Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Munich-Berlin (12 nights) itinerary - feedback?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5th, 2022, 03:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all,

I am planning a trip to Europe where part of the itinerary will involve flying into MUC and out of BER. My current thoughts are to allocate up to 12 nights for this, as follows:
  • Munich: 3 nights (Have been before for 3 nights but not in a decade or more; visited Dachau as well)
  • Rothenburg: 2 nights
  • Nurnberg: 2 nights
  • Dresden: 2 nights
  • Berlin: 3 nights
Other than Munich, I have not been to any of these places before.

A few questions:
  • Would you swap out any of these places for other towns/cities?
  • I have not decided on having a car or just training. Probably leaning towards a car, but your thoughts are very welcome. Is there likely to be a charge for renting in MUC and dropping in BRS?
  • Is this too many stops? Should I consolidate into fewer locations (stay longer in fewer places) and work out of those places to see all the cities on my itinerary. Related to this, would you increase or decrease the time in any place?
  • Any hotel recommendations (ideally in the Euro 125-175 range per night)? Well-located or charming a plus. If you are familiar with Marriott Bonvoy hotels in any of these places, I'd be particularly interested in your thoughts on them (especially in Munich: is the Westin Grand Muncih worth staying it given its location? The Le Meridien is much closer to city center but a fair bit more expensive)
Thanks in advance!

John H

Last edited by jh6000; Feb 5th, 2022 at 03:31 PM. Reason: add questions
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 03:41 PM

Hi John, I can't offer any thoughts on hotels but just a few thoughts about your itinerary. It looks quite good (all good destinations) except I think you need to work in travel days into the sequence. Nürnberg to Dresden is a longer stretch than any of the others and I think you need to work out how much time travel will take you, because your 2 nights might only end up being a day on the ground or less with that. Let's for a minute assume you will take the train - use www.bahn.com to do the timings by rail so you have at least a grasp of what this will look like. All of this places are well-connected by rail except Rothenburg odT which is in a sort of rail cul-de-sac and lengthy to get to by train even though it's close as the crow flies. If you want to drive, Rome2Rio could be helpful with timings. You could also do a combination of car and train, maybe car between Munich and Nürnberg to cover that day with RodT, drop it off there and then train. You don't really want a car in the cities, German cities are pedestrianised and you will have to pay for parking.

Also a tip about Berlin - huge urban sprawl with lots of neighbourhoods and no really good city centre IMO. The important thing, whether you stay in east or west, is that you are near the U-Bahn or the S-Bahn.

Lavandula
Old Feb 5th, 2022, 03:50 PM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
We've stayed at both the Courtyard by Marriott and the Residence Inn by Marriott in Munich Ost. Both are located walking distance from Munich Ost train station. We like the area, and it's short train ride to Marienplatz and a straight shot to the airport.

These days though, I prefer staying closer to the Hauptbahnhof - the hotel options are endless. I like Hotel Marc Munchen.

I've been everywhere on your list (some many times) except for Berlin. Personally, I'd allocate more time to Dresden - lots to see and do there.

By Rothenburg I assume you mean Rothenburg ob der Tauber. I like the Klosterstüble, but there are many "charming" options.

Remember two nights only gives you one full day to explore. Your itinerary is a bit fast paced for me. I'd make one less stop and spend more time in fewer places, personally.

I'd definitely take the train and forget about the car. Parking can be expensive and IMO stressful.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 01:07 AM

If you can get a deal within your price range, then the Gewandhaus Hotel Dresden (Autograph collection) is not to beat for you. Charming, luxurious, centrally located.

There is never enough time ... If you have already been to Munich, why not skip it and spend longer time elsewhere?
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 02:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I might look at Wurzberg or Bamburg
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 04:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with Mel that you are really selling yourself short by cramming in so many places. And looking at the train timetable you have to change at Nuremberg to get to Rotenburg, so why not do it as a day trip, instead of spending a night there? If you took a night off Munich and added that to Nuremberg, [to give you time for the day trip] this would leave you more time for Dresden and Berlin.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. As an update:

I've adjusted the itinerary now as follows:
  • Munich: 3 nights [Westin Grand Munich -- i like the hotel and facilities; have to confirm that the location will work, otherwise will find something closer to central Munich]
  • Nurnberg: 3 nights (day trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber) [Sheraton Carlton Hotel Nuernberg]
  • Dresden: 3 nights [Gewandhaus Hotel Dresden (Autograph collection)]
  • Berlin: 3 nights (may well add a 4th night here, either reducing MUC by one night or just adding on here) [Westin Grand Berlin]
I think we'll stick with trains for convenience and not having to worry about driving or parking in cities/in or near old towns

Thanks so much and any other thoughts welcome. Now on to planning Portugal!

