Good base for Basilicata in May

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2022, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will have 5 weeks in southern Italy in May, pandemic allowing. After 8 days in Lecce, Puglia,, we plan to explore the Basilicata region for a week or so, then on to Naples or Sorrento, Capri, and Rome for 7 to 10 days.
Matera sounds very touristy and difficult to go in/out by car, so where should we base ourselves? Good Masseras in the area? Has anyone stayed in Bernalda? We like nice hotels and good eating. And long drives are anathema.
Old Jan 26th, 2022, 10:14 PM

Yes, Matera is touristy but it's not to miss, IMO.
There are parking garages in the center, but just outside the sassi where you can leave your car during your stay. In case you have a hotel in the sassi (which I recommend) your luggage will be taken there.
I say: GO!
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 02:53 AM

On your way from Lecce to Salerno, you will have to cross the whole Basilicata anyway, from the Ionion Sea up to the Tyrennian Sea. The choice of your base will depend on your interests, on the places you plan to visit.
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 07:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Masseria are what you need to search on, plural Masserie. Either look at Google maps for Basilicata and search on Masseria or try agriturismo.it but of course an agriturismo may not be a Masseria. Hope that helps
Old Jan 27th, 2022, 12:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Neckervd. Point is, we don't know which of the little towns and what areas in Basilicata are worth staying for, let's say a week. And recent reports/etc. are hard to come by for everything besides Matera.

bilboburger, thanks as well. I will fix my spelling while checking Masserie! I know there is an expensive Francis Ford Coppola hotel in Bernalda but unsure if this town is worth a weeks stay and I don't trust celebrity haunts.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 03:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
SLO, I hope you were not offended by my correction. Unlike English where we stumble along with spelling errors and people sort it out in their head it is vital to be correct in Italian, because the language just works and spelling is correct to the pronunciation. So making a mistake may lead you to completely confuse an Italian. Have a great visit and Basilicata has a large national park as well as the odd few Greek temples to check out.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Bilbo,

The offense is directed at myself since I am a retired editor! Typing quickly can get you into trouble if you don't proofread. I understand the language and the pronunciation imperative.Mille graze for your blue pencil, as we say in journalism.

I am now thinking you can do Matera in a day trip I hate the idea of staying in a cave room.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 01:05 PM

<<I am now thinking you can do Matera in a day trip I hate the idea of staying in a cave room. >>

We spent 2 nights in Matera and I would’ve loved at least another night. I found it magical at night and there is much to explore during the day which we only just skimmed. You don’t have to stay in a “cave room”, though most of these rooms are pretty luxe and have nice amenities. There are lots of options that are not cave rooms overlooking the Sassi and which provide good views.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 01:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
SLOleslie, I am with you about Cave Rooms! We stayed in a cave room one time and have avoided them ever since, dark, damp, claustrophobic!
We did not stay in one in Matera although many do. I would give Puglia a few more days of your time.
Old Jan 28th, 2022, 04:46 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
SLOleslie, I am with you about Cave Rooms! We stayed in a cave room one time and have avoided them ever since, dark, damp, claustrophobic!
We did not stay in one in Matera although many do. I would give Puglia a few more days of your time.
Ack, so many opinions! In fact, Happy, I was thinking along the shame lines because it turns out hotels are so booked on Capri in June that now we only have four days in between Lecce and Capri. And the rental car situation is also a bit tricky as far as pick-up and delivery towns. So, we may stay around Martina Franca and/or environs and drop the car off in Bari to take a fast train to Naples on June 2 (a national holiday in Italy, wouldn't you know!). We can still do a day trip to Matera from there is we wish.

Now another conundrum: we have 6-8 days in the Naples area before heading to Rome. Seems like too many for just crazy Naples, but we don't want to move around too much. Maybe Sorrento and take day trips?

Old Jan 30th, 2022, 06:27 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
**I am now thinking you can do Matera in a day trip I hate the idea of staying in a cave room.**

I would stay several nights. If you don't want a cave room down in the Sassi, you can stay just at the top in a hotel. I stayed four nights and will likely go back. I don't know how touristy it will be in May, but there weren't many when I was there in Sept. a few years ago and they didn't speak English. I liked having so many restaurant choices in both areas, but felt the upper part had more going on at night.

**Seems like too many for just crazy Naples, but we don't want to move around too much. Maybe Sorrento and take day trips?**

From Naples you can take the train to Paestum to see the Greek temples or to Caserta to see the Royal Palace. Take a ferry to Ischia or perhaps stay there a couple of nights and have some spa time.

Old Jan 31st, 2022, 12:46 AM

Caserta is the railway station where one has to change trains if one goes from Bari to Naples (Marinobus would be faster and cheaper, however) and there is even a left lugage office (!).