Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Looking for great food oriented and other activities in the Dordogne, Perigord Noir.

Search

Looking for great food oriented and other activities in the Dordogne, Perigord Noir.

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all,

I’m leaving mid September for a three month location scouting trip for a possible move to France and will be in nine different areas for ten days at a time. In this post I am looking for great food oriented and other activity recommendations in the Dordogne, specifically within 1.5-2 hours of Val de Louyre et Caudeau which is 30 minutes west of Sarlat. I will be there the beginning of October.

As an ex Paris trained chef and editorial photographer I am greatly interested in all things food oriented. Markets, artisan food producers (bakers, organic gardeners,cheese producers,wineries,chefs,charcuterie producers)

I would appreciate any personal contacts people have for any of these artisans as I will be working on a potential photo project of these types of individuals. Restaurants on the more casual, regional, rustic, authentic side of the scale. I enjoy exploring villages, hiking a bit, scenic drives, vide greniers, festivals, photographing landscapes and local architecture. I may try to do a bit of canoeing and fly fishing. Not into museums in a big way and will be spending most of my time outside of cites proper.

Looking forward to any potential responses and thanks so much for reading my post.

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 06:55 AM

Nine different areas for ten days at a time? I assume you have an EU passport then? 90 Days includes arrival and departure days for those without.
Also if you are working you can't be on a tourist visa.
Even if you are EU ten days isn't much time to get a feel for an area and meet and develop a relationship with artisans, so that they would agree to a photo project.

You need also to be aware of the drought affecting most of Europe this year, which is affecting harvests and production, and with rivers at record low levels you'll be lucky to manage any fly fishing. You will need a licence for that as well. One for each department.

Old Aug 9th, 2022, 10:53 PM

Have you any experience in photography in a small busy restaurant kitchen?
Is this a change or in addition to the trip you plan here?
Looking for great food oriented and other activities in the Aveyron.
In this you say you want to retire. If i recall retiring is not working on any projects. So you may find there is a conflict with your visa application and what you want to undertake.
Resources for single,retired American wanting to move to France
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2
Nine different areas for ten days at a time? I assume you have an EU passport then? 90 Days includes arrival and departure days for those without.
Also if you are working you can't be on a tourist visa.
Even if you are EU ten days isn't much time to get a feel for an area and meet and develop a relationship with artisans, so that they would agree to a photo project.

You need also to be aware of the drought affecting most of Europe this year, which is affecting harvests and production, and with rivers at record low levels you'll be lucky to manage any fly fishing. You will need a licence for that as well. One for each department.
Yes, I am aware of all of the above and have accounted for it. This is likely just a personal project/self published,if at all and I'm not making any money from it so I am not working in France. I have fly fished in the Basque country so am also well aware of your comments about licenses and water levels.
Old Aug 10th, 2022, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VANAARLE
Have you any experience in photography in a small busy restaurant kitchen?
Is this a change or in addition to the trip you plan here?
Looking for great food oriented and other activities in the Aveyron.
In this you say you want to retire. If i recall retiring is not working on any projects. So you may find there is a conflict with your visa application and what you want to undertake.
Resources for single,retired American wanting to move to France
As a matter of fact, yes I do have experience shooting in small restaurant kitchens having worked as an editorial photographer for fifteen years. Also having worked in professional kitchens I am very well suited to navigating these environments. One can be "retired financially" and still be working on rewarding personal projects, whatever they may be.