John H

Old Feb 7th, 2022, 02:05 PM

That looks like a much better balanced trip. Well done.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 02:37 PM

If you can scrape together that extra night for Berlin without taking away from the others, do so. There is a lot to do in Berlin and you might want a day trip out to Potsdam as well.

Lavandula
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 01:54 AM

Originally Posted by lavandula
If you can scrape together that extra night for Berlin without taking away from the others, do so. There is a lot to do in Berlin and you might want a day trip out to Potsdam as well.

Lavandula
agreed. We had a day in Potsdam and loved it.
Old Mar 21st, 2022, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I was able to add a day to Berlin (so 4 nights there now).

Given the 3 days in Munich, Nuremberg, Dresden and 4 nights in Berlin, what day trips would you suggest I do, given that every city other than Munich is new to me so I want to make sure that I have ample time to see each of these cities themselves? We will be doing this trip completely by train/public transportation.

Also, if you have any favorite restaurants in these cities -- especially if they are walkable from my hotel (see earlier in this thread) -- that would be very much appreciated.

Thanks so much.

John H
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 11:15 AM

Three days means two nights, right? In Dresden you will arrive about noon and depart latest at noon the third day, I guess. That gives you barely two half days and a full day. Of course it all depends on your interests - museums? Art? History? The State Art Collections in Dresden have twelve museums (if I got that right, at least when I counted last time) and all of them are worth seeing. Highlights are the Picture Gallery Old Masters in the Zwinger, the Historic and the New Green Vault(s) and the Armoury in the Royal Palace IMO. The buildings are well worth seeing alone, too. (Royal Apartments in the Royal Palace, the Zwinger from outside.) A guided tour of the magnificent Semperoper is also highly recommended (attending a performance even better), a walk along Brühl's terrace is a must, ditto visits of the two churches Frauenkirche and Hofkirche (Catholic Cathedral). All that is barely doable in one full day. Or in two half days. So you need to prioritize.

For day trips a paddle steamer trip on the Elbe river upstream to Pillnitz Palace and gardens is highly recommended. Doable in a half day, maybe on arrival day. It gives you a good overview of the city, especially if you take bus 63 back to Körnerplatz and from there the suspension railway up to Oberloschwitz from where you have a great panoramic view of the city. The steamboat ride alone will provide you with beautiful views of the historic residential areas, the hillsides dotted with splendid villas, castles, vineyards ...

If you have time, cross the river and dip into the Neustadt district. The "New" town is not really new, the area by the river has some nice Baroque architecture and a beautiful pedestrian zone (Hauptstraße). Restaurant L'art de vie is recommended, ditto the neighbouring Winzerstube zum Rebstock.
Farther beyond Alberplatz begins the vibrant nightlife district with pubs, ethnic restaurants, small theatres, clubs etc. which is also worth seeing during the day - street art, quirky shops etc.
There are really good restaurant there, too. I love La Casina Rosa (my favourite Italian restaurant in the city) and Raskolnikoff.

Your hotel (Gewandhaus Hotel) has an excellent steak restaurant. Avoid restaurant Rauschenbach Deli in the restaurant/pub district behind your hotel towards Kreuzkirche - a dump. Others in that area are ok - Tapas Barcelona e.g. and La Osteria. The restaurants around the Frauenkirche / Neumarkt area are pretty good but touristy and a bit overpriced. But in walking distance. I've been to Classico Italiano, Restaurant Moritz and Freiberger Schankhaus - all good.
Old Mar 22nd, 2022, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the thoughts and feedback, Ingo.

And it is 3 NIGHTS in Munich, Dresden and Nuremberg and 4 NIGHTS in Berlin. Apologies for not being consistent in my language across the cities!
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 01:22 PM

3 nights would give you a full day more in those cities. That would allow a day trip to either Meissen (porcelain manufacture, castle, cathedral, beautiful old town), castle Moritzburg (possibly in combination with narrow-gauge steam train Radebeul - Moritzburg, and maybe a wine tasting in Radebeul - Hofloessnitz e.g.) or an excursion to the National Park Saxon Switzerland with the bizarre sandstone formations, canyons, cute villages, castles, old town Pirna ...
Old Mar 23rd, 2022, 03:48 PM

I agree with Ingo that Dresden needs another night... I suggest taking one from Munich since you've been there previously. If one didn't need a Marriott, the Hilton is a great location near the Frauenkirche and Brühl's Terrace which is a lovely spot.