Help me plan my next trip

Old Sep 4th, 2011, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help me plan my next trip

I really need help as to where to go end of next September beginning October! The following is where I have already stayed and enjoyed all of it. We did all of Ludwigs castles, Octoberfest (twice), the Bodensee and Konigsee, Zugspitz, Jenner and so much more. I think the only thing we missed were the Salt and Ice caves and the Sound of Music tour.

AUSTRIA
Hallstatt
Lech
Salzburg

GERMANY
Berchtesgaden
Fussen
Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Howenschwangau
Lindau
Munich
Oberammergau
Passau
Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Schoenau am Konigssee

This is a trip (will be our third) to celebrate our 35th anniversary and my 70 birthday. We love driving so will be hiring a car, not interested in trains. This will most likely be a 3 week vacation as was as our last two vacations.

We both love beautiful scenery, lakes, mountains (by cable or funicular, NO hiking), castles, old architecture. We are not art people, so art museums are out. Churches if exceptional with a maximum of 2 or 3.

My original thought was the Black Forrest, but I must be reading the wrong travel books because I can't seem to find enough to see/do for for a week let alone 3. My second thought was Belgium, but not sure if there is enough to do/see there. Husband has mentioned Amsterdam but, same problem. I can't seem to find enough.

I am the type of traveller who needs a daily schedule, although not strictly adhered to. Just a list of things to do each day.

Anyone care to help with an itinerary?

TIA
Lydia
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 05:32 PM

I suggest you try heading a little north in Germany - perhaps to the Harz Mountains and, gernerally, the area where Lower Saxony, Saxony-Anhalt, and Thuringia "meet".

There are many magnificent towns in the area; Qudelinburg, Goslar, Wernigerode, Hannoversch Muenden, Erfurt, Eisenach, Goettingen.

It has the "old architecture" requirement cornered, with enough Fachwerk to make one dizzy (with glee, in my case). It is a very atmospheric area with a lot of wonderful and very different towns close together.

I could certainly three weeks in the area (and I agree with you that it might be hard to do that in the Black Forest), but if you don't think that it holds quite enough to satisfy you for that long, you could also add in some areas a little farther north, like Celle, Luneberg or even Hamburg, or head west into Belgium.

You could drive down the Mosel to Luxembourg, and then head north through into Belgium; visiting Vianden, Echternach, Dinant, and Namur, before circling back into Germany - Aachen Cathedral would certainly qualify as an "exceptional" church.

I am a confirmed driver, myself so these suggestions are very suitable, even preferable, to that method of travel.
Old Sep 4th, 2011, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Aramis! I will research the towns/areas you have suggested.

Lydia
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 05:46 AM

I would second Aramis' suggestions. Besides the Harz, I'd also check out a few places west of Goslar - Hildesheim, Hameln, and Rinteln - before finalizing your plans. And with 3 full weeks, I see no reason you couldn't combine the Mosel/Ardennes adventure Aramis suggests as well. If you make it to Aachen, check out unique and adorable Monschau, just a bit to the south.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Hi Lydia,

Since scenery, mountains and castles are high on your list, how about including the Italian Dolomites (area roughly between Cortina d'Ampezzo and Bozen/Bolzano) and the Vinschgau/Val Venosta region of the Sud Tirol, just NW of Meran/Merano Italy to the nearby Swiss/Austrian border). Munich makes a great gateway (to fly into/out of) for these area's.

The Val Venosta/Vinschgau has plenty of terrific castles and Alpine scenery.

Castle Coira/Churburg is one of our favorite castles anywhere.

http://www.suedtirolerland.it/en/hig...tel-coira.html

http://www.suedtirolerland.it/en/hig...juval-mmm.html

www.schlosstirol.it/content.php?lang=1

www.marienberg.it

www.muestair.ch

We stayed at and can recommend the Hotel Panorama in Mals/Malles:

www.biohotel-panorama.it

The Dolomites on the other hand are simply spectacular. Dramatic scenery like nowhere else in the alps. We stayed here in the Val Gardena and Alta Badia in '01, '03 and '09.

www.altabadia.org

www.val-gardena.com

We can highly recommend staying at the Ciasa Montanara in La Villa, Alta Badia:

www.montanara.it

or at the Garni Ariston in St. Christina, Val Gardena:

www.garniariston.com

In addition to the mountains, the old towns of Brixen/Bressanone, Bozen/Bolzano and Bruceck/Brunico are all worthwhile. Actually, Brixen/Bressanone is one of our favorite old towns.

www.brixen.org

www.bolzano-bozen.it

We have photo's at:

www.worldisround.com/home/pja1/index.html

Hope this helps.

Paul
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 12:10 PM

As Russ notes, the area west of the Harz is also quite appealing. He names some terrific places - if you want to research the general area, try looking up "Weserbergland".

Generally, it is the Weser River valley and the surrounding area. Hoexter, is another great town and Detmold, a little farther west and not "technically" in Weserbergland is another good choice.

I presume you caught my Quedlinburg misspelling.
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks to all for great ides. I have a lot of reading to do now that I have some more specifics.

Thanks again,
Lydia
Old Sep 5th, 2011, 02:58 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
and the beauty of all of this is that, if you wanted to, you could just book places as you go. there should be no problem in getting rooms for 2 in september/october time.