Itinerary - what do you think?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2022, 12:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With 3 children will be ages 13, 9, 5 planning to drive from paris next end of september.
- day1: landing midnight sleep in airport hotel
- day2: driving around noon to Epernay, visit Mercier cellar and another one. Sleep there.
- day3: drive to Trier (stop somewhere??), visit Trier. Stay stay 3 nights in Eurener Hof. Not in the center.
-day4: take a train from Trier to Luxembourg city to visit
- day5: drive to Eltz catle and visit Bernkaster (anythink else?).
- day6 - drive to Europe Park and visit Primark and flacon show in Alsace and a village. Sleep 3 nights ib europe park
- day7: europe park
- Day8: europe park
- day 9: drive to stasbourg to return car and train to Paris
days 10-11: paris
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 04:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In Trier we normally stay in the hotels of Olewig, but maybe you have chosen your hotel for the spa. Olewig is a pretty little suburb and on the pleasant side of the river. So nothing wrong with your choice, just not what I would have done and you might miss out on the Roman hippodrome.

Do you mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernkastel-Kues Bernkastel?
There are many many lovely villages along the Mosel so hard to recommend any one. Kues is not especially nice but it does have a massive wine library.
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 09:38 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
In Trier we normally stay in the hotels of Olewig, but maybe you have chosen your hotel for the spa. Olewig is a pretty little suburb and on the pleasant side of the river. So nothing wrong with your choice, just not what I would have done and you might miss out on the Roman hippodrome.

Do you mean https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernkastel-Kues Bernkastel?
There are many many lovely villages along the Mosel so hard to recommend any one. Kues is not especially nice but it does have a massive wine library.

Well I chose Eurener-Hof Hotel not because of spa just because its interior looks great in pictures and people rating said it has charming decorations. We usually look beautiful places to stay. Do you this place? I guess it not the most practical but assume I can get to Trier center parking lot in few minutes if driving or take a bus.Am I right?

i alao meant this village:
https://handluggageonly.co.uk/2020/0...es-in-germany/
Which looks lovely. I understand its name is bernkastel-kues.

do you think it is reasonable itinerary? Driving a lot few days but not too much?

As for Eltz it is 1.5 hours from our hotel. Do you think ww should make an effort and be there around 08:45 (or even before??) before all the crowds are coming? End of september, middle of week.
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 11:12 PM

Yes the Itin is not bad

I think you have to balance your family needs as well as just the itin, so hard to guide as I've not had to do that

The Mosel is very wiggly and there are lots of places to visit along it. Bernkastel is as good a visit as any, there are a few bends in the river of more than 360 degrees and your kids might like the view and walk in the woods. They might also like to hire bikes and ride a bit of the Mosel bike path or follow the high walk (a walk along the river cliff heights).

Epernay, is a nice visit, you'll find the Avenue de Champagne is full of Houses you can visit and TInformation is really helpful

Alsace has great walks, castles, a concentration camp and militarised/fortified towns you'll enjoy

Never been to Europa-Parc so no idea

Trier Parking lot, there are a few and very clean, the central ones fill up fast and are more expensive. The shopping area around Porta Negra is interesting and also further out towards the Roman Baths is worth a visit and parking might be easier.

Burg Eltz in mid Sept, should be fine, no need to be early in my mind
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 01:49 AM

Bilbo has given me pleasant minutes trying to visualize a > 360 degree river bend.

Sounds like a wonderful trip.
Old Oct 29th, 2022, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by stokebailey
Bilbo has given me pleasant minutes trying to visualize a > 360 degree river bend.

Sounds like a wonderful trip.
Yeah, I wondered too. This is on the Saar (just along from the Mosel), >180 degrees

https://www.dw.com/en/the-saar-river-bend/a-18925431
Old Oct 30th, 2022, 06:10 AM

That looks a fun river to float.

I wonder whether OP might want to add more info to thread title? I don't have any helpful advice.