Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel with cooling airconditioning in Granada?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2022, 04:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
We shall spend a coiuple of nights in Granada and booked the Melia Granada Hotel - we shall be there over easter (April) and apparently the airconditioning won't be on at that time of year, besides which it sounds as if they do not have very good aircon no matter what - so I shall cancel our stay there. Unfortunately we are going over Easter so we are dreading the Easter parades (been there before) so can anyone recommend a hotel in Granada that does not have these rigid rules about aircon (I always these days need cooling aircon in hotel rooms where mainly one can't open the windows, they are absolutely airless!)
So, any recommendations for a hotel in Granada that does not have such rigid rules!
Thanks in advance
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 01:18 PM

Many older hotels in Spain simply don't turn on their ac systems in the spring regardless of how hot it gets. The only way you'll know for sure is to email the other hotels you're considering to ask. If they're within your budget, I would shoot an email to the Marriott Autograph Collection Palacio de Santa Paula (priciest), the Aurea Catedral (formerly Eurostars), the Gar-Anat, Room Mate Leo or the Casa 1800 to ask.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 02:03 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
"So, any recommendations for a hotel in Granada that does not have such rigid rules!
Thanks in advance"

Not sure about Granada, but in some places it is municipal regulation/rule that a/c cannot be turned on until later in the season.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 03:21 PM
twk

There are some modern hotels (not as central to the tourist sites) that I'm pretty sure have windows that don't open, and therefore, I would assume will have HVAC operating year round. We turned in our rental car at one such hotel, but it seems to have changed names since 2018 and I can't find it now. At any rate, I'd look for that kind of hotel, then call or email.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by twk
There are some modern hotels (not as central to the tourist sites) that I'm pretty sure have windows that don't open, and therefore, I would assume will have HVAC operating year round. We turned in our rental car at one such hotel, but it seems to have changed names since 2018 and I can't find it now. At any rate, I'd look for that kind of hotel, then call or email.

I agree -- the easiest way to guarantee a/c year round is with a modern purpose built chain hotel.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 06:59 PM

What janisj said.
Old Feb 6th, 2022, 11:40 PM

Why air cooling in April? Aren't you more likely to need heating than cooling at that time of year?

I've heard the same as janisj, that this is government mandated, although I'm not certain of Granada specifically.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 12:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From my little amount of knowledge more true in Italy but certainly possible in southern Spain.
Old Feb 7th, 2022, 06:50 AM

It sounds like the OP mostly wants a/c because of noise from outside.

An aside - "besides which it sounds as if they do not have very good aircon no matter what " . . . Typically, European hotels don't have the frigid forced air a/c some are used to in the States. (Some big chain-type hotels do)
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Nothing to do with noise from outside, mainly hotels have windows that don't open because they're worried about children falling out of windows - I want cooling aircon because I like a cool room and Europe is already hot in April
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 12:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
"mainly hotels have windows that don't open because they're worried about children falling out of windows"

I'd never heard of that, is that a Spanish thing?

Aircon, welcome to a part of the world where climate change is taken seriously
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by patriciatbrogan
Nothing to do with noise from outside, mainly hotels have windows that don't open because they're worried about children falling out of windows - I want cooling aircon because I like a cool room and Europe is already hot in April
I only posted you might want a/c to avoid street noise . . . because:
Originally Posted by patriciatbrogan
Unfortunately we are going over Easter so we are dreading the Easter parades (been there before) so can anyone recommend a hotel in Granada that does not have these rigid rules about aircon . . .

You did seem to link open windows and the 'unfortunate' Easter parades. Guess that's not what you meant??

Hotels sealing windows to prevent children falling out - not a thing I've heard of. Hotels that have sealed windows are almost always hermetically sealed modern builds.
Old Feb 8th, 2022, 01:06 PM

What janisj said, yet again.

You might ask if the hotels you're considering are located directly on one of the many procession routes, as well, if you are concerned about street noise and/or congested streets. But both are hard to avoid completely during Holy Week in Granada.