Is a month too long for Sicily?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:16 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm beginning to plan for Sicily, I want to catch the train from Milan and go across on the ferry. I have a month to spare. While in Sicily I would like to do a beach resort stay, some interior towns - with no car so busses, as well as all the must see places, all by train or bus. I'd love to include a ferry to somewhere. I'll be alone and a nervous traveller who does not like to rush anything. Is a month too long? Could/should i continue my trip via ferry to somewhere with an international airport to fly out of? thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Definitely not too long. For my (dated) TR see: Crumbling Palazzos and Creamy Cannoli - Savoring Sicily

Ferries back to Italy or on to Malta definitely exist. Take a look here: https://www.directferries.co.uk/

That is a VERY long train ride from Milan. I did it from Naples, and it took all day to Siracusa. I would stop off along the way - Rome, Naples, Amalfi Coast.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Fabulous! I am a long train ride buff.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 12:07 PM

Hi and welcome vintageliz, A month is wonderful. Bus schedules to some of the sites will slow you down a bit. My hub and I went from Palermo to Siracusa by bus. Here's my, also dated, TR. If your screen is small, please turn it for widest viewing'

Sicily 2002 - A Trip of Miracles

There are two more parts to this trip so click on my name and scroll down to the trip of miracles threads. And, let everyone know how it goes!

Last edited by TDudette; Feb 16th, 2022 at 12:10 PM.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 12:10 PM
Original Poster

oh, thank you! Yes i've read about the busses. I'll read your trip report - currently in the middle of Thursdaysd's.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 06:50 PM

We are fast travelers. Our trip reports include such titles as 16 countries in 30 days, 3 countries and 8 places in 8 days, Cinque Terre and 20 places in 8 days, and more recently 40 towns and cities in Umbria in 4 weeks. And, lest anyone judges, read the reports and you will find them, although not for everyone, rewarding and wonderful. At least for us, and that is what matters, of course. I only mention that because we are currently planning 4 weeks in Sicily, pretty much the upcoming month of May. We have been there twice before, and will not include Taormina, Trapani, Marsala, Erice, Palermo and Siracusa, where we have been before. We, however, want to revisit a few places we have been before, spend a few days with some distant relatives AND try to see as many as 90 towns and cities (the list keeps growing) that seem worth a visit. We will probably have to miss a few. We will have a car. In answer to your question, a month, especially for someone who prefers to take it slow, is not too much. Never too much. Especially in Sicily.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

ok, thanks I'll take a look and watch out for your new report. If I had a car Id be a faster traveller. I have no problem with that.