Help with travel from Budapest to Krakow - and lodging

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2021, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I will be taking a river cruise May or June of 2022. We'll end in Budapest and want to travel on our own to Krakow. Train? plane?
Once in Krakow, we'll be looking for lodging - not the fancy 4 and 5 star hotels, but modest accommodations in good walking areas, and where we'd still get help with making plans to visit Auschwitz. We may also consider visiting Warsaw after Krakow. We welcome your suggestions!
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 09:39 PM
Forum Moderator

Moved to the Europe forum
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 06:58 AM

Krakow / Warsaw / Auschwitz / Salt Mines

Originally Posted by golfbuddy
My wife and I will be taking a river cruise May or June of 2022. We'll end in Budapest and want to travel on our own to Krakow. Train? plane?
Once in Krakow, we'll be looking for lodging - not the fancy 4 and 5 star hotels, but modest accommodations in good walking areas, and where we'd still get help with making plans to visit Auschwitz. We may also consider visiting Warsaw after Krakow. We welcome your suggestions!
From Budapest to Krakow - Plane would be your best option, since you have large mountains between those 2 cities - train / bus travel be longer and not so comfortable. In Krakow check out Hotel Wyspianski ( https://www.hotel-wyspianski.pl/en/ ) ( https://www.booking.com/hotel/pl/krakow_wyspianski.html ) which is right outside of the old city wall or search booking.com or similar for many other options within old city of Krakow or Kazimierz, Krakow. Wyspianski was a tourist hotel - so book your excursions to Auschwitz and also worth seeing Salt Mines thru them or your hotel of choice. Also check with any hotel you book if they have a shuttle of some sort to transfer you from airport to the hotel ( since airport is bit outside of the Krakow). As for Warsaw - this maybe a skip, depending on how much time you have ... But now with fast trains between Krakow and Warsaw, it maybe OK for a day trip. If you do opt. for Warsaw - once you arrive hit the "old city" section. and just remember it was leveled during WWII and completely rebuild.
Old Oct 7th, 2022, 11:02 AM

In 2018 we used a company called Krakow Travel Time for a transfer from Budapest to Krakow with a couple of stops along the way. It was a very pleasant experience.
Old Oct 7th, 2022, 12:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Hotel Polonia on Basztowa 25, walking distance from Central train station and Stare Miasto.
Old world charm.
There is train service from the airport to Central station.

https://www.krakowairport.pl/en/pass...port/train-en/
Trains run about every 30 minutes.

Last edited by cdnyul; Oct 7th, 2022 at 12:20 PM.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 10:20 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We had a wonderful stay at Amber Design Hotel. It is in walking distance to the main square but away from the noise there.
Old Oct 8th, 2022, 05:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope you are spending some time in Budapest - one of my favorite cities.

There is a night train, with sleepers, from Budapest to Krakow: https://www.seat61.com/international...udapest-Krakow
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 07:35 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Our Krakiw hotel Amber Design made all of our airport pickup and drop off reservations as well as reservations for an English speaking guided day tour to Auschwitz. Highly recommend this hotel.
Old Oct 9th, 2022, 03:30 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
The trip was last June (or maybe May) . . .
Old Oct 10th, 2022, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for this information. However, we had cancelled this trip, which was scheduled for this past August 2022.