the metro runs until about 2 am